Split Nails

Toohey

Hi Toohey,

My old boy has a simialr thing happening to his nails. The top half of the nail separates from the bed right back to the skin. he won't let me trim them when they are like this so I often have to pull the hard shell part off in a quick motion. Most of the time he doesn't react when I do it. Sometimes the mail growns back club like in appearance / deformed. I noticed this started to happen after he had most of his teeth removed. Poor kid only has his k9's left but still eats fine. His diet hasn't changed since the removal. He was never a big bone eater but I did and still do crush necks up for him, he eats eukanuba, chicken mince, beef, lamb etc. My vet was also at a loss as to what was happening so I decided to just leave it. Most of the time it doesn't affect him I just keep an eye on them and trim etc when needed. Sorry can't help with what it is but sympathise about having it.

There's a thread in the rescue section about a greyhound with SLO, we've had one here in Canberra with it too.

Larissa, is it symmetrical lupoid onchodystrophy?

http://www.arizonaadoptagreyhound.org/news...s/toenails.html

There's an adopted grey here in Canberra with SLO, management is more involved initially - when it first started happening (also around 2 years old) his nails came off with a lot of blood, and some infections in the nail bed which required bathing and/or antibiotics, however the condition seems to stablise and nails start coming off without bleeding, and then even that seems to slow right down. The local boy is just on supplements and is doing well, losing nails only occasionally and new nails growing back nice and strong.

My friend fostered the Canberra grey and has a heap of info on the condition.

Edited by paula_canberra

Oh the poor baby .That look :laugh: . Lets hope you have found the problem now and she can be treated and get better. That nail looks very sore.

Big hugs from Maggie :p :o :D

Edited by magthedag