Does Meat Need To Be Minced?

I buy round steaks from my butcher and when I get home, I cut them up into daily serving size package it individually and freeze it.

We then defrost 1 daily and mince it up to feed the dog.

However sometimes, we forget to defrost in time so it is a bit hard to mince ... is it ok to feed a whole piece of beef to a dog?

Is there any advantages to mincing it up first?

You are feeding bone to your dogs as well as the meat yes? If not, your dogs phosphorus/calcium balance will be out of whack and this could cause bone problems.

Some bones that dogs can (and should) consume:

- chicken wings, necks, frames, drumsticks

- turkey wings, necks

- lamb ribs (also known as flaps), neck

- pork ribs

- beef ribs (larger dogs)

So if mincing is not necessary, I can skip this step (I use behind the neck worming)

Yeah feeding bone as well - pork bones and chicken frame.

On that note, where is a good place to buy quality meats and bone cheap

Just bought a new fridge/freezer so would like to buy the dogs food in bulk.

I live in Croydon, Sydney ... so looking for a wholesaler nearby.

As already said - no need to mince. In fact the larger the piece the better as then they get exercise ripping, tearing and chewing. Great for the teeth, and great physical and mental exercise too.

I dont know Sydney's geography very well, but a good place particularly for buying in bulk is Burns Pet Foods which is at the corner of Windsor and Garfield Roads in Riverstone.

I dont know Sydney's geography very well, but a good place particularly for buying in bulk is Burns Pet Foods which is at the corner of Windsor and Garfield Roads in Riverstone.

Personally I'd never give this place any of my business. :) It used to be the knackery (and probably still is...so NO WAY would I buy anything from them).

Go to any traditional butcher - they've usually got a great range of meaty bones, offal and off-cuts at cheap prices. And they'll help you decide what to buy for your dog/s if you're not sure. Even some supermarkets have a good range of meaty bones and offal, and while you're there, you can pick up the veg and fruit for the dog/s too!

Have you read "The BARF diet" by Billinghurst? Or "Raw Meaty Bones" by Lonsdale? Both are excellent references to begin a raw feeding journey IMO. :mad

Trojan - any chinese butcher in Ashfield will have cheap chicken frames, pork and lamb necks, you need to ask.

I pay $3-5 for a box of 10kg of chicken frames. and $2 for pork bones (called soup bones)

Cool this sounds like the way to go ...

Have you read "The BARF diet" by Billinghurst? Or "Raw Meaty Bones" by Lonsdale? Both are excellent references to begin a raw feeding journey IMO. :mad

No I haven't ... are they books or online articles?

You are feeding bone to your dogs as well as the meat yes? If not, your dogs phosphorus/calcium balance will be out of whack and this could cause bone problems.

Some bones that dogs can (and should) consume:

- chicken wings, necks, frames, drumsticks

- turkey wings, necks

- lamb ribs (also known as flaps), neck

- pork ribs

- beef ribs (larger dogs)

;) Apologies for the slight hijack, but, Molasseslass, what would you recommend for a dog that cannot eat any of the above types of bones? Just curious? Should I be giving supplemental calcium?

Dogs have teeth..

Unless they have bad teeth... there is no problems with giving larger quantities.

Dogs need to chew.

Give frozen bones to the borders and the huskies here, especially in summer. Takes longer to eat and keeps them occupied.

i minced those meats, partially because I'm mixing other meats as well as adding stuffs in...but primarily because of better digestion. I'm a advocate of feeding a larger meal rather than over several small meals hence mincing them aids in digestion and they get to have a fuller feeling than separating it into small little meals.

Yes dogs do need to chew, and because my little dogs are all white bearded, letting them chewing on meat and bones is a disaster for the cleaner.

But I wouldn't let the butcher mince the meat, I usually get lean meat and mince them at home with a home grinder.

As for books, its actually easier and clearer to take a look at the FAQs on the web first and then u proceed to the books for more formal info. But be careful about the facts as most are yanks research and their dogs may have a very different environment and food sources as where your dogs are residing. For eg. salmon is not safe to consume raw in US.

But the problem with mincing is that they are a minefield for pathogens due to the larger surface area that you create.

I have Border Collies, Australian Shepherds and a Papillon all of whom have white faces and feet. I have no issue with them with keeping them clean.

I also have an older BC with no front teeth and badly worn all other teeth she still crunches with the best of them. She enjoys the softer bones of chicken frames. However she will also eat any bone that may even look like coming her way.

Most dogs adapt to eating bones with or without teeth.

Mince is for babies when they are first being weaned after that they should be able to chomp into most edible bones. Its the teeh work out that is the important thing, making the stomach juices work and geting them to chew and rip to give there teeth a good cleaning.

Yap, there is this belief that more surface areas attract lots more bacteria, but dog's immune system are much stronger than humans and their immunity system is build up in this way as well. There are many known human germs that is around our living areas but is not affected by dogs. Nevertheless, I keep myself from worrying too much by putting ACV, garlic, grapefruit seed or oil of oregano which besides killing off germs and bacteria, they have a whole list of benefits to dogs.

My sammies are ok with the mess, even though they are all white. My malteses are the ones that puts me off leisure chews. They will be chewing into their mustache and the last time I give them bone, my eldest girl actually throw a tantrum when she couldn't get rid of the hair together with the chicken drumstick. :) . Initially I thought she was angry with other dogs since she dun bark alot except at the doors but after a few growls I finally realised she was angry with the drumstick! End up I have to hold on to it and let her chew ;). I also thought of tying those loose hair up but that will completely defeat the purposes of letting those white long coat flowing whenever they run around the house which my families enjoy watching.

I do agree that mincing the meat discourages chewing but I make up with lots of chew toys as well as dried tendons for leisure chews to save my furniture. ;) As for the calcium, I used eggshell powder and calculate the ratio nicely so that they still get enough of it.

Meat doesn't have to be minced, mincing only helps with mixing in other additives you may be adding

Good Point Hazz. The way I see it, in nature a dog would eat the intestines of an prey animal and within there you find predigested, mixed up healthy ingredients of all kinds... vegatable matter included... so its a kind of "mince meat". And since our pooches cannot hunt for themselves these days then the least we can do is respect nature to the best of our ability. MMMmmmm I feel hungry already!! ;) ;)

Guest Pandii

I feed huge hunks of raw meet most of the time they are frozen

They dogs love them even the puppies here get a chunk the size of their head once a day and I feed it frozen

They chew, Lick and munch, its a very tresured thing, they often look at their dry food and wonder where is their meat