Yes Another Toilet Traning Thing.

Arley

Ahhh I am so over this toilet Training stuff, i seem to be getting nowhere. This week is Week 4 and she is not getting any better i have tried so many things. Rewards praising her when she goes outside. But lately shes going less out side and walks in side and wees. She hardly poos inside Just wees. What else can i try, someone one suggested to rub her nose in it but that seems a bit mean and i cant bring myself to do it incase it hurts her.

Rubbing her nose in it is, like you said, mean. When she goes in the house, does she always go in the same spot, or the same few spots? Or does she just go anywhere? Make sure you clean up all her messes with something that will remove the smell completely, because some dogs like to go where they can smell that they have done it before.

Remember, just because you can't smell it doesnt mean that her special doggy nose can't smell it :p

She is just on 12 Weeks old. There is noone spot that she wees anywhere she wants. I Clean it up with a rag n some spray and wipe stuff. I will try with a bit of something else and see how that goes. Thanks Guys..

From what I can see you haven't been consistent with one method so you are not going to see results.

Puppies have short attention spans, you need to stick to one method and be 100% consistent with it so she understands.

How we toilet train our fosters is as follows:

1) Watch them like a hawk, you want to be able to catch them in the act, the more accidents they have that you don't see will mean it's going to take longer to toilet train.

2) For puppies, outside every 30 minutes, outside must be a fun place to go, give a toileting command, they won't understand this at first however overtime they will.

3) When they start to toilet, in a calm but happy voice give praise using your toileting command ie. "Good Toilet".

4) When they have finished lay on the praise big time and then have a bit of a play to cement that outside is fun.

5) If a poo is found in the house, it gets taken out to the yard.

6) Any accident is cleaned up with the dog in another room, so the possiblity of it becoming a game doesn't occur. Always clean up with an 'accident spray'.

7) If you catch the dog in the act, give a firm NO, you do not want to scare the dog though, don't run at the dog or anything like that. Then take the dog outside to finish its' toileting.

Good Luck :D

Side note: Don't use house hold cleaners to clean up 'accidents' on carpets as it it burns the fibres in the carpet and it doesn't get rid of the smell the dog can smell that indicates toileting. Always use a specific accident spray from your pets supply store. You could use white vinegar, I personaly find it a bit smelly though.

And lasty, remember with puppies and adult dogs, a repremand is nothing without it being followed with praise for doing the right thing.

Edited by sas

She is just on 12 Weeks old. There is noone spot that she wees anywhere she wants. I Clean it up with a rag n some spray and wipe stuff. I will try with a bit of something else and see how that goes. Thanks Guys..

If you're talking about 'Spray 'n Wipe' that could be part of the problem. You need to be cleaning up using an enzyme-based cleaner to remove as much of the odour as you can. Dogs can sense odours much better than humans can. You may not be able to smell the piddle, but your pup most likely can.

I'd say go back to the beginning with house training. Confine the pup when you can't supervise, take her outside as soon as she wakes, immediately after meals, after play and reward and praise EVERY time she does the right thing. Also take her out once an hour besides the times I've described. DON'T allow her to play outside, take her on lead and make sure she goes to the toilet. Allow 15 minutes at most. If she doesn't toilet, back inside to her confined place (crate, room with hard floor, on lead attached to your belt). The second you see her "need to go" signals, such as circling or sniffing, get her outside on lead, and give the command to toilet. If you are doing this consistently, you will see results in a week or so.

NEVER rub a dog's nose in their toilet mistakes. That's just cruel. :D

Take a deep breath Arley. No matter what you do, at 12 weeks, she just cannot hang on, when she needs to go, she needs to go NOW.

I'm not a big fan of endless crating.

She needs to go as soon as she wakes up, shortly after she eats - 5 - 15 minutes, and at other times during the day. So, if you take her out when she wakes up, and after food, and about every hour during her awake times, you should get a few strikes outside. You can use a word - "wees" or "quickly" or something, which you say in a happy voice when she does something, coupled with making a fuss of her when she she has toileted outside. If you take her out and she wont go, simply wait and wait until she has been, and make a fuss of her. Then take her inside.

If I catch mine going inside, I say "uh", pick them up and take them out.

Unless she is extra special, you probably wont have her trained until about 5 months. No matter what you do. Some take less time, some take more. Rubbing her nose in her mess does nothing except give her a dirty nose, and releases some of your frustrations!! Doesn't work either!! The dog doesn't connect the nose rub with the act which produced what you rub the nose in! :(

If you are worried about the carpet, see if she goes in one spot. If she does, buy some of those puppy pads, and put them down in the spot, which will at least save the carpet. They don't work for all pups though. I've had a few who messed everywhere, and dragged the pad up and down the hall, shredding it as they went. :D

post-438-1171337907_thumb.jpg