Desexing.....

LilyW

Hey All, my pup is getting desexed next week... Merry Christmas Lily.

I start my holidays the day she is getting done. What should i watch out for afterwards and how long does recovery tend to be.

The last time i had an animal done, was my cat in 1989 and i was 8, so not sure i remember too much - she did attempt to rip her stiches out, which i guess is something to watch out for?

Hi LW, I've cared for a number of newly-desexed female dogs and the main things to do and look out for are:

1. Keep her warm, as the dog loses a lot of heat through the GA and surgery.

2. Give her extra-soft bedding.

3. A crate is ideal for the first 24 hours post-op, so she can properly rest.

4. A light dinner post-op is fine, but many aren't hungry...and some get very upset tummies.

5. Leave ample water or ice cubes for the dog post-op.

6. Check the wound periodically to ensure there is no major inflammation or infection developing and for excessive swelling.

7. Light exercise only for up to 7 days post-op, to help the wound settle and heal.

If you're concerned at any time, call the desexing vet for advice. :rofl:

Hi LW, I've cared for a number of newly-desexed female dogs and the main things to do and look out for are:

1. Keep her warm, as the dog loses a lot of heat through the GA and surgery.

2. Give her extra-soft bedding.

3. A crate is ideal for the first 24 hours post-op, so she can properly rest.

4. A light dinner post-op is fine, but many aren't hungry...and some get very upset tummies.

5. Leave ample water or ice cubes for the dog post-op.

6. Check the wound periodically to ensure there is no major inflammation or infection developing and for excessive swelling.

7. Light exercise only for up to 7 days post-op, to help the wound settle and heal.

If you're concerned at any time, call the desexing vet for advice. :rofl:

Thanks Lilysmum - great advice.

When it has finished growing, so it depends on what breed or size. Small breeds are safe around 6 mths, larger breeds between 8 mths and 15 mths, depending on when their first season is expected (when did it's mother first come into season?)

They really need their hormones to achieve proper mental and physical development.

That's great advice Lillysmum. I just have a quick question, what's a good age to desex a female pup?

I guess the answer depends on several things, including the breed of dog in question, the owner's motivation in managing that animal if/when she is in season, how the animal was obtained (relevant to rescue b/c all reputable rescues desex before rehoming or have adopter complete a desexing guarantee), how the animal is to be housed, whether the animal is living with or in close proximity to entire males, whether there is a possibility of the animal being used by a registered breeder for breeding purposes.

Generally speaking, if the animal is not to be used for breeding, desexing can occur safely at any time after 8-16 wks of age depending on breed/size (when I say 'safely' I mean in terms of the procedure itself).

But your vet and/or breeder are the best people to give advice specific to your own dog.

***My personal view is that all animals NOT kept by registered breeders or show exhibitors is that the animals should be desexed at the earliest opportunity. There are many reasons for this, but it comes down to the sad reality that there are far more unwanted dogs and pups in our society than there are responsible homes available to take and adequately care for them. Having desexing as something not mandatory under current regulations, sees many (unqualified) people and some unscrupulous people allowing dogs to breed solely to make a profit by selling the pups at inflated prices (either to the public or to pet shops). Perusing sites such as Petlink only confirms the nature and scale of unscrupulous people breeding with dogs and on-selling pups to anyone with the right amount of money. :rofl:

But your vet and/or breeder are the best people to give advice specific to your own dog.

Not necessarily - I have heard of vets being totally ignorant of the needs of specific breeds and giving advice that is absolutely wrong. You must remember that many vets simply don't have a clue about the differences between breeds - they are simply not trained for this. Sighthound sensitivity to anaesthetic and some breed specific congenital problems are about all they have been taught.

You only have to look at the vaccination issues to see how many vets just don't have a clue - I know of many vets that swear blind that heartworm injections have absolutely no side effects, and that C5s absolutely never cause kennel cough :D :laugh:

Unfortunately some breeders are equally clueless :laugh: Listen to your vet and breeder, then do some research and make up your own mind - there are plenty of threads here on the problems caused by early desexing to start with.

Not necessarily - I have heard of vets being totally ignorant of the needs of specific breeds and giving advice that is absolutely wrong. You must remember that many vets simply don't have a clue about the differences between breeds - they are simply not trained for this. Sighthound sensitivity to anaesthetic and some breed specific congenital problems are about all they have been taught.

You only have to look at the vaccination issues to see how many vets just don't have a clue - I know of many vets that swear blind that heartworm injections have absolutely no side effects, and that C5s absolutely never cause kennel cough :D :laugh:

Unfortunately some breeders are equally clueless :laugh: Listen to your vet and breeder, then do some research and make up your own mind - there are plenty of threads here on the problems caused by early desexing to start with.

In that case, perhaps point those vets in the direction of the ample research/evidence that has come out of the USA studies...or find a more competent vet!

I shop around for a reputable vet each time we move, and I can tell you that it's easy to sort the wheat from the chaff in many cases, just by giving the vet a call and asking the receptionist/nurse a few simple questions. If that goes well, take a dog in to get weighed. And if that goes well, make a wellness appointment for your dog/s.

I reckon that we have to be well-informed, and there's nothing wrong with ASKING QUESTIONS of your vet and/or breeder...and keep asking questions until you're satisfied OR find another vet that you are completely comfortable and happy with. You're handing over the care and control of your dog/s and this requires some work on the part of the consumer to ensure the service meets your needs. :o

Glad you asked LilyW and also glad you answered Lillysmum!

Rogue went in today - im a bag of nerves

we moved so its a new vet - she my OHs dog really so he organised it - i just worry/panic when i dont know EVERYTHING i havent even met the vet yet :D

i hate putting them under even for 'routine' stuff :laugh:

he was asked to ring a 1430hrs so ill be ringing him not long after that for an update!!

god im going to make a terribly overprotective mum!!

Glad you asked LilyW and also glad you answered Lillysmum!

Rogue went in today - im a bag of nerves

we moved so its a new vet - she my OHs dog really so he organised it - i just worry/panic when i dont know EVERYTHING i havent even met the vet yet :D

i hate putting them under even for 'routine' stuff :laugh:

he was asked to ring a 1430hrs so ill be ringing him not long after that for an update!!

god im going to make a terribly overprotective mum!!

Hey Akitaowner

Hope it went well for you !!!

Cheers

M2

It was along day OH rang at about 4 and said he had locked his keys in the car :p so i had to make a mad dash home to collect him from the shops and rogue from the vets before they shut!

yep she was fine - quite awake when we picked her up about 6 a bit sore and quiet (not her usual bouncy self)

she threw up a little when we got home but ate a small dinner later and was fine and she was good through the night.

weve got dissolvable stitches ;) she should be all fixed in 14 days :rolleyes:

she looked like a little space cadet laying out on the deck while we were making dinner :thumbsup: shes on her own today (with Mav) she didnt seem to fussed by the wound - theres actually nothing to see not even stitches! so i dont think she will be licking or anything

good luck for next week lilyW :)

That's great advice Lillysmum. I just have a quick question, what's a good age to desex a female pup?

You can desex from about 8 weeks upwards ask your vet what they think, better off before the 1 st season because then getting cancer is next to nil in the nether regions. They also do not appear to get fat that is my experience anyway. Also I have a male who was desexed at 12 weeks and there is nothing wrong with him either and they get over it a lot quicker than older dogs. I just had Kim done at nearly 6years and she took ages to get back to being herself whereas the pup done at 12 weeks was back to normal the next morning.

Talk to your vet and they would be the best ones to inform you of all possible outcomes.

Rogues fine was running round like nothing happened last night (despite us forgetting to give her her painkiller in the morning!

i think the vet did a great job (it was quite expensive) you can hardly tell shes had anything done (except the shaving!) no external stitches and she looks and i presume feels fine now, no soreness or redness or lumpy scar she looks like it was done a week ago!

:D!

I just posted this in the Heath forum, but he it is again:

Pup was de sexed and came home wearing an Elizabethan collar. First night fine, second night he’d managed to manoeuvre the collar in such a way as to gouge out the wound and expose the internal stitching, as well as also irritating his hind leg enough to remove hair and create a sore patch. Soooo, back to the vet: explanation = needs a bigger collar. Pup had further week with enormous collar and a course of antibiotics and regular bathing of the wounds with saline solution.

Pup was de sexed and came home wearing an Elizabethan collar.

What is this? Got the letter this week from vet saying my pup is now old enough to be desexed ( 6mths). The main thing I am worried about is that he is so active! Do I need to put him in the laundry so he rests or is it ok to put him outside? I will not be getting him done for a few weeks due to christmas and I am not worried about the cost as if they are desexed it is also much cheaper to get them registered!

Hi J@Smum

i didnt have a collar for my girl but i guess it depends onthe individual dog - she was up and acting normal the 24hrs after the op running around and playing no probs.

she just needed to sleep off the rest of the anaesthetic somewhere warm and quiet - so she was in the puppy pen for a few hours.

some dogs however will need completely different treatment....:)

are you home during the day? i would suggest trying not to leave pup unattended for the first couple of days until they settle and you can check on them.