Digging Holes

bridged

My rotti pup has been digging for a while now, shes about 19 weeks old now and the problem is that the holes are getting to be a bit large. She doesnt burry stuff in em just digs for fun i think.

Is it somthing that she'll grow out off i should i do something to stop it?

You should see what I had to come home to today!

Charlie had almost dug to CHINA the hole was so deep.....to make matters worse it was in our 'lovely' pebble garden.

Can't sprinkle poop and grass clippings on that (it is right at our back door)....

Anyone else have any suggestions for us and our delinquents!!

sometimes it is something that puppies grow out of, but other times dogs just dig simply because they can dig!! I have a digger here, luckily its not too much anymore (before it was worse).

They are a few things you can try to stop your puppy from digging. One is putting there poop into it and covering it up. A lot of dogs don't like there own poop and it can be a detterent. I found my boy can't stand its own so thats how i work through his digging fettish. Another is putting something like tabasco sauce or curry powder in the hole. This works with some dogs but i found that mine loved the taste :thumbsup:

Make sure though that if you are going to say a stern "NO" you must catch the puppy in the act, otherwise it won't know why you are telling it off.

Of course some people just have to live with their dogs digging!! :provoke: Dogs make fun gardeners at times and are always willing to help in the art of pot holes in your garden :laugh:

Try making a sand pit for your dog to dig in - this sort of worked for my dog Minna. She just loves to dig, and doesn't bury anything!!! Each time I put her poop in the holes she digs, she goes off and digs somewhere else, and she also likes chillie and pepper powder!!!! But I got her one of those plastic shell pools and have half with water and half with sand, and I put treats in the sand pit to encourage her to dig there instead of the garden. Like I said, it sort of works for her, but I know it's worked really well for other dogs. :thumbsup:

you could try the "keep off" citronella stuff... spike and sammy were digging massive holes in the garden and on the grass so dad put down this keep off powder stuff and apparently the cats and dogs dont like the smell so they dont go near it... hence the digging stopped..

you could try the "keep off" citronella stuff... spike and sammy were digging massive holes in the garden and on the grass so dad put down this keep off powder stuff and apparently the cats and dogs dont like the smell so they dont go near it... hence the digging stopped..

Agreed one of Sam's friends was a massive digger and they brought some i think it was called 'no dig' or something along those lines, and they just sprayed it on the areas and there was never ever any digging again. pretty good for less than 12 if you ask me.

With my older girl I put small water balloons slightly buried and when she had a few gush water at her she soon learnt to stop.I then made her an area where I taught her to dig by placing treats in there.No more holes now but just in her play area.I was also told to use those mothball cages but Im not sure if thats the way to go if your dog is a chewer.The smell is supposed to deter any animal away apparently. :scared:

just thought i would add - that ive been using the poo in the hole method after reading this a couple of weeks ago and it has worked a treat she tried a few other areas but we filled them up with poo too!

no more digging ;)

has taken to chewing the window frame instead!! :)!!!

shes teething so im now proving new bones everyday!! the joys of puppyhood :)

How about using Sound Aversion?

Get yourself a Fog Horn, you can get them at Rebel Sports etc.

Pretend you're going out and pop pooch in the backyard.....position yourself by a window with it slightly open and have the fog horn positioned.....when the dog starts to do something it shouldn't let off the fog horn....usually just doing this once is enough.....but keep watching, the smart ones tend to go back and try again.

Edited by sas