Puppy Scared Of Sudden Loud Noises

Teandell

Need some help with our 11 week old maltese puppy. He is a very outgoing puppy but if there is a sudden loud noise - for example someone drops a plate or a door slams he jumps up and runs and hides, regardless of what he is doing at the time. How do I go about desensitising him so that he doesn't have such a reaction or will he grow out of it.

Not sure how to desensitize as such to loud noices... i have heard of CDs people play during the day to try and get puppy used to noices.

The best bit of advice i got regarding puppies, loud noices and unwanted behavouir is to ignore. If he reacts badly to a loud noice and you rush up and comfort him, he will eventually realise that hey running away and shaking in the corner gets me attention and continue on doing it.

Sorry but that is the only bit of advice i can give you -ignore :laugh: otherwise hopefully he will outgrow it.

I am sure someone will come along with better advice than mine though

Thanks Malleerr,

he is my daughters pup and she was doing just that. The minute he ran hiding she would pick him up and cuddle him. I told her not to do this in future because she was re-enforcing the behaviour. I suggested to her that she should ignore his nervousness and start doing something conpletely different like roll around the floor laughing and playing with our other dog or something. What do others think?

Edited for sp.

Edited by Teandell

Does the pup see what's causing the noise?

Had the same situation with Indy twice now the last two times we've been out for a walk. The first time was on the beach on Tuesday, and up close to the dunes was a hippie playing bongo drums. Drove Indy nuts with the noise - he was skittish, had his hackles up and was barking.

Yesterday we were walking along the foreshore, and the bloke was playing there. As soon as he saw what was creating the noise he settled down. Keg, on the other hand, ignored it totally both times.

I'd say do the noises a number of times in front of him so he realises it's not really a threat. And treat and praise when he doesn't show a reaction. Cuddling when he's scared is only going to reinforce the behaviour. <Caff looking guilty when it comes to fireworks night :laugh: >

No he doesn't see where the noise is coming from but it doesn't matter what the noise is, I think it's just the suddeness of it. Even if one of the other dogs barks suddenly at something he has the same response. I just hope we don't have to many fire work exhibitions or thunder storms. :laugh: I will have a go at making some sudden loud noises in front of him with a support team and see how he goes.