Puppy Growth

morphjk

I was wondering how much of the % growth a puppy has done by the time they are around 6 months old? I have a Labrador puppy that is just over 6 months old and when I took her into be desexed one of the vets said that she was nearly fully grown but she is only just over 17inches and both of her parents were big and she does come from a quality breeder.

Plus she would be one of the smallest Labradors around if that was true.

So I am wondering around what % she would be now.

I also have a large breed and they generally reach maximum height at around 9/10 months of age, they certainly do a lot more growing after 6 months.

I had a bit on arguement with the vet as I thought she was quite wrong. It wasn't my normal vet so I wasn't real impressed with her. But I had taken my pup their because the guy who did the desexing was meant to be excellent which appears to be correct as the result was excellent.

Isn't it amazing how quickly they grow? Ive had my new samoyed for only a week and he's already growing. I hear they grow when they sleep. That probably explains all that twitching and jerking he does when he's lying on the ground...sometimes at night I swear I can hear his bones stretching in his crate ;)

Isn't it amazing how quickly they grow? Ive had my new samoyed for only a week and he's already growing. I hear they grow when they sleep. That probably explains all that twitching and jerking he does when he's lying on the ground...sometimes at night I swear I can hear his bones stretching in his crate :laugh:

She sometimes we forget how much they have grown. People come and see her and they can't believe how much she has grown.

Ben was pretty big by 6 months, but definitely grew more between 6-12 months. By 12 months he had basically stopped growing 'up' and started growing 'out'. The vet's words were "Ben has a bit of a spare tyre!" Poor little fella went on a bit of a diet after that.

I'd say she has a fair bit more growing left to do at only 6 months. She is still a baby :laugh:

Ben was pretty big by 6 months, but definitely grew more between 6-12 months. By 12 months he had basically stopped growing 'up' and started growing 'out'. The vet's words were "Ben has a bit of a spare tyre!" Poor little fella went on a bit of a diet after that.

I'd say she has a fair bit more growing left to do at only 6 months. She is still a baby :rolleyes:

Kaasha is a nice healthy size. I keep an eye on what she eats. But she isn't a real vacuum cleaner Labrador in the fact that some times she just looks at her food and says no thanks I'm not hungry.

But she isn't a real vacuum cleaner Labrador in the fact that some times she just looks at her food and says no thanks I'm not hungry.

Sure shes a REAL labby then? :rolleyes:

My previous labby may as well have been named Hoover. He spent our dinner times scouring the floor in the hope we dropped something.

There is no real fixed growth rate. Different dogs will have growth spurts at different stages. Mine went through a kinda awkward stage at 4 months. His body was waaay too big for his head! :rolleyes:

It has since caught up, and he is a typical rotty fathead. At 11 months, I think he will only fill out now.

Maybe yours is a late developer?

But she isn't a real vacuum cleaner Labrador in the fact that some times she just looks at her food and says no thanks I'm not hungry.

Sure shes a REAL labby then? :rolleyes:

My previous labby may as well have been named Hoover. He spent our dinner times scouring the floor in the hope we dropped something.

There is no real fixed growth rate. Different dogs will have growth spurts at different stages. Mine went through a kinda awkward stage at 4 months. His body was waaay too big for his head! :rofl:

It has since caught up, and he is a typical rotty fathead. At 11 months, I think he will only fill out now.

Maybe yours is a late developer?

She really is a nice size and yes she really is a purebred Labrador. Certain things she goes stupid for if I'm eating them. Can't eat a tub of yogut with out drawl. :rolleyes: