Teeth Cleaning

... but the vet told us that the raw meat wasn't that great for them

Did the Vet give you a reason why he believed raw meat wasn't good for your dogs?

... and wouldn't help their teeth.

I agree with this. It would do nothing to serve as a natural scraper to remove and keep plaque at bay.

ETA: IMO it is best to have the dogs' teeth cleaned - assuming it is needed (and the bad breath you speak of might be an indicator of this) - BEFORE peridental disease sets in. To treat the latter is not only time consuming and awkward, but will likely to cause you greater expense in relation to veterinary bills.

The only other option I can think of is a second opinion. But there goes another Vet Bill. :eek:

Edited by Erny

$200-250 is about what I would expect for a dental that does not include extractions. You would generally find that about $100 is the general anaesthetic, and the remainder is(or at least should be) the charge for a general descale and polish (including checking peridontal pockets, doing a dental chart and removing any very loose teeth) and any associated drugs and / or hospital charges.

Around here its between $200-$400 depending on how bad the teeth are, although most of our practices dont do the dental charts. (that ive heard of anyway)

Another option for dental food is Hills T/D and oral care. May work out a bit cheaper on the food option?

I've noticed that raw bones at least 3 times a week really help keep my dog's teeth clean. His basic diet is nothing special- mostly dry food with occasional chicken necks and wings.

Am glad you're having the work done. Must be painful for a dog to have bad teeth. Have seen my mother-in-laws dogs suffer while she tried the cheaper options e.g. antibiotics etc......