16 Weeks Old & Hardly Barks?

Jellybean Chick

I would love to be in your shoes right now! Our 10 week old beagle is a total barker. She won't shut up! :walkdog:

In all seriousness, I wouldn't be worried. We hardly ever heard a peep out of my husky when he was a pup. Some dogs are barkers and some aren't :D

Whoops, ETA: no I don't think you do need to teach them how to bark. Like I said some dogs are quieter than others

Edited by husky87

It might be his nature to bark when barking is required for him to bark. Ari hardly barks at all, but when she does, it's a deep WOOOOF and you KNOW something ISN'T right. She's 5, almost 6 months old and I think she is just a lovely, laid back darlin who really doesn't care for barking unnecessarily :walkdog: Your little fella might be the same lovable oaf :D :)

Do you mean barking while playing or as protecting? I don't know much about labs but I wouldn't be too concerned as the older he gets the more he will take on the responsibility of protector, he is still only a baby. And I probably wouldn't want to encourage barking while playing as I could imagine it being an annoying habit as an adult. I have a dogue de bordeaux and they are known to be excellent none aggressive guard dogs, as a puppy I never heard a peep out of him, and I was thinking 'yer right great guard dog' but the more settled and older he got the more he has taken on this role. He still hardly barks but if he does I will always check as he will never bark for no reason. So I would be happy if I was you :walkdog: as most people want to stop their dog from barking. BTW congrats on the new puppy! Post piccie please!

Do you mean barking while playing or as protecting? I don't know much about labs but I wouldn't be too concerned as the older he gets the more he will take on the responsibility of protector, he is still only a baby. And I probably wouldn't want to encourage barking while playing as I could imagine it being an annoying habit as an adult. I have a dogue de bordeaux and they are known to be excellent none aggressive guard dogs, as a puppy I never heard a peep out of him, and I was thinking 'yer right great guard dog' but the more settled and older he got the more he has taken on this role. He still hardly barks but if he does I will always check as he will never bark for no reason. So I would be happy if I was you :walkdog: as most people want to stop their dog from barking. BTW congrats on the new puppy! Post piccie please!

It's good to hear that a lot of other dogs were the same as pups, you are all right, it probably IS a good thing! Here are some pics of Hunter, he'll be 16 weeks old on Christmas Day!

Hunternew.jpghunter2small.jpghuntersmall.jpg

I would love to be in your shoes right now! Our 10 week old beagle is a total barker. She won't shut up! :walkdog:

In all seriousness, I wouldn't be worried. We hardly ever heard a peep out of my husky when he was a pup. Some dogs are barkers and some aren't :)

Whoops, ETA: no I don't think you do need to teach them how to bark. Like I said some dogs are quieter than others

Wait till Daisy starts to jump!! Sammy can jump over a meter high! we have had to move everything she jumps from one thing to another and pulls things down off the tables she can reach, little terror :D

what a cutie.

I wouldn't worry either Maggie didn't bark for ages and now only barks when necessary. It was the one thing I wanted in a dog and that is a non barker and I was so lucky as so many people told me that Cockers are known for their barking.

Jellybean Chick,

Maybe you are having one of those like mine. Nobody will believe this, but I haven't heard my dog bark for two and half weeks already. The last time at puppy school three weeks ago, she barked a couple of times, then since home once or twice then she stopped. She make other noises just not barking. Her parents are not barkers, the breeder's dogs are not barkers. So maybe you have one of those. But if in doubt, get some opinion of a vet.

edited, can't spell.

Edited by flycow

I reckon you've got a good one there. He'll probably learn to bark in certain situations as required when he is older.

Neither of my adult labs barked as pups and now they only bark when they feel someone is threatening their territory... they are GREAT watch dogs. I have a pup here who was developing a barking tendency at 8 weeks... I had to make sure it didn't develop as I will not tolerate barking dogs! He is now as quiet as a mouse :happydance2:

I had a lab many years ago and she would only bark when someone walked past the yard when she was outside. She was a very quiet lady the rest of the time :happydance2:

Edited as I missed a word :mad

Edited by BrissyGal

Our girl hardly barks at 16 weeks - and i don't believe it is such a bad thing... the last thing you want is a constant barker..

I think our pup hears the dog behind our place and has decided she does not want to turn out like that...