Process Of Uploading Videos?

Vickie

Just wondering what software people use to get their videos from their camera onto the web?

I downloaded Windows Media Encoder which was free. I don't fully understand it (just got it right once & kept that setting, LOL), but can produce a Wmv file from pretty much anything & can produce the size by about a sixth, although I lose significant quality.

What does everyone else use? Do you encode & reduce the file size?

Any tips would be great.

Because my camera encodes in QuickTime (which has massive file sizes) I have just been uploading to YouTube and posting the link. YouTube loses some quality and makes it smaller but it's my best option atm.

ETA: That's for videos to show on DOL.

Edited by molasseslass

I have a little video camera that I bought from Target called an Xacti

http://www.sanyo-dsc.com/english/products/vpc_ca6/index.html

It saves to a SD card, and it can do still captures and on board editing and you simply take the card out of the camera, and put it into a card reader to upload it. Nothing else needs to be done.

The Warehouse are sellinga PocketDV8800

http://www.aiptek.com.tw/english/product/dv/dv8800.htm

which is very similar you can record straight onto a SD card, but no still image capture or on board editing.

Here are some hints on uploading to youtube.

Do I have to sign up to upload videos? Yes. Since videos are attached to your profile, you must sign up as a member to upload videos. Becoming a member also allows you to save videos, create playlists, and leave comments, among many other features. How long do my videos stay on YouTube? Videos stay on YouTube until the members who uploaded them choose to take them down. Videos which violate the terms of use and have been flagged may be taken down by YouTube. How long can my video be? Most videos on YouTube are under five minutes long. There is a 10-minute length limit (unless you have a Director account). Longer videos require more compression to fit in the 100MB size limit, and the quality will go down as the length of the video goes up. What video file formats can I upload? YouTube accepts video files from most digital cameras and camcorders, and cell phones in the .AVI, .MOV, and .MPG file formats. What's the best format to upload for high quality? We recommend the MPEG4 (Divx, Xvid) format at 320x240 resolution with MP3 audio, at 30 frames per second. Resizing your video to these specifications before uploading will help your clips look better on YouTube. How long will my video take to upload? Depending on your connection speed and the size of the video, it can take anywhere from a few minutes to several hours to upload a video. Generally, if you have a high-speed internet connection you can expect the upload to take somewhere between 1-5mins for every 1MB. However, the experience is different for every user because of the variation in connection speeds. Is there a limit to how much I can upload? Currently, the only limit is 100MB and 10 minutes in length per video (there is no length limit for Director accounts). We don't have any limit for the number of videos you can upload, and don't foresee adding a ceiling anytime in the future. So get crankin' and upload as many videos as you'd like—it's more content for the whole YouTube community to enjoy!

Edited by CrashTestDummy