Opinions On Yoghurt

Danois

I am a touch confused - I was told by someone that yoghurt is good for puppies. This was what the breeder also advised me. I was told it was especially good for farting puppies and my wee Angus does this soooo wonderfully :rofl:

It seemed to have helped but then he got a bit loose in his poos. His puppy trainer told me that this was likely to be a reaction to the yoghurt...

So I am putting it out to all those experienced - is it good or bad?

I otherwise feed Nutrience Dry Food with the intention of adding mince this week.

Ollie is not fussed on plain yoghurt but loves the Jalna vanilla one... So that is what he gets...

I often buy the natural greek one with fruit for myself and I usually leave him a bit of the yoghurt and fruit in the bottom of the container...

Only buy the good yoghurts like Jalna, the sweetened yoghurt desserts are rubbish. If you feed it occasionally in moderation you shouldn't have a problem.

Yoghurt is usually tolerated by dogs because the majority of the lactose has been consumed by the bacteria, but there's still a chance that some dogs may react to the very small amount that remains. Try feeding tiny amounts and slowly increase it, if you still get sloppy poos obviously it doesn't agree with your dog.

If your dog has a lot of flatulence it's probably caused by the cereal content of the dry food, I've found that wheat and corn can cause this which is why I'm currently feeding Nutro Lamb and Rice.

mine each get a tablespoon of plain, natural yoghurt every day, including the puppy. never had any problems, not even with the one who's allergic to everything and lactose intolerant. they love their yoghurt. also, in summer when it's hot, i'll smush a banana up in some yoghurt and freeze it - then they get a nice 'icey' treat to lick and it keeps them quiet...for about 20 seconds. but those 20 seconds are pure bliss...

I mix Pauls Natural Yoghurt through Lily's dry food and she just loves it. It acutally makes her dryfood look like cookies and cream... perhaps i was craving something sweet at the time, but it looks appealing?? :thumbsup:

That's exactly what i do, makes it look less 'dry' thats for sure :)