Highest Score In Trial

I can see why people think it is unfair to award the best in trial to a CCD competitor, because it is "easier", but surely, the handlers and dogs that are entered in CCD are entered there because that is the level they are capable of. It is not as if people with higher level dogs can keep entering CCD just to get a perfect score so as to grab the award.

It would be like awarding something to kids at school and saying we will give a prize to the child with the highest score in their maths exam, but we will not let the grade 1 kids win because their test was easier. Oh, hang on, the grade 2,3,4,5,6 tests were easier too - lets restrict the prize to grade 7. If you want to exclude CCD, then call the award best in trial, novice and above. Then there will be those who say that it is easier to get a high score in novice than UDX, so where do you stop?

If club members are really upset (and I am guessing the ones most upset are the ones who were beaten by a CCD score) then why not exclude CCD and have a special award for the best trial score in CCD. That way you are recognising the new dogs/handlers and encouraging them, but also recognising the extra training and skill required for the higher level trials.

Dunno really - just my 2c worth. Not sure what our club does (and as I am unlikely to ever be in the running for it I don't really care ;) )

Cheers,

DagBoy

Good point Dagboy. I know I struggled much more at encouragement than when I started training for Open. Open training was a breeze in comparison. I had never trialled before so did not have the knowledge, had more nerves in the ring etc- I was simply not as good at handling.

Edited by helen

But as someone stated before CCD is now a titled class where as Encouragement was not. It should be included in HSIT. Competitors scoring in the high 190's have plenty of opportunity to win the ring, etc, some one in CCD is just starting out...remember the name of the class CCD replaced??? ENCOURAGEMENT.

How many trophies and accolades do you really need? They mean little if you and your dog are'nt enjoying the company of friends: old and new, companionship and atmosphere of a trial because of a preoccupation with checking scores and calulations for HSIT, etc. Just MHO.