Clicker Training

arby

Iv'e just scored my self two clicker stalkers :thumbsup:

Check out my thread whats a click? as there are a few clicker links listed in there.

Clickers are used as markers.

They are part of a whole philosophy of dog training based on behavioural science.

Take a look at the Yahoo list - Clickersolutions. - before you laugh it off compoletely!!!

Iv'e just scored my self two clicker stalkers :thumbsup:

Check out my thread whats a click? as there are a few clicker links listed in there.

Clickers are used as markers.

They are part of a whole philosophy of dog training based on behavioural science.

Take a look at the Yahoo list - Clickersolutions. - before you laugh it off compoletely!!!

I was laughing at shoemonseter and i stalk shoemonster, there going to help me with my clicker training.

Arby there are a few places that incorporate clicker training into other kinds of training, what are you looking at doing with it?

just want to find out bit more about it. Humphrey has had some basic training doing a bit more obedience with him now, soon we'll be starting some agility to actually get him burning of that crazy boxer energy

i just typed out this humongous post about it and the computer dropped out :thumbsup:

So peeved

oh well

Clickers are fantastic, the dogs learn so quickly

You need to practise your timing first though, I am crap with names but someone told me its like taking a picture, you need to click right at the perfect moment, ie in a sit you would click the second the bum hits the ground

You also need to charge the clicker before you start (only the first time, never again, they remmeber!) so the dog knows what it is

To do this you CT (click treat) for no reason, over and over until the dog realises that click means treat

To test this you can click when the dog isn't looking, and they should spin around expecting a treat! Always give a treat when you click even if you click wrong, or it will lose its value

Hope this helps for a start, there is other good stuff in H20's thread in training too

Argh! Shoemonster there must be something against 'clicker trainers' today. I just lost my post too!!!!

Ok - so what I was going to say was - well said SM. I am also a clicker trainer and I love it. Once you get the timing right I find it a great communication tool between you and the dog. I also love the game of 'shaping' as you can really see the clogs turning in your dogs head! It is also a great tool for tricks as it seems to get the message across a lot faster!

Can someone plz post a link to H20's thread as I did a search and couldn't find it!

lol I started doing free shaping with Ed yesterday after Stella was tellign me about it, so funny watching him tryng to figure out what I wanted him to do

I gave him a ball and a bucket and after a few minutes he was picking up the ball, and also seperately putting his head in the bucket reliably

Free shaping for those who don't know, is clicking good behaviour as the dog does it, so say I put a bucket out for Ed, I don't ask him to do anything

If he looks at the bucket I CT, if he sniffs the bucket I CT, he puts his head in the bucket I CT, he then realises that every time he puts his head in the bucket he gets a CT so has figured it out!