Any Suggestions For An Escaping Whippet

SueM

One of our rescue dogs Ciara has found a fabulous home with a lovely couple and their whippet, major problem she is sailing over a 6 ft fence,has anyone got any suggestions of how they can keep this girl in, she only escapes when the owners leave to go to work so definitely has some seperation issues,

also doesnt like storms and we had a tiny one today and think that is why she took off yesterday,they caught her sailing the gate this morning, this was the reason she came to our rescue group in the first place :thumbsup: Their fence is at the council limit so they can not make it much higher :thumbsup:

Edited by varicool

Shades of Darcie (my Kelpie x Whippet). IMO either pen her while they are out or get an electronic containment system, one that is used in conjunction with the existing fence.

How long has she been there? Darcie only escaped in the early stages, and now that she feels comfortable here, she doesn't dig or jump to get out (yes, Darcie can go under as well as over). Darcie going over when they went out was the reason that she came back to me from some people that otherwise she would have lived with.

If she's not been there long, once Ciara has settled in, the escaping is likely to subside. Otherwise, a roofed pen might be the go - Ciara will likely end up sleeping most of the time that they are out, and they don't have to worry about her.

Edited by sidoney

Sidoney she has only been their a week, but she was doing this at her previous owners home and they were resorting to tying her up as she was having regular visits at the RSPCA, I suggested the containment system I am not sure if it would work on a whippet they are sensitive creatures :thumbsup: I also suggested the dog run which would be a lot safer for her, she is a beautiful girl she didnt try to escape at my place with the same height fencing :thumbsup:

She was tied up 24/7 at her previous home, at this home she gets 2 walks a day and is inside when they are home I thought it would of changed her behaviour :thumbsup:

Edited by varicool

IMO the run is a good answer for her. I used to pen my dogs when I went out, not because they WOULD get out, but just as it was safer. Now I have MUCH better fencing and more dogs, I don't do it any more, but my "garden" is suffering. Oh well. I would pen them again if I had more pens since I do think it's safer and they sleep most of the time.

They may want to look at hiring a pen for a month or so. In that time she may well have settled enough to not want to get out. And the people will know whether a pen is a suitable answer for her.

Re electronic containment systems, I've not used one, but I believe the modern ones have automatically variable levels, and start at low level, so it's not like it's got no option but to hurt the dog.

Edited by sidoney

lol and that was just after I dropped her off,I would be quite happy for her to come back to my place she is such a nice dog,but then I would be called a double foster failure :thumbsup: They love her and will do what they can to keep her and keep her safe :thumbsup:

I have 5 whippets & recently one started jumping my fence after some kangaroos came to visit. Yes you are right, they are sensitive but I took drastic measures & put a temporary electric fence around. It was upsetting to see them get hit & hear them screaming in terror, but they only did it once. Problem has been solved & I have taken the electric fence down. I suppose I might need it if the roos come back but for now they've get the message.

I suppose the other option is to crate for a while but I am not a fan of crating for hours on end, although I can see where it might be necessary, hopefully only as a very short term situation.

Good luck hope they get it sorted.

Linda

Hey everyone - Ciara's owners here. Thanks for the ideas and advice. I see our options as:

1. Containment ie pen and/or higher fencing. I am concerned that Ciara will scale a higher fence. This morning she cleared the gate again (3rd time) while we were inside, so she is clearing it with ease without a run up and also not in response to separation issues or fear.

2. Training methods - shock collar/electric fence, rewards & discipline

She is a lovely dog, very affectionate and great nature, loves our other Whippet puppy so we want to resolve the issue.

We will add some height to the area of the fence where she can get straight out, but not to where she can end up in a neighbour's yard. This is not a complete solution because with the ease she is clearing the fence, ours & then a neighbour's fence is not a problem for her to get over.

So we will also get an electric fence from the parent's farm today to use a second deterrent until we can find out about shock collars. We will also try to desensitise any separation anxiety and fear of loud noises (hopefully we get a storm today while we're home). :cool:

Well, we had a chat to one of the invisible fence companies and have bought a system.... Fingers crossed! :cool: Seems like it could be the best solution to keep the little houdini in the yard & we'll get 30 days to test that theory.