New Meets Old

wombatoutofhell

Hi all-I am getting a puppy on Saturday, a stafford. Currently I have a dog, we think she's something like a staffy X JRT but not really sure as she was a rescue dog from VAAT and they had no idea what she was. Gemma is about 5 years old.

How do I introduce a new puppy to the household without Gemma getting jealous? I want these 2 to be good freinds so want them to start right. Any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated

Mine s a little different because Molly was 8 months old, but with Eddie and Molly we introduced them out the front on the nature strip, let them check each other out on lead to make sure that everything was initially all fine

We then watched them in the back yard off lead, and continually watched them together for the next month or so, we also put them in sperate runs during the day (at the time the run wasn't divided so Eddie stayed in the bathroom and bedroom during the day and Molly had the run

After a week or so we had put a divider in the run, which Molly dug under a few times, and then when the underneath of the divider was secured she started jumping it to be with Eddie

They have been together since

I would just be careful not to favour the pup (I know you've already mentioned this too) :(

good advice shoey,,, the crate is a wonderfull thing.. wouldnt be without one.. mine love their crates.. all i have to say is "bedtime" and they go running in.. lol they have learnt to open the doors if they are closed, not locked but just shut so cute..

Edited by ReXy

Have never even thought of crating the dogs. Gemma is trained to stay in her basket unless called if she's inside. Most of the time she'll go back to it as well. I'm thinking of putting a divider around the dog corner so they can stay in overnight-I doubt I could trust her otherwise. The couple of times we've forgotten to put her out she's been fine, although the kitty litter seems to miraculously clean itself.

Tell me shoey-does westernport have a puppy class? And what are their fees? They dont seem to have a website so info is hard to come by!

im pretty sure they have a puppy class there wombat.. pup does have to have 2nd vacinations,,not sure what other requirments . i have been a member of westernport but that was 3 years ago and my dog then was 10 months old.. some things have changed for the better definatley its a good club... u also have the option of agility later on when the dog is old enough as well,, great grounds there..

i introduced 2 new baby pups to my 2.5yo boy a couple of weeks ago. He is a big boy but very friendly and socialable.

Before bringing them home i set up the baby crate and blankets and let him get used to all their stuff - bought heaps of new toys (he didnt get any til they were home) and treats for pups and Mav so when the babies arrived and were out i could play with him with his new toys - worked really well.

He was a little snappy and boisterous the first few days - so we kept physical contact to a minimum - just sniffing thru the bars - then as he got used to them and played gently with them he was allowed longer with them, they are almost 12 weeks and he is not left unsupervised with either of them - i have build a big puppy pen for the yard so they can play and he can still see them.

He has learnt to play gently with them and that they make lots of noise when they play together - at first he thought they were fighting and split them up!! he jumps over them when running around the yard and gently grooms them :thumbsup:

He has been great and still gets lots of 1 on 1 time with me while they are sleeping - he still sleeps in our room and the babies in their crates in the kitchen.

They all get fed seperately in confined spaces - Mav has got much better but would guard his food when they first arrived, they will try to take food out his mouth if they get the chance!!

Makes sure you spend lots of extra time with Gemma and make her feel special and good when the baby is around. But be very careful until she gets used to puppy.

Make sure you have the camera ready ALL THE TIME - there are so many cute and gorgeous opportunities of them being together. i have hundreds of pics already :D

Sorry I only just saw this

This has only just been started, but gives you times and min ages

http://www.geocities.com/wpodc/

The fees are pretty cheap, like something around $35 a year and $3 per class I think, I will find out definitely for you today if you like or give them a call on the number on the site, they will be there from about 9.30 - 10

Edited by shoemonster

Sorry I only just saw this

This has only just been started, but gives you times and min ages

http://www.geocities.com/wpodc/

The fees are pretty cheap, like something around $35 a year and $3 per class I think, I will find out definitely for you today if you like or give them a call on the number on the site, they will be there from about 9.30 - 10

thanks shoey-I actually rang them last night and got all the details. they dont do puppy because most puppies are not fully vaccinated. Molly's not due for he 3rd vaccinations untill she's 16 weeks old so I'll bring her down them. I might come down with Gemma before then tho

Thanks Akita-as it happened we were pleasently surprised. we expected Gemma to be totally indifferent to Molly unless Molly was getting attention. Gemma likes company but is very choosy about who's company she'll keep-this is true of dogs and humans. Well-they hit it off right away. Yes Gemma didn't like sharing a lap at the start and growled threateningly a few times-but then they started playing and all was good from there. In fact Molly fell asleep and while she was sleeping about every 3 minutes Gemma would come over and give her a nudge to see if she was ready for more playing. Molly has also established a relationship with one of the cats-she follows him around and he ignores her. Same relationship most people have with a cat! Of course the cat in question is old (19 years)and senile-he may not know she's there!

Yes I know to keep the camera handy-I also know I have to get a new camera. The lens assembly is loose on mine and you have to hold it in just the right place with your finger when you snap the shot or it's all blurred. I've allready deleted a heap of what would have been great pics because of this!

Edited by wombatoutofhell