Training Pup To Ignore Chooks

Karen V

Hi all,

My Little Bear is now just over 4 months old, a cross bred Wolfy/dane/bullmastiff. I live on a small farm. I have an older bitch (ridgey cross 11yrs old) & take Bear to puppy pre-school. I understand its natural for him to want to chase the chooks but he injured one badly today & she had to be put to sleep (chooky that is). I have tried taking him out on the lead & making him sit & stay & watch. He will behave well when on the lead & for a while later but then lose it & ignore all commands until he gets tired. My old girl at times will reprimand him if he gives chase to the chooks but I think he thinks its a bit of a game. She also won't reprimand him all the time. I also have kept him locked away from the chooks when they are out. He'll also ignore them for a couple of days & then relentlessly chase them at any given opportunity.

In general with his training his attention easily wanders. Its like he needs Puppy Retilin (or however its spelt, ADD drug). I'm hoping patience, perseverence & age will help but I'm also asking for any helpful suggestions. He's well behaved with other dogs at the park and always follows me when its time to go. He's not an overly animated pup - a fairly quiet nature most of the time. He's a good boy mostly but the chook chasing whilst I understand the urge it overrides any of his obedience to me. Please help if you can.

Karen

If he's anything like my Dogue those chooks are in trouble! Mine has enough problems trying to co-exist with a partridge, he'd have a field day with chooks.

Hes still a baby and as such will find all those flapping noisy things reeeeeeally hard to resist! Yes attention will wander. Dont expect too much from him, the attention span is a couple of minutes at the most. Plus being a giant breed he will mature much much later then most other dogs, about 2 1/2 will be adult. He should not be allowed to chase chickens or run about anyway it is bad for his growing bones.

Keep him on lead around the chickens for the moment. If he shows interest in them do an about turn and get his attention, the reward him for leaving the chickens alone and focussing on you. Its a bit much for him to be expected to just ignore them he has to learn patience, and now he has learned it is so satisfying to chase them its going to take more time. The trick is to find something more interesting - food or toy - and only dish that out when he is being good.

BUT do not tether him up or lock him up directly next to the chickens when they are loose. Nothing will build up frustration and want more then him being so close to them without you around to guide him.

Thanks. I make sure (as best as possible) to keep him in eye & ear shot when chooks are out & keep him amused ELSEWHERE. Today though he wandered or chook got too close before I became aware. I've tried keeping him out of the chook routine altogether & that worked for a couple of days. One of the problems I have with training him is that he's not really food focused so treats don't mean much to him & he's so easily distracted he'll forget he's eating something & it fall out of his mouth when he goes to grab the ridgey by the cheek, or he'll wander what the treat is when it drops out of his mouth next to the ball or squeaky toy. I've had big pooches before including a Neo but this fellow is someshat different to any pup I've had before. Hard to stop him running like a lumpy gazelle when he gets going too.