Backchatting

Arcana

We recently brought home our new Border Collie, Baci and unlike other last BC Xing Xing who was gentle and calm but this little one is absolute diva. When we tell her 'no' to biting on clothing or going upstairs she will backchat and continue to try. I really do want to be a good parent, so any advice would be appreciated.

Block access to the stairs with a baby gate or similar, she is too young to be going up and down stairs all the time anyway.

Search this and the training forum for mouthing/biting/chewing, it has been covered heaps and you will find some excellent suggestions.

Search the forum and net for NILIF and other leadership programs and start putting the strategies in place it will help with botht the mouthing and the protest barking, many other potential problems and help to enrich your relationship with your dog.

ETA: Baci is a cute name, doesn't it mean kiss in some other language? Italian maybe?

Edited by haven

Block access to the stairs with a baby gate or similar, she is too young to be going up and down stairs all the time anyway.

Search this and the training forum for mouthing/biting/chewing, it has been covered heaps and you will find some excellent suggestions.

Search the forum and net for NILIF and other leadership programs and start putting the strategies in place it will help with botht the mouthing and the protest barking, many other potential problems and help to enrich your relationship with your dog.

ETA: Baci is a cute name, doesn't it mean kiss in some other language? Italian maybe?

You are spot on. Baci does mean kiss in Italian. We are hoping that she is nothing but gorgeous and good natured. Though being well behaved would be splendid ... but she is off to puppy preschool tomorrow.

I've used the 'turn your back' technique on puppies when they do this - if they backchat, simply turn around on the spot, fold your arms and say absolutely nothing........it's a dominant behaviour which pups seem to understand very quickly (my old Dobe bitch taught me that one - she used to do it to pups that backchatted her, and grandmother before her used the same technique too) - Baci may get a bit creative in trying to get your attention, but you say nothing and just turn away again - you'll probably find that you are given a toy and an invitiation to play after that.... :laugh: may take a few goes, but works a treat.

I've used the 'turn your back' technique on puppies when they do this - if they backchat, simply turn around on the spot, fold your arms and say absolutely nothing........it's a dominant behaviour which pups seem to understand very quickly (my old Dobe bitch taught me that one - she used to do it to pups that backchatted her, and grandmother before her used the same technique too) - Baci may get a bit creative in trying to get your attention, but you say nothing and just turn away again - you'll probably find that you are given a toy and an invitiation to play after that.... :) may take a few goes, but works a treat.

This one definately sounds promising as I have tried my best to tell her no. I've growled, no-ed and she will still give it a shot which is unlike any other puppy we had had through the house.

P.S. Dobermanns are such gorgeous dogs.

If she is barking it's probably due to frustration - she doesn't understand what you mean.

See what they recommend at puppy school, if you want some other techniques feel free to PM me.

Mel.

Thanks for the kind offer Mel. I'll see what happens at preschool later tonight.

I cant help - Kaos talks back to me all the time - i say no and she tells me where to go, but she has never tired to keep doing what ever it was she was doing!!

Good luck :rolleyes:

I think I will need the luck. I'm absolutely terrified that I will raise her badly as our last Border Collie was a breeze to train. I suppose it doesn't help that my Mother is critical of how I raise her.