Puppy Teeth

MyMontage

Hi Everyone

I have a 4 month + Old English Sheepdog and he has lost all his baby teeth except for the sharp pointy ones!

I am not overly concerned about this, but his adult 'pointy' teeth are growing through already and the baby ones aren't loose yet.

Question is....shall I help them along by encouraging him to chew on things?

He is a show dog so won't be getting sterilised....therefore there isn't a chance for the vet to take them out whilst he is under any anesthetic.

Please let me know your thoughts on this.

Thanks

Hi Everyone

I have a 4 month + Old English Sheepdog and he has lost all his baby teeth except for the sharp pointy ones!

I am not overly concerned about this, but his adult 'pointy' teeth are growing through already and the baby ones aren't loose yet.

Question is....shall I help them along by encouraging him to chew on things?

He is a show dog so won't be getting sterilised....therefore there isn't a chance for the vet to take them out whilst he is under any anesthetic.

Please let me know your thoughts on this.

Thanks

Correct me if im wrong but I thought that the adult teeth grew threw pushing the baby teeth out? I could be wrong.

Yeah, their not like kids teeth , the new adult ones will slowly push their way through & push out the puppy teeth. Puppy teeth are rarely found & don't usually go through a wobbly stage.

Encourage chewing use a Kong or other good quality teething chew toy. Spend the money on a proper one that the pup can't tear apart & swallow small bits. They go through teething discomfort the way babies do, gums look swollen etc, & they'll look for things to chew on. Don't forget raw bones are good too. I give my pup brisket bones as they are quite soft.

My amstaff puppy has his adult teeth in a few places WITH the little puppy ones next to them... he was chewing something near me on the weekend & all of a sudden there was this tooth sitting in my lap :)

I think it must be ok, cause he has had a double up for a few weeks, but now they are falling out :laugh:

Puppy dont always fall out & sometimes they do need to be removed.

Check the mouth weekly,give the pup things to chew on to help the teeth to come out but if its a showdog be diligent because if the puppy teeth dont come out & you arent aware it can create teeth issues .

We have had a number of dogs where the baby teeth would never fall out & its quite common in our breed to retain baby teeth