Teeth Cleaning

I took my two little Australian silky x Maltese fur babies to the vet today, as one had an ear infection. The vet checked both their teeth and said that they both need them cleaned under anesthetic. At the same time he would drain and clean the infected ear. I was told it would be $250 each for the teeth cleaning, plus $70 for the ear. This was on top of $110 worth of antibiotics, rinse, ointment and recommendations of dental specific dog food i.e. Royal Canin etc.

Is the teeth cleaning a reasonable price and necessary? $700 all up for the vet is unfortunately out of the question for us without getting assistance from the in laws (adopted the dogs from them 8 months ago) Which of course we will do if it comes down to our dogs health, but it seems an awful lot to me. Is there anything I can do that will get their teeth clean, or is it too late now? The vet said that they needed a specific dental food as a preventative after the teeth cleaning, I guess this is what they should have been on all along. Also I guess we should of been cleaning their teeth every week, except we had no idea! We also have them on chicken wings which we were told would help keep their teeth clean, but the vet I saw today told me this wouldn't help. Also I'm concerned about the amounts of saturated fat in the wings as they have both had suspected pancreatitis since coming into our care.

Any advice for a fairly new dog owner? Are we getting over charged or is this just a necessary part of owning small dogs?

Thanks for listening (hope its ok that my dogs aren't pure bred!)

OMG no. I have had only a single dog's teeth done so maybe I'm no price expert but it was an additional $75ish on top of the price I paid for her desexing which was done at the same time. If you're doing the teeth alone then you can expect some anaesthetic costs but $250 is a bit steep in my opinion. (This was only 2 years ago so prices can't have gone up that much.)

Jo

It all depends on how bad the teeth are. We have paid anywhere between $100 and $400 per dog.

The $250 would be reasonable if the teeth are in bad condition requiring some extractions and there is gum disease present, and the price might include pre-anaesthetic blood tests.

If the teeth are merely dirty, but there is no gum disease, get one done at a time and this will be more affordable for you.

Talk to the vet about it. Explain that you would be struggling to pay that amount all at once, and ask if the price does include extractions and blood tests.

I actually burst into tears when he told me the price, and said we couldn't possible afford it :-( I'm such a sook!

This price isn't for extractions or anything just the GA and the cleaning!! I think I might need to shop around a bit more... I will give a few vets and groomers a ring tomorrow. I wonder if anyone in Melbourne can recommend a good vet? I can't get over how much the prices vary...

$200-250 is about what I would expect for a dental that does not include extractions. You would generally find that about $100 is the general anaesthetic, and the remainder is(or at least should be) the charge for a general descale and polish (including checking peridontal pockets, doing a dental chart and removing any very loose teeth) and any associated drugs and / or hospital charges.

If your dogs are cooperative, and you ask nicely, your vet may concede to cracking the worst of the tartar off while the dogs are concious. However, while this may remove the bulk of the visible tartar, it is nigh on impossible to remove the tartar that remains under the gumline while the dog is concious - and this is the part that is important to peridontal health.

If you cannot afford to do both dogs at once, let your vet know and you should be able to prioritise and do the one with the worst teeth first. In the mean time, the dental diets will help prevent further tartar build up and feeding edible bones like chicken necks may go some way to removing some of the tartar that is already present.

how severe is the pancreatitis? If they are not showing adverse reactions to the wings I would continue. Chicken necks are better as there is little skin/fat, turkey is good also.

Are their teeth brown, gunky, have red bits of gum (or any green) and does their breath smell bad? If it does maybe get one dog done at a time.

Try the Lort Smith animal hospital in Nth Melbourne. I know you can arrange payment plans if you absolutely have to (speak to staff first) and they are VERY reasonably priced. I saw John Hillman there, good vet, realistic and doesnt do unneccesary procedures. Make an appointment, but be patient as they are still an animal emergency centre.

$250 is about average for a clean & scale dental procedure. Anywhere up to $400 for teeth removals, depending how long it takes the Vet to extract them. Ask the Vet for a quote, and find out what it covers? If it includes pain releif meds, and antibiotics, then I'd pay that much for it. The Dental food is Hills t/d or Royal Canin s/o I do beleive?

-WithEverythingIAm

That sounds expensive to me. My vet charges:

Dental scale and polish $95.00 Includes:

o The initial consultation with the veterinarian to examine your pet’s dental health. The vet will also show you just how much plaque and germ filled layers are on your pet’s teeth using a plaque disclosing swab.

o The standard anaesthetic administed to your pet prior to surgery.

o The full dental scale and clean using the latest technology in ultrasonic scalers. The teeth are also polished, given an antiseptic flush and a barrier sealant, called “Ora Vet”, applied to reduce plaque and calculus formation.

I'm not sure what to do! Both dogs have yellow brown buildup around the tops of their teeth near the gums, and smelly breath. The other part of their tooth is nice and white. Their back ones are worst. One dog is worst than the other so we can prioritise them. The chicken wings never seemed to do much and a lot of the time they would get sick after them so I stopped giving them a few months ago. I will go and hunt for some chicken necks, I know I've looked for them before and had trouble finding them.

I know this is going to sound like a stupid question... We have gotten into the habit of mixing their dry food with some rice and vegies. I've read a few posts on here now, and grains are basically just filler for dogs and just pass right through? Would the rice and vegies be making their teeth worst in terms of allowing stuff to build up on them? When we first got them they were being fed on dry food mixed with raw meat (not on the bone) but the vet told us that the raw meat wasn't that great for them and wouldn't help their teeth. They're really fussy, and I feel bad just feeding them plain dried food, is there anything else I can give them to supplement their diet? I see some people talking about feeding dogs a natural, well balanced diet they make themselves but what does this involve exactly?

Sorry for all the questions!

Well I've rung around a few vets and its not cheaper, some places are even more expensive :banghead: I rung Lort Smith Animal Hospital but they said that they would only tell me a price once I bought my dogs in for a consultation. How are they possibly helping people save money? I have to pay another $60 on the off chance that it may be cheaper, but chances are they would only be saving me a small amount anyway. Oh and of course I only found this out after waiting on the phone for 15 minutes...

Well our in laws have said they will pay for it all to get done, I guess they feel responsible as they were in their care for the last 5 years. Apparently they have always had bad teeth, and I'm a bit upset that not more was done sooner. The only thing we were told to do was give them chicken wings, but not only has that not helped, but it has made them sick as well.

I can see now after ringing around that $250 is the best price I'm probably going to get in Melbourne. I really just needed to know that we weren't getting overcharged, and that the procedure is necessary. I don't want them to have to lose any teeth or get extractions, so I know its important. I'm also concerned about them going under anesthetic as you can never really guarantee what will happen. I know its necessary as they would never ever withstand having their teeth cleaned while conscious but it still seems extreme :banghead:

I'm off now to find some nice tasty chicken necks!

They will feel a lot better with nice clean teeth. My old boy ony has his 4 fangs (K9's) left and he copes very well. He eats dry food and chopped up chicken necks, anything really except bones - cause he can't chew them. Don't worry they will be fine.

Pretty fair price as far as dentals go here in Melbourne.

If your dogs do need to have teeth out then you should be guided buy the Vet's decisions on the day.

It's not half as traumatic as it is for humans and dead teeth cause many other problems such as systemic infections if they are left in.

Mel.

I was quoted $800 for a Great Dane as the Vet said she needed it.....I didn't do it.....I changed Vets, my girls teeth are fine for an older girl and there was no need to put her under and have an unncessary procedure, putting a GD under isn't the safest thing to do as it is.

My last vets were money hungry bastards, unlike my new vet who gives me discounts on the fosters....something I didn't ask for.

Edited by sas

We paid about $150 for the cleaning of our rottie's teeth ... most of that was for the anaesthetic. I am sure they also charge me danger money for having to get near his mouth ... even when he is under :drink:

:eek::eek: Lovely to see a Rottie owner promoting the placid and gentle temperament of the breed on the www. ;)

Any vet is welcome to look in the mouth of my Rottweilers without anaesthetising them and vets have done so many times without complaint from my dogs.

Don't stress it?!