Questions About Roo Again

Guest kitakins

Guest kitakins

i gave kuma a roo tail earlier on and i was a bit worried about the whole thing. are the bones supposed to be harder than a chicken neck? there was a lot of crunching going on. she chewed it all well but i dunno. also, how do i get rid of that horrible roo breath. it is freaking awful! i cant stand it. she comes to give me a kiss and i push her away :rofl: vomit worthy. her whole body smells like roo actually.

One of my dogs eats roo twice a day - tails in the morning, mince at night. The roo tails are MUCH harder than chicken or anything other poultry bone. Try cutting it with a knife and see how far you get! Even the tendons are tough - like steel cable. It doesn't seem to bother our dog - he crunches through it just fine. His teeth are fine - they haven't exploded or been chipped or fallen out or worn away...they are white and clean. And he's been eating roo every day, twice a day, for 2 years.

As for the roo breath...I can't say I really noticed it. I do remember that, at first, I was personally quite sensitive to the smell (reminded me of road kill), but now either I'm used to it, or the dog has gotten better at processing it, because I don't really smell it at all. It's possibly a bit of both. The meat itself is quite strong and I'm sure it takes a dog a few days for their bodies to become better at processing the meat. But I'm also sure that I've become desensitised to the smell. Hopefully you will too!

Roo meat wont hurt your dogs. If they were in the wild they would eat what ever they could catch. In fact roo meat, as with all game is better for you and your dogs because it has no cholesterol in it and is very very lean. As for the bad breath, plenty of water (for the dog) and you'll get used to it - its the unusual smell that you are noticing but it passes.

i gave kuma a roo tail earlier on and i was a bit worried about the whole thing. are the bones supposed to be harder than a chicken neck? there was a lot of crunching going on. she chewed it all well but i dunno. also, how do i get rid of that horrible roo breath. it is freaking awful! i cant stand it. she comes to give me a kiss and i push her away :rofl: vomit worthy. her whole body smells like roo actually.

When Bob was on roo he stunk. It just seemed to come out of the pores of his skin. It wasn't nice but I put up with it because it helped his tummy so much. I'm not sure if it would help but maybe a little bit of parsley for the roo breath. ;) I think some dogs just smell on it and others don't, a bit like some people and garlic. A vet nurse actually asked if I noticed he smelled when I told her I was feeding roo. :rolleyes:

Your pup should be okay on the roo tails. I used to feed them a lot years ago when I got them for free. Keep an eye on her though and if you're worried speak to your vet. Is your dog used to eating bones? Sometimes they just gorge themselves and then vomit.

Guest kitakins

shes not used to eating them but i watched her the whole time and she chewed it up pretty well. i just dont think her stomach is 'built' for bones. in fact, i dont think she is doing well on the roo. her poos are slightly better now but she is scratching SO much more than on the chicken.

Hi I feed roo every day

I will not feed bones or tail and my dogs chewed up the bones then vomited back up over night

I feed the meat with no problems

The Bad Breathe?? Scooby Snacks of course the cheese ones work great

Guest kitakins

i take what i said back about her poos getting better. the poor girl didnt even make it to the grass this morning. she had to let loose on the bricks. it was NASTY! the only thing solid in the damn thing was undigested rice [she usually digests rice well]. im not going to continue with this diet. its been 2 weeks and she is worse. its not for her.

soooooo any suggestiong for a new vet? :laugh: im thinking about seeing clare middle. everyone else has either run out of answers or wont bother testing for anything.

i take what i said back about her poos getting better. the poor girl didnt even make it to the grass this morning. she had to let loose on the bricks. it was NASTY! the only thing solid in the damn thing was undigested rice [she usually digests rice well]. im not going to continue with this diet. its been 2 weeks and she is worse. its not for her.

Your poor pooch, sounds like she's got a very volatile gut at the moment. :laugh: If it's a predominately intestinal problem then a very low fat diet may well help. Fats of any kind can be pro inflammatory to the intestines and cause loose poops. Unfortunately the only way I can get any sort of decent poops out of Bob is to cook his rabbit, drain it and then tip a kettle of hot water over it to remove as much fat as possible. I know raw would be better on a nutrient level, but if it doesn't work it doesn't work. Often too, if a dog has a compromised digestive system, the added burden of bacteria in raw doesn't help. Fine for healthy dogs doesn't work for everyone. I'm sure you're aware that supplements sometimes are not tolerated well. Bob doesn't tolerate Vit C or any sort of fish oil.

Hopefully you'll get some suggestions for a vet close to you that will scope your pup, do any other tests required, give you a diagnosis and work with you towards a healthy happy dog. Good luck.

Kangaroo meat is the LOWEST fat meat available and personally I wouldn't use it for a puppy because of that reason :eek: Puppies actually need more fat than an adult dog :angel:

Kitakins - I must have missed something - why is your dog on rice? What diet are you talking about?

:cheer::cheer::scold: Holistic vet?? Huh? Do you have a dietary problem with this puppy?

With the runny poop - back to basics - boiled chicken and rice for a few days :(

Hey Kita

my girl gets roo bones and will crunch up the bones if given enough time - i usually try to take them away before she gets tht far or shes throws up the little bits in the night too :angel:

are you trying to feed raw? i feed mine bones and veggies but i do it myself (dont buy the rolls or anything...) let me know if you want any info - my boy has thrived on it and too our baby girl (7 months)

Guest kitakins
Kangaroo meat is the LOWEST fat meat available and personally I wouldn't use it for a puppy because of that reason ;) Puppies actually need more fat than an adult dog :shrug:

Kitakins - I must have missed something - why is your dog on rice? What diet are you talking about?

:(:) ;) Holistic vet?? Huh? Do you have a dietary problem with this puppy?

With the runny poop - back to basics - boiled chicken and rice for a few days :rofl:

i think you are missing something! ;) i have previous threads on this. btw shes not a puppy, unless being almost 5 still counts :p

basically a vet put her on an elimination diet of roo, rice and veges due to several issues, but it has made her worse. no suprises there, i had a feeling she wouldnt be able to handle it. the diet was suggested because the vet couldnt be arsed finding out whats really wrong with her. thats pretty much it. akitaowner, its raw homemade, not rolls.

Your poor dog sounds like she's having a hard time of it! It is common for dogs to get stomach upsets with a diet change - especially a radical one (and by radical, I mean a complete and sudden change in diet). If you suddenly feed her a lot of roo, I would think it is normal for her stomach to rebel! And roo meat is a strong meat, and can certainly cause a few days of tummy troubles. However, you know your dog better than anyone. If you don't think your dog is coping with the roo, then by all means stop the diet.

In the meantime, try to find something your dog can cope with. Many dogs that can't tolerate chicken can tolerate other less rich meats, such as fish. Have you tried maybe some tinned salmon or tuna? Both meats are light, and have good quantities of essential fats that your dog needs. Other meats you could try, but which might be a little harder to find, include rabbit, duck, goat...basically any meat that hasn't been mass-produced and pumped full of antibiotics. Also, some dogs that don't really tolerate chicken seem to handle turkey with fewer problems. Turkey meat is quite cheap, and easier to find than say rabbit.

Let us know how you go!

ETA: If you're feeding fish, you might need to consider a calcium supplement, if there is no other source of calcium in your dog's diet.

Edited by Faolmor

Guest kitakins

faolmor, she has been on the roo for 2 weeks now and it was introduced over a few days to start off with. plenty of time to adjust but she just cant do it :) im feeding her boiled chicken and rice atm. just letting her stomach go back to 'normal'.

Kitakins I totally empathise.

Rafael is 18 months. I have been on elimination diets with him since he was 11 months old. He is currently on a roo, carrot, zucchini and cottage cheese diet, which while its not perfect, works far better than any else he's been on over the last 7ish months. He is definitely intolerant to chicken and turkey. I am also highly suspicious of lamb. I'm also yet to rule out beef or pork. Like you I know immediately if something is not agreeing with Rafael. I trialed a new kibble last week. Three days later he had the runs again :) Just go with your gut feeling about what works best.

If you are getting no where with your vet, ask for a referral to Murdoch, the dermatology centre will put you on the right path. The consults are more expensive but at least you'll feel like youre getting somewhere. If they wont give you the referral go to the normal clinic at Murdoch and ask there for a referral to dermatology.

If you do use Clare Middle I would be interested to know how you go. I've read some interesting articles on her.

we feed our Dane on roo mince and Science Diet Kibble. Have just switched from Eukanuba as it made his skin hot and itchy. He's been great on this new diet. We sometimes give him the roo tails for outside chewing, which is great because he usually chews everything else up in about half an hour lol.

It does smell horrible though! I wash and wipe his face down before letting him back inside after feeding, then give him a "yip yap doggy breath mint" and it's like he never ate the roo mince :o

Have you tried him on a hypoAllergine food like S/D ZD or something similar from Royal Canine?