Walking Dominance

Rhi

Our 9mth old boy is happy walking on his lead with us. Every now and then he puts the lead in his mouth and trys to pulls a bit harder, I ignore the behaviour and walk at the same pace or give him the heel command. Is this a game or a sign he wants to be more dominate?

xx Rhi :love:

Hi Rhi,

Try a "gentle leader". Our Jnr school trainer recommended it. It is fantastic. Took Jedda a few days to get used to it, but it is great.

I'm not sure what a gentle leader, as we haven't had him since a pup. But for the past two weeks I've been training him to walk on a head harness. It works a treat, he's a much calmer walker but he still trys to pick up the lead and walk with it in his mouth. If it's a game I'm happy to let him go but if it's a dominance thing I'd like to train it out of him.

Cheers

Unlikely to be dominance but likely to be either 'fun' or frustration at the headcollar. Have you desensitised him to the headcollar before walking him on it? I wouldn't allow it even if it is a game as it doesn't take much for the dog to chew through their lead and can make the dog harder to handle.

Hi Rhi,

Try a "gentle leader". Our Jnr school trainer recommended it. It is fantastic. Took Jedda a few days to get used to it, but it is great.

I would hesitate to recommend any aversive head collar for what simply be play behaviour that is not related to a constant pulling issue. I don't recommend headcollars period actually.

he internet is not the place to be getting help for this one.

Go to a decent dog trainer or school and have the issue looked. :love:

Edited by poodlefan

what the heck does a head collar have to do with chewing the lead Kylie?!? Jeezus the pup is just showing some excitement and enthusiasm.

Grab some chilli sauce or bitter spray and rub it on the bottom half of the lead. Ignore the biting behaviour, you are doing the right thing. Just hold your ground, or stop completely and stare at the sky until the pup settles down.