Types Of Sheep-working Dogs

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have thrown the bodgy work camera in my bag to take home tonight.

I will do my best lol.

And to anyone going just look for a tall skinny guy and a smaller and much better looking lady with a red merle Koolie pup and a BC pup.

I probably won't enter anything unless my arm gets twisted. I just want to get a feel for the events. I have never competed with a dog in anything before, i just love the fun side of it.

Adam

I have thrown the bodgy work camera in my bag to take home tonight.

I will do my best lol.

And to anyone going just look for a tall skinny guy and a smaller and much better looking lady with a red merle Koolie pup and a BC pup.

I probably won't enter anything unless my arm gets twisted. I just want to get a feel for the events. I have never competed with a dog in anything before, i just love the fun side of it.

Adam

i think some arm twisting should be done re the puppy comps! no one expects puppies to hehave!

have a great time anyway, it looks awesome!

hahahahaha,

I spoke to Paul and he told me I can enter on the day if I see something I want to try.

I will probably get my arm twisted by someone there. The sausage eating comp looks promising lol, no-one can out eat my Chance hahahahaha

I have to post pics of my pps and hopefully after tomorrow I will have some photos with sheep. Great topic with great photos.

This is Axel, he is around 4 and half months old in this photo and he is a Coolie.

post-3783-1164328199_thumb.jpg

Jesomil,

Where do you normally go for sheep herding? I am now in Hampton Park on the East side? I would love to find somewhere I could run around in the evenings or weekends.

I still want to try to get out to the airport as well because we enjoy it out there.

Cheers

Does anyone find that doing Agility or Flyball etc interferes in any way with Herding?

I mean does it get confusing for the dog (or the owner for that matter)?

I have an 18 month old Kelpie, Kobe, and I do both herding (for 12 months now) and flyball. I don't find that they conflict at all, in fact I found herding to be a major help in her Flyball! I noticed that I had typical lack of focus problems at Flyball and some difficulty in gaining a reliable recall when she was just starting out at both. I managed to get to herding every second weekend for about 2 and a half months earlier this year (instead of once a month) and I found that at the same time her flyball improved exponentially. Her focus on me was much improved and her recall now is perfect.

She certainly knows when we are herding and when we are doing Flyball and behaves accordingly. She is much calmer (but driven) at herding and much more amped up and barking at flyball. The focus is much better at both now, however. All her problems at both herding and flyball are completely due to me.

Jo

I have to post pics of my pps and hopefully after tomorrow I will have some photos with sheep. Great topic with great photos.

This is Axel, he is around 4 and half months old in this photo and he is a Coolie.

what a gorgeous creature! where did you get them PAX if its not a rude question?

Thankyou thankyou, I am now converted.

Both of the pups come from a Koolie breeder near Inverell. Both of their parents are working dogs so hopefully they will know what to do and I can just watch. :)

I can't spell.

Edited by PAX

Thankyou thankyou, I am now converted.

Both of the pups come from a Koolie breeder near Inverell. Both of their parents are working dogs so hopefully they will know what to do and I can just watch. :laugh:

I can't spell.

they should be pretty tough dogs from up there, pretty rough country. they will know what to do all right, they're gonna run you ragged :laugh: look forward to pix and report, have a great time :)

Perry came from a farm up there and she has strong instinct even if the farmer wanted to shoot her for not working. I have had national champions tell me that if they had had her since she was a pup she could have been a champion dog because she likes to work. She is the first Koolie I had met and I think they are just great - I love having an intelligent dog.