Obedience Class In Sydney

Hey there :laugh: unfortunately my Pommy Stella missed out on puppy classes because she fell ill with kennel cough and was unable to attend

She's 6 months old now and I'd love her to grow up a good little dog, I was wondering if any DOLers out there are familiar with a basic obedience group course that's run for... older dogs? anywhere in the Sydney area.

Would appreciate any replys, links, et cetera... thanks much in advance guys ;)

At Peakhurst we gat dogs of all ages and yes you can teach the old dog new tricks.

One club closer to the City is in Centennial Park - they train on Sunday mornings.

Never truer words were spoken Myszka. Neither we nor our dogs stop learning, and that's what makes it all fun IMHO. And Centennial Park is sensational. We used to ride through it on bikes a few years back and it was always so serene and a highlight was watching those "mysterious dog people" train and have fun with their pets. Of course being a dog person now its not that mysterious... just a bit! ;)

Cheers,

FD

i missed a signing up of adult dogs, there's another one in a couple of weeks.

things obviously changed there since I have attended, one used to be able to sign up at any time.

Maybe they have some kind of a scheduled couple of week program before they put you in class.

What happends? - you go, sign up, get vetted (well your dog not you :D ) than join a class.

Usually beginner classes are quite large. Class gets shown how to teach the dog certain comands, its up to you how much work you will put in outside of class and how fast your dog will progress.

If you think you are ready to go to higher class there is an assesment held (from memory only every two weeks at that club) you go there pass or fail, if pass you graduate to a higher class where you are tought more complicated excercises.

First class - basic sit, drop, heel, stand, come, short stay. All on lead.

Eastern suburbs is a fairly large club, class 1 will have many people in it, if you want more personalised club, you are welcome to join the one I instruct at, at Peakhurst.

Or go full on, join both :laugh: Im a member of 3, considering doing a 4rth one :laugh:

Peakhurst is in the St George part of Sydney, down the M5 pass Hurstville, aprox 30 minutes from the city.

Costs of training - to join the club is about $25 than $3 per class you attend. Its not compulsory to attend each week, but certainly benenficial if you can.

As the club is run by volounteers we appreciate at times some help with getting the agility equipement out (so that everyone can use it), filling in the water buckets for everyone or putting the chairs out for the observers.

Many people that train for a while with the club see the benefits of getting involved, there is only so much few woman and one man can do for a group of over 50 students. :confused: If we cant get the gear out, noone will be able to have a go at the agility.....

The Leichhardt Dog Training Club meets at Cafe Bones Sunday morning at 10:00.

I've taken my dog there a few times and it was a nice, friendly environment. My husband was happy sitting in the shade with a cup of coffee too!

What is the youngest age for a dog to start agility type training ?

Does the dog has to have C5 vacc or C3 is accepted ?

Can you just come and try the dog for a day before joining the club ?

I don't do a lot of searching, so this might be entirely my ' incompetence' in searching the website. I tried to find the obedience class for all suburbs in dogsnsw website, but can't find the info. Can someone tell me which one to choose, I tried the obedience one, it only shows puppy school and dog dancing class.

Id say that every club would welcome a spectator. I know "my" club does. We often have people sitting and watching us train.

Re vaccinations and age of pupps accepted - check with a specific club you are interested in.

Clubs as per DogsNSw website

http://www.dogsnsw.org.au/regions-metro-training-clubs

(club at Peahurst isnt listed as we are not affiated with Dogs NSW)

Thanks, Myszka !!!

I did contact one of the club close to me, by e-mail, but haven't heard back from them. Maybe I should go to Peakhurst and have a look at your club.

What do you mean by 'get vetted' ? A vet will examine the dog there ? Or just a person looking through the vacc record ?