Putting A 9 1/2 Week Old Puppy On A Long Lead

rooster78

Hi

Our puppy goes to work with my OH (workshop). It has been really hot lately so rather than have him in the cage on the back of the ute, we're thinking of putting him on a lunging lead so he can still wander around but can lay on the cool cement floor. This will be nicer for Bronson and better for the OH who is not getting much work done :thumbsup:

I am just a bit worried that he will hurt himself because he goes bounding around and may get snapped back by the lead...

Any comments?

stick him on the long lead after he is comfortable in the shed and holds his nerve with all the noise etc. I had Erik in a pen for about 10 days at first, I even stuck his pen right next to my loud table saw and was almost sawing over his pen. So he got used to the noise, it is most important to just ignore the dog no matter what your OH is doing when any loud noises occur, don't even look at the dog to see if he is ok. After you are sure he wont get spooked, stick him on the long lead. This way he can learn where to position himself etc etc. If Erik gets himself in a tangle, he just gives me a very quick yap and I untangle him. I can see all the time, but I like him to tell me when he is stuck.

I never tie dogs up, it's too dangerous and doesn't do much for their temperament either. I would confine the dog to a puppy pen when he can't be watched, but as poodlefan says if he has to confined or tethered for much of the day he's better off at home.

Why can't he stay at home?

Because he will have a load more fun at work with his master.

He could stay at home but he would sometimes be at home for 12 hours or more and we figured that since we are in the position to have him with company we should.

He is very good with noise so far - I've tested him with hair dryer, vacumn cleaner and lawn mower and he doesn't even flinch. He has been in the workshop for 5 days now and the noise doesn't bother him.

I tell the OH to just keep in the cage on the back of the ute (the cage is the size of the ute tray so it is a reasonable size, much bigger than a crate but I don't know how big 'puppy pens' are because I've never seen one) and ignore the whining but it is easier for me to say than for him to do. Usually he takes him out for a toilet stop and has a play with him, puts in back in and he sleeps so he could probably stay on the ute. We are just concerned about the heat and that he'd be better off at ground level on the cool cement.

I have a puppy pen that I occasionally take to shows when I have baby puppies, it's about twice the size of a crate and I think I bought it at Pet Network. However I still take them for a walk every hour or so as I don't want to encourage them to soil in confined areas (all my dogs sleep in crates).

I think someone said that you can make one up out of stuff bought at Bunnings??? I'm sure someone will remember :confused:

Edited 'cos PF is right, puppy pens are probably 3/4 times larger than a crate.

Edited by Miranda

I'd say a puppy pen is 3-4 times larger than a crate. You can buy them online from Petnetwork or CCrates or from the retail vans at dog shows.

I'm not saying this pup shouldn't be at work with your OH but if he IS there he needs appropriate containment AND a routine that he can adjust to.

OH needs to pen him when he isn't having a pee or play break. Maybe a pee break every half hour (he's only a baby) and a play every hour now working up to pee/play every 2.5 hours or so ie morning tea, lunch, afternoon tea.

Pups do pee in their pens but these are usually put out on grass for the pups to stay in.

Why can't he stay at home?

Because he will have a load more fun at work with his master.

Yep, it's a heap of fun for a pup to be being crated or tethered all day. :mad

I don't know personally any tradesman's dog that even knows what a crate is, and I don't know any tradesman's dogs that are even tethered once they are over about 6 months of age. ( I am sure they exist, but none that I know of) my 13 week old almost spends the entire day off lead around my shed, if he starts getting distracted , I either put a barricade about 60cm high along the front ( i use a fully extended puppy play pen) or I tether him on 10m line so he can lay out in the sun.

There are other dogs in the same complex and they all just hang out in front of their sheds, occasionally they play together. But for the most part they all just lay out in the sun (Enjoying watching their masters earn money for their food and toys :thumbsup: ). And all are off lead. Imagine a 13 week old staffy pup who is totally happy to sit out in front of 'his' shed with no lead on. That is one hell of an adjusted dog. Occasionally he gets distracted and he then gets the barricade up if I can't keep my eye on him.

ETA: Put him the play pen, and get your OH to take him out every 20 or so minutes and put him on grass (if there is some near by) and get him to do wee's.

Edited by Roo

Roo:

There are other dogs in the same complex and they all just hang out in front of their sheds, occasionally they play together. But for the most part they all just lay out in the sun (Enjoying watching their masters earn money for their food and toys ). And all are off lead. Imagine a 13 week old staffy pup who is totally happy to sit out in front of 'his' shed with no lead on. That is one hell of an adjusted dog. Occasionally he gets distracted and he then gets the barricade up if I can't keep my eye on him.

Sorry to rain on this idyllic scene but the owner of every single one of these dogs is breaking the law. Dogs must either be contained on your premises or onlead unless in a designated offlead area. The same laws apply regardless of the owners occupation I'm afraid.

I'm afraid I have little tolerance for people who think their dogs don't have to be restricted like the rest of ours. This is precisely the kind of disregard that leads to more and more restrictions on dog ownership.

I had my wrist broken some years ago when two tradies dogs jumped off a ute had some biffo with a dog I was walking onlead. I got spilt in the ensuing melee and broke my scaphoid. I'm sure those dogs enjoyed it immensely too.

I also don't enjoy playing dodgems with offlead dogs in my car, no matter how well behaved they are.

Edited by poodlefan

Roo:
There are other dogs in the same complex and they all just hang out in front of their sheds, occasionally they play together. But for the most part they all just lay out in the sun (Enjoying watching their masters earn money for their food and toys ). And all are off lead. Imagine a 13 week old staffy pup who is totally happy to sit out in front of 'his' shed with no lead on. That is one hell of an adjusted dog. Occasionally he gets distracted and he then gets the barricade up if I can't keep my eye on him.

Sorry to rain on this idyllic scene but the owner of every single one of these dogs is breaking the law. Dogs must either be contained on your premises or onlead unless in a designated offlead area. The same laws apply regardless of the owners occupation I'm afraid.

I'm afraid I have little tolerance for people who think their dogs don't have to be restricted like the rest of ours. I had my wrist broken some years ago when two tradies dogs jumped off a ute had some biffo with a dog I was walking onlead. I got spilt in the ensuing melee and broke my scaphoid. I'm sure those dogs enjoyed it immensely too.

I also don't enjoy playing dodgems with offlead dogs in my car, no matter how well behaved they are.

And it is also illegal to having a building site that is not fully fenced and enclosed. On commerical sites the dogs stay at home, on residential site they go to work. Also my shed which my friend owns the entire complex has a secure fence and gate. So sorry nothing illegal going on with my dog.

ETA: Sorry to hear about your wrist, one bad apple does not spoil the whole bag. While there are knobs in everything we do, most people I believe do the right thing. The tradesman I know wouldn't dare have their dogs unrestrained in their utes. More for the dogs wellbeing than for any other reason.

Edited by Roo

Roo:

And it is also illegal to having a building site that is not fully fenced and enclosed. On commerical sites the dogs stay at home, on residential site they go to work. Also my shed which my friend owns the entire complex has a secure fence and gate. So sorry nothing illegal going on with my dog.

Glad to hear it Roo. I'd like to say that was the case around here. :thumbsup: