16 Weeks Old & Hardly Barks?

Jellybean Chick

Ok we have had a real "barky" day. Our baby beagle has been barking at the other dogs, she has been barking to go outside, she was barking at my Sibe when he was chewing his bone, she was barking as she was sitting down in the backyard BY HERSELF FOR NO REASON AT ALL, she was barking when she was sitting in her bed (she gets barky when she is tired) she barked at the cat, she barked to come up on the lounge, she barked for her dinner and now she is whining to go outside.

The worst part is having to ignore her (annoying lol) when she wants something because you don't want to create a bad habit...

OP, I agree, PRAISE THE LORDY LORDY your pup is not a barker :laugh:

Ok we have had a real "barky" day. Our baby beagle has been barking at the other dogs, she has been barking to go outside, she was barking at my Sibe when he was chewing his bone, she was barking as she was sitting down in the backyard BY HERSELF FOR NO REASON AT ALL, she was barking when she was sitting in her bed (she gets barky when she is tired) she barked at the cat, she barked to come up on the lounge, she barked for her dinner and now she is whining to go outside.

The worst part is having to ignore her (annoying lol) when she wants something because you don't want to create a bad habit...

OP, I agree, PRAISE THE LORDY LORDY your pup is not a barker :)

I haven't met a beagle that isn't a barker. :laugh: But they are just too cute.... When we were at puppy school there was a dog next door who was obviously in for an op or something, howling all through the class, and when we got taken on a tour through the vet and came to the dog, it was a tiny beagle puppy.. sounded like a dog triple its size from the other room.

OP, I agree, PRAISE THE LORDY LORDY your pup is not a barker :rofl:

I haven't met a beagle that isn't a barker. :) But they are just too cute.... When we were at puppy school there was a dog next door who was obviously in for an op or something, howling all through the class, and when we got taken on a tour through the vet and came to the dog, it was a tiny beagle puppy.. sounded like a dog triple its size from the other room.

You should have heard the noise last night when my husky accidentally tripped over Daisy (our beagle) when she ran underneath him... The way she was carrying on you would have thought a cat was dying! Of course when I touched her paw when she wasn't looking she didn't make a noise. She made all that noise even though she was perfectly fine :laugh:

I have never seen a dog that barks as much as Daisy! OMG. She barks when she is happy, sad, sore, tired, excited, wanting something, barks at nothing, barks at herself, barks at the other animals... and our breeder actually told us beagles weren't barkers :rofl:

:laugh: Daisy is so cute though.... so innocent?? I have always wanted a beagle, love them but everyone has said, oh there barkers and howlers be careful... but any dog can be like that - luck of the draw i guess. They are just showing their personality. My sisters friend has a beagle, he moved into a house and within a week the dog had dug up a handbag from his backyard, he took it to the police and it was stolen 10 years ago. And then they lost him one day when away camping and eventually found him in a locked caravan eating a loaf of bread, noone knows how he got in. Full of mischeif!!

:) Daisy is so cute though.... so innocent?? I have always wanted a beagle, love them but everyone has said, oh there barkers and howlers be careful... but any dog can be like that - luck of the draw i guess. They are just showing their personality. My sisters friend has a beagle, he moved into a house and within a week the dog had dug up a handbag from his backyard, he took it to the police and it was stolen 10 years ago. And then they lost him one day when away camping and eventually found him in a locked caravan eating a loaf of bread, noone knows how he got in. Full of mischeif!!

Yes, innocent in the way all puppies are "innocent". They are much naughtier than adult dogs, that's for sure! They can get away with so much when they look at you with those sad eyes... "I'm only a puppy, I didn't mean too :rofl::(:rofl:"

Apart from the barking I can definately recommend a Beagle. You're right you could get that with any dog you have. She isn't too bad... she is generally quiet when she is asleep :laugh:

Be thankful and praise the lord LOL

Ditto - I have a barker/talker (Staffy) and one who only barks for a reason - Even then it is only one or two barks at the most, NEVER on and on and on

I actually taught kaos to speak on comand, she never stopped talking, it took me a day - i have also started to teach her to be quite - She grumbles and makes alll sorts of strange noises ALL the time!!

Oh how I wished my dogs WOULD bark. I just ducked down the road for a minute, which happened to be the EXACT minute my next door neighbour decided to drop back a container I'd given them some home made spaghetti in a few days ago.I'd left the house wide open. When we got back, he popped his head out the door to let me know that he'd dropped of the container. I asked if aforementioned dog had tried to chew his leg off, but he said, "No." and I thought, lovely neighbour that he is, doggy should have TRIED to be defensive of our house and home. Perhaps n.d.n is so lovely a person he didn't need to be concerned about puppy?

I heard my pup bark once or twice as a real young pup, i.e 8 weeks but literally didn't hear her bark again until she was close to 6 months. She'll bark if she needs to, but she rarely needs to. I orginally put it down to her kelpie dad having a lot of "eye" in him (kelpies tend to be either eye dogs or barkers) but I've since figured out thats just her! ;) She's half lab and definitely has that big deep lab bark - first time I heard it was when I walked around the side of the house in the dark and scared the cr*p out of her - she then returned the favour :D

GG - my dog is the same. I think she would lick an intruder to death ;)

Edited by feralpup

Billy is 6mths old and appart from barking as a small pup to go out to the toilet in the middle of the night he has barked maybe 10 times and then its just one or two woofs and its done.

We have a VERY yappy dog 2 houses down that use to run up and down our back fence all day (no back neighbours), which would then set off the dalmation next door and sometimes the barking would go on and off for most of the day ggggrrrr, but Billy never caught on, it actually use to scare the poor little bugger, and mysteriously the little yappy dog two houses down has been completely quiet lately, which i think has something to do with some of the other neighbours complaining.

I would never complain about a non barking dog. LOL. I dont care for Billy to even bark as a warning, i would just prefer no barking at all.