How Skinny Is Too Skinny?

jaybeece

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your boy looks good; if his ribs are showing then he could be considered skinny but I doubt that is the case with your dog; show us a photo of his profile.

patheticlh2.jpg

and

actionpm3.jpg

Those are the best examples I have at work. You can see his ribs, but it's not too bad. I was more concerned that he looks very skinny from above.

And that poor dog Shmoo :thumbsup: How can the owners not see that he's not happy like that? I'm sure he'd love to be able to bounce around and play, but he can't :( What kind of quality of life is that? Don't they understand how good it feels to be fit and healthy???

Jaybeece your boy looks great! And what a handsome boy at that :thumbsup:

Oh my goodness, Shmoo, those photos made me cry :( How can anyone think their dog is happy like that :D I'm sure he would love to able to run around play if he could :eek:

Hi Jaybeece,

Looks ok to me, if they are a bundle of energy and fit and well don't worry, your baby is running the calories off as quick as it can eat them, and think about it !!!!!!!! same problems for a human if you don't use up your calories in exercise and you eat good sized meals you are going to be fat, no different for a dog.... FOOD > EXERCISE > FIT ...

Hope this helps..

Regards Jessie...

Jaybeece, your dog is so handsome and he would look even more awesome if he did have 2 or 3 extra kgs, it's hard to make out from those photos but he looks just a little thin, not too bad though.

shmoo, are the owners just as overweight? just wondering...

no, owners are not over weight. nor are the kids in the family.

i know, they cant seem to get it through their thick heads that its no way for a dog to live. they think that because he woofs his food down and always enjoys treats that that must mean he is hungry!! :thumbsup:

I'm one of those Lab owners with a nicely built lab. Not much fat, lots of muscle. She looks GREAT! :thumbsup:

Although she was overweight - when she lived at my parents for a year - and has arthritis now because of it. She's starting on Cartrophen injections soon.

Doesn't help her joints much that she's ball/frisbee/water mad! So we try to keep playing to a minimum, and a bit of walking but not too much running.

See what I mean by frisbee mad?

molfrisbee.jpg

Oh she's also much faster at fetch than the muscley Boxer too.

They're both in peak optimal condition!

-WithEverythingIAm

I have one of those too :D People always say to me "oh he looks great" and even at dog training there is one instructor who will always tell an owner if their dog is getitng on the chunky side, he regularly does little talks about the importance of keeping your dog trim. Especially the labs, he uses Ramses as an example of what a lab should look like :rofl: We feel special!

100_0529.jpg

Jaybeece, what a handsome boy you have there :thumbsup: . He looks trim, fit and muscley to me

Our vet has always told us to keep Ben skinny. At his best, he's about 34kg's (he's quite a big boy), but I think he has put on a little weight over the last few months - the new year is diet time for all of us :rofl: . We've had a couple of people say "oh look, it's a skinny Labrador" like they have never seen one before. I always feel sorry for those fat dogs I see at the dog beach. They just look so uncomfy. My friend who has cattle dogs has a few chubbas, I always refer to them as coffee tables, cos you could put a cup on their back and it would stay there :D .

spoilt lab lives here

I have one of those too :thumbsup: People always say to me "oh he looks great" and even at dog training there is one instructor who will always tell an owner if their dog is getitng on the chunky side, he regularly does little talks about the importance of keeping your dog trim. Especially the labs, he uses Ramses as an example of what a lab should look like :D We feel special!

100_0529.jpg

Is your lab white or is it just the photo? he looks magnificent.

Edited by Zorro_007

Hey there Guys..... My 2cents worth. I am owned by 2 Great Danes. Waldo is 12 mths old and skinny as a rake but heavily muscled though the chest shoulders and rear. I was concerned because I could NOT put weight on him. 2 Vets told me to stop being a worry wart... He is aggressively fit and healthy (No not at all aggressive LoL) Taylor is a 10 month old girl that is probably 10 kg overweight, and that is 10 kg less than when I got her 2 mths ago...... Point is they get pretty much the same tucker.... him a bit more..... the same exercise time and both hugely spoilt.......... and he still looks like a Grey Hound on growth supplements. Some dogs are meant to be trim, others tend to the porky....... We love them both, feed one up and restrict the other and have 2 healthy fit dogs.

JayBeeCe......... your guy looks Great!!!!!

WaldosDad

spoilt lab lives here

I have one of those too :cheer: People always say to me "oh he looks great" and even at dog training there is one instructor who will always tell an owner if their dog is getitng on the chunky side, he regularly does little talks about the importance of keeping your dog trim. Especially the labs, he uses Ramses as an example of what a lab should look like :laugh: We feel special!

100_0529.jpg

Is your lab white or is it just the photo? he looks magnificent.

He is nearly white when clean :laugh: I think he had a bath a day or 2 before we went on holidays. Thanks guys! I love having a normal labrador! all the compliments is great :eek:

He's perfect mate :D keep him that way for life..

As dogs get older its natural to carry extra weight even if not overfed, usually ive noticed its mostly around the neck/chest area,so when he gets old its just old not fat :champagne:

i have an olde dog wit a fat neck and a couple of skinny bitches keeping him honest :happydance:

i have an olde dog wit a fat neck and a couple of skinny bitches keeping him honest :champagne:

:D :happydance:

Thanks to those who had nice comments about my boy :cheer: I have a feeling I won't be able to put any more weight on the bugger for at least another couple of years so I'm glad he looks like he's in good shape now.

my two both have the same amount of food one looks great to me weight evenly spread and the other is thinner and they both are not active dogs.

Lay around alot except for their walks they dont play alot just a little in the morning after they are let out....not much you can do about it like some ppl eat like horses and never put on wieght ..My Hubby used to say you cant fatten a thoughbred lol