Anyone For Agility In Sydney?

Just wondering if anyone wants to join me for an agility day this week, probably Thursday? I'm thinking I might just take what equipment I have to a park for the whole day & do some training. Mostly foundation type things & small sequences. I would like to practise some of the things I learnt at the Ronda Carter seminar & since training doesn't go back till Feb & I have a trial before then thought it'd be worthwhile.

I'm hoping to convince Sidoney to come along as well & between the 2 of us we can probably help any level for anyone who is interested as well as train our own dogs.

Sam, will this day suit you?

Edited by Vickie

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That works for me! let me know the time and We'll be there with bells on! This will work well as I need some help with controlling the weaving! lol jocks too quick but he won't do them with out me by his side!

Edited by snoopys_jocks

I will definitely be doing some weaving & there are a number of exercises we can do to help Jock weave independently (although it won't be fixed in a day, but there's certainly stuff you can work on at home.)

Will come up with a list of what I want to work on & then if others are coming we can add to it, depending on what people are interested in.

Location? I am in Nth Ryde, as is SJ. Not too fussed really, but it is pretty central here & there are a couple of places we could go.

Im in St George area, perhaps Homebush would be a place (Bicentenial Park as an example if nto too busy of course)

Im happy to go to Nrth Ryde.

BTW Im a total novice to it and so is my puppy, so you will have to put up with us BIG time.

Plus I work so Im avail only evening if thats Ok with you guys.

Ill teach her "touch" by than, no prob.

Bernie gets back from the USA on Thursday. Besides not knowing when his flight is, it's probably best for me to not go off doing dog stuff the day he gets back, after him having been away for almost four weeks!!

I'd be up for it on another day though.

Edit: just been talking to Vickie and at this stage we are looking at Wednesday.

Edited by sidoney

Cool! Sounds like Wednesday it is.

What time do you finish Myszka? Only problem for me is that I have my son to pick up by 6pm from preschool. I was thinking during the day as there won't be other dogs around. If everyone would really prefer later then I guess I could fly out, get him & come back...but I won't get much done after that, LOL.

As far as location, do we need fully fenced? The park near my house is enormous & will have some shade. It is far enough off the road & there are a couple offenced ovals or the fully fenced off leash park we had a DOL meet at?

Other suggestions?

The only thing with the fenced area is that if other dogs arrive we won't get much agility done.

I've got pretty comprehensive notes from the Rhonda Carter seminar, although I didn't work a dog there, so between me and Vickie who had the working experience we probably have a fair bit of it covered.

Edited by sidoney

Vickie, just to let you know on wednesday night there is baseball at ELS. So if you are going to train you should probably do so before 5:30pm if you wanted to use that field. (just thought that that field is closer to the cars....you'll have a shorter distance to lug all your gear!)

I'm thinking we may have to have a bigger get together on a weekend. I really need to do it during the day and can't really do the evening thing. It's not that my son is a monster or anything (well sometimes), it's just that I like to be able to give my dogs my full concentration when I am training them and I certainly can't do that with one eye on a 2YO.

I am going to ELS Hall park at 10am, will have weave poles, about 4-6 jumps, a table and a contact board.

If anyone still wants to meet later in the evening, I am happy to come as well, just probably won't do any serious training, although I may bring a dog or 2.

I wont be able to make it during the day, if its that far.

If it was in my area I could do the "work from home" and dash out for an our or two with no problems any time of the day.

I dont need a fenced area.

so if you can come my way than Im up for it, there is a big enough park with absolutly noone there near my house, its fenced off on three sides and it runs of ano through alley way hence no cars. Plenty of space, tap with water and we can always go back to my place if we need something.

Let me know what you decide. Alternativelly I can do a Sunday.

Edited by myszka

We had fun! Next time it definitely has to be on a Sunday, so that we can be a bigger group.

I put a few pics in the photo forum.

I just want to say a huge well done to Sam (SnoopyJocks). There was a vast improvement in both her dogs by the end of the day.

At the beginning of the day, Snoopy started off weaving by relying on Sam to guide him in & out with her hand. By his last run, not only had he cut around a second off his time, but didn't need her hand signals anymore.

She also managed to get some real enthusiasm out of Jock, it was hot & he wasn't too keen early up, but was bouncing around like a maniac when we finished.

Also a big thank you to Cedar, who worked so happily for 4 different handlers throughout the morning.

A great day, I'm looking forward to the next one! Thanks guys.