Where Is The Connection?

Pawprints

We had a bad day with out 10 week old yesterday, peed inside 5 times!! ;)

Each time after we had taken him out and he had emptied his tank, he found a little more for inside!! We watch him like a hawk but yesterday were not fast enough!

How do pups get the connection between toileting inside and outside when we take them outside before they have thought about going to the toilet and we carry them outside when we have busted them midstream!!

I know they can see that we are pleased with them when they go outside but how do they think forward enough inside to want to go outside to the toilet??

:thumbsup:

I'm not sure if I am helping here, but is he going in the same places inside? They tend to like to go to the same places and ensure their pee smell is on top of the other pee smell that was there before ( :thumbsup: ). If you don't properly disinfect the inside pee smell - like really disinfect it! - your pup might be trying to instinctly go where he smells the old pee...Even though you praise him for going outside...

Generally my guys know that if the surface is a hard one (we have floor boards inside) then they're not supposd to go there...They tend not to go on the concrete outside too. They know that dirt/grass/bark is where they usually pee. They usually go to the same spots outside every time as well (to cover the previous pee with the new pee lol!)... As I said, not sure if this helps?

Pawprints a Dog basically lives in the moment.Forward thinking is a Human ability not a Canine attribute.Your Pup is only 10 Weeks old and Behaviour is not at this stage set fast.

A Pup or Dog does not see any type of Behaviour as good or bad.So it is up to us to shape his Behaviour the way we want it.

I would persist with what you are doing but be a little more Patient.As your aware to stop or disrupt any Dog behaviour, we need to actually catch them in the Act not before or after.Catching the Pup in the Act I would make a noise such as Clapping and a loud and firm NO!!!I would then take him straight outside.As you are doing when he relieves himself Praise greatly and or give a Food Treat.This Time though after the Praise leave him outside whilst watching him.Leave Him giving him the Opportunity to relieve himself a Second time before going back inside.When he relieves himself a second time praise and reward him as per usual.You must be persistent and consistent. Tonymc

Pawprints a Dog basically lives in the moment.Forward thinking is a Human ability not a Canine attribute.Your Pup is only 10 Weeks old and Behaviour is not at this stage set fast.

A Pup or Dog does not see any type of Behaviour as good or bad.So it is up to us to shape his Behaviour the way we want it.

I would persist with what you are doing but be a little more Patient.As your aware to stop or disrupt any Dog behaviour, we need to actually catch them in the Act not before or after.Catching the Pup in the Act I would make a noise such as Clapping and a loud and firm NO!!!I would then take him straight outside.As you are doing when he relieves himself Praise greatly and or give a Food Treat.This Time though after the Praise leave him outside whilst watching him.Leave Him giving him the Opportunity to relieve himself a Second time before going back inside.When he relieves himself a second time praise and reward him as per usual.You must be persistent and consistent. Tonymc

Thanks tonymc and Nacster (no he's doing it in all different places)

I know forward thinking is not a dog attribute, but I didn't know how to put it into words what I meant lol ;)

I just thought if he keeps getting taken outside invouluntarily, how is he to know thats what we want him to do.

I am being very patient with him and I'm in no way annoyed at him etc as he is not doing it on purpose, the little babe, I just want to make sure that I am doing it right.

The times that he did it in the house yesterday, I caught him 4 out of the 5 times and yelled "NO!" and grabbed him growling and put him outside where he finished and I praised him and played with him.

Then I wait to see if his little never-ending 'tank' had any more left!!

The funny thing is, he holds all night while in his crate! but when you take him out for a pee in the day and he does two or three, then he comes back inside and 15 minutes later, hey presto a pee!! :thumbsup:

Grrrrr as i read this my 9 w/o rotty pup diesel just wee'd in front of me... Little bugger :(

I'm not sure if there is a difference between toilet training girls and boys but i have found that there is a real big difference... My girl only ever pooed inside once and that was it... Diesel has now started to do all poo's outside he goes out there all on his own without me needing to take him... (what a good boy) the back door is always open for them to come in and out whenever they want....

But when it comes to wee he does it everywhere... It doesn't seem to matter how much i take him out he still manages to do at least 1 wee inside every day.... Does this come from males marking their territory? I understand that he is a puppy and doesn't have that territorial side yet but is it just human nature (or animal instinct) for a boy to want to wee everywhere? Its not always in the same spot either just wherever he is standing at the time and he doesn't sniff around he just lets it all out wherever, whenever.... :)

Why will he go do a poo outside all on his own, (he knows what to do and where to go...) But the same doesn't seem to apply for a wee????? :rofl:

I have had lots of puppies and never had a problem TT until now.

I have two pups, similar breeding and same breed they are 5 and half months. One has been tt since almost the day he arrived and the girl is terrible. She is getting better lately but I'm sure it is more good timing on my part then her actually knowing were to go. I realy believe that some just get it quickly and some don't. :) I think she has a minature bladder because she does the smallest wees. I have even had her urine checked twice for infections.

It's like that saying, 'It wont happen overnight, but it will happen'. Thankgod my house is all tiled.

Not sure why you're expecting such a young puppy to have bladder control, it's just like a new human baby.

Keep up with the toilet training, when the bladder is strong enough, things will fall into place.

Never take your eye off the puppy whilst inside and you won't have any accidents.

We were told that young pups don't really understand that there bladder is full and what to do with it, they just go. I guess over time they understand. With our pup if she pees inside and we see it, we clap our hands to distract her and put her outside. When she goes outside we praise her and at times treat her. When she wees outside now she stares at me waiting for the response, but i don't like doing it too early cause she stops what she is doing and runs over.

Be careful what you clean your floors with, cause alot of products contain ammonium, which is also found in pee, they can still be attracted to the smell and continue to go there - or so i have been informed.

Over time your pup will get better, each month goes by they can hold a little longer. My pup has not had any accidents this week (touch wood) but earlier it was constant.

Not sure why you're expecting such a young puppy to have bladder control, it's just like a new human baby.

Keep up with the toilet training, when the bladder is strong enough, things will fall into place.

Never take your eye off the puppy whilst inside and you won't have any accidents.

With due respect, I'm not expecting anything of him. I was simply asking the question about how a connection is made by them in regards to being taken outside for a wee and them finally doing it on their own.

I take him outside for a wee every 20 minutes or after meal/water, play, sleep etc.

He is a wierd one because he has never pooed in the house, like bluepoppy, he knows to go outside for a poo.

And get this, he holds for 8 hours overnight in his crate!! Yep not a single drop and when he goes outside with me at 6am, he does the biggest wee you've ever seen!!

I know he will eventually get it but I wonder how they get it when they are taken outside involuntarily or carried out. It must be like, oh well I'm out here now might as well wee. But if I don't get taken outside, what the heck I'll wee here! :thumbsup:

I do watch him like a hawk but it's very hard. The other day we were playing like normal in the lounge, throwing the frisbee thing and him retrieving it. Nothing unusual, he ran to get the frisbee, then stopped and peed!! I have just bought him in not 15 minutes ago from having 3 wees outside!! aarrgghh lol ;)

With due respect, I'm not expecting anything of him. I was simply asking the question about how a connection is made by them in regards to being taken outside for a wee and them finally doing it on their own.

I take him outside for a wee every 20 minutes or after meal/water, play, sleep etc.

He is a wierd one because he has never pooed in the house, like bluepoppy, he knows to go outside for a poo.

And get this, he holds for 8 hours overnight in his crate!! Yep not a single drop and when he goes outside with me at 6am, he does the biggest wee you've ever seen!!

I know he will eventually get it but I wonder how they get it when they are taken outside involuntarily or carried out. It must be like, oh well I'm out here now might as well wee. But if I don't get taken outside, what the heck I'll wee here! :thumbsup:

I do watch him like a hawk but it's very hard. The other day we were playing like normal in the lounge, throwing the frisbee thing and him retrieving it. Nothing unusual, he ran to get the frisbee, then stopped and peed!! I have just bought him in not 15 minutes ago from having 3 wees outside!! aarrgghh lol ;)

Yeah my pup did a pee standing right next to my boyfriend cause he was on the phone... it happens. I guess over time they realise they don't get anything for peeing inside but they get praise for doing it outside so that must be the place to do it. But some dogs can take up to 12 months before there are no accidents.

Your doing ok Pawprints - i am sure your pup will get there...

I guess everyone with pups seems to be having the same problems :thumbsup:

this morning Simba did his business inside (no 2) - which obviously wasn't fun to clean :rofl:. Throughout the night he had been waking me up as he wanted to wee or sometimes play!! So when he woke me up again this morning i kind of ignored him thinking he just wants to play but obviously not as he just went & did his business inside ;)

We were told that young pups don't really understand that there bladder is full and what to do with it, they just go. I guess over time they understand. With our pup if she pees inside and we see it, we clap our hands to distract her and put her outside. When she goes outside we praise her and at times treat her. When she wees outside now she stares at me waiting for the response, but i don't like doing it too early cause she stops what she is doing and runs over.

Be careful what you clean your floors with, cause alot of products contain ammonium, which is also found in pee, they can still be attracted to the smell and continue to go there - or so i have been informed.

Over time your pup will get better, each month goes by they can hold a little longer. My pup has not had any accidents this week (touch wood) but earlier it was constant.

Gosh pups are cute... Diesel does the same thing when he is outside... Looks up at you waiting for you to give praise... We can't say anything until he has finished also else he stops and runs over to get his love :thumbsup:

Only one accident inside today and it was on the lino so that was good.... I'm sure that they will all get the message in there own time and then I guess we will have something new to deal with that they have discovered.... ;)

Be consistent, use a training word (like toilet or wee wees) take puppy to the same spot everytime and reward the approved behaviour. Pups will always think being inside is better than out as you are there so will try and get the job done asap often not finishing off the job. Be patient with them, repeat the training word over and over when they are doing the job and reward with praise when finished. You may have to stop playing during your games to take puppy outside to finish off his job. Puppy should give you some indications that he wants to do another wee. Very slight hop of the back legs, a sniff of the ground, or a silly look. You will need to be very observant and take them him out before the accident happens. Good luck!! :laugh:

I have found it almost impossible to successfully toilet train a pup before it is 12 weeks old.

You can only keep doing what you are doing and it will click eventually.

I think the movement causes them to urinate more frequently during the day but it is encouraging that he stays clean overnight! :laugh:

I know it is frustrating and some days they will have more accidents than others but it is just a matter of repetition and trying for them not to pee inside so that it doesn't become a habit and therefore 'OK' in their eyes.

I have dogs that won't pee if they are on concrete, they will only pee on grass as that is what they are used to doing. I often wonder how they get on when they occasionally have to go into a boarding kennel if we go away. :laugh:

Edited by SALTWOOD

I have not had much experience, however, i have sucessfully trained all of mine from 8 weeks. That is the ones that live with me & the litter I had were trained before leaving at 8 weeks. The odd accident has happened when I haven't been vigilant. The dogs that live with me I simply took to bed from 8 weeks, as soon as they stirred I very quickly carried them outside onto the grass & told them to go "tooty". I realise this may not work for everyone, but I found it worked very well. I knew if I didn't get up straight away I would end up sleeping in puppy piddle. :rofl: I think because it was at night I was consistant, whereas during the day you get distracted by all the usual day to day chores etc. It doesn't take long - maybe a few weeks. I didn't feel like doing it with the babies I kept from my 1st litter,I was exhausted from running around after my three year old daughter all day. I did it anyway & it worked great. The other thing you could try would be a puppy pen with a very thick layer of newspaper. When puppy has done business take the paper outside, & then everytime you take it out for toilet break take to the newspaper.

I think leaving puppies running loose in the house at that age is a bit of a risk for toilet accidents. :rofl:

Goodluck & heres to less puddles. :rofl: