Agility Foundation

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was told that you shouldn't start proper weaving until the dog is at least 12 months - the weaving action is tough on them. With Kaos who is 11 months I have only run him through open channel weaves.

was browsing/link-surfing after watching your vids, and found this one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYPslwcRy9M...ted&search=

this baby puppy only looks about 10 weeks old .. how on earth would they have it weaving so well at such a young age (and should they even be doing that?)

Maybe it was an imprinting period? There was a lot of talk of this a few years ago, where people were teaching very young pups the basics of agility & then leaving them for 12 months. It was a fairly common thing, although I haven't heard anyone talk about it for a while...then again, maybe I'm just hoping for the best :rofl: & thinking positive thoughts for this little pup, because it is definitely too young to start weaving regularly.

It is possible to get a dog/pup weaving 12 poles to this level in a few days with 5-6 short sessions a day. Trim did her first full accurate set on day 3 at about this speed...although she was a lot older. There is a lot more to weaving than doing 12 poles: the entries, angles, lateral distance & speed can take a lot longer to get correct.

I may video each of Shine's sessions when we start...it could be kind of fun & interesting to work out exactly how long it takes her to get to each stage.

Edited by Vickie

I was always told not until at least 12 months old due to the pressure on the dogs back when weaving... watching that video though the pup is small enough to get away with not bending its spine like a bigger/older dog would need to.

That said I still wouldn't be doing it with a pup that young :rofl: I hope that now they've taught it to weave that they leave it alone until its old enough to be weaving properly :rofl:

:rofl:

I take it back, I just watched his other clips where he is running full courses with it at about 8 weeks. The guy is a dickhead. I feel sorry for that puppy :rofl: ...and when you watch him run his other dog he is a crappy handler anyway.

So much for me trying to think on the bright side :rofl: .

I thought so ... poor baby :rofl:

I'd love to see as many training sessions as you'd want to share, and all the steps ...

I'm a visual learner, and have trouble converting whats written, into mental pictures of what's being explained ... if i had vids AND words i'm sure i'd learn a lot faster ... :rofl:

I have an Aussie Shep girl (midge), who turns one on monday. She's currently doing pretty well at obed. training, but we havn't competed as yet .. i'm a complete novice, and my lack of knowledge is her #1 problem.

I'd LOVE to do agility with her too, and would hate to start her off wrong, and as a result i've failed to start anything at all ...

I thought so ... poor baby :rofl:

I'd love to see as many training sessions as you'd want to share, and all the steps ...

I'm a visual learner, and have trouble converting whats written, into mental pictures of what's being explained ... if i had vids AND words i'm sure i'd learn a lot faster ... :rofl:

I have an Aussie Shep girl (midge), who turns one on monday. She's currently doing pretty well at obed. training, but we havn't competed as yet .. i'm a complete novice, and my lack of knowledge is her #1 problem.

I'd LOVE to do agility with her too, and would hate to start her off wrong, and as a result i've failed to start anything at all ...

Hi Vickie

Just came back from Duke's first agility foundation training. It was very light with small and minimal jumping as he's only 11 mths but Oh and him were doing excellent. You were right, the handler and the dog have to have a connection and they do. Duke was watching him all night and towards the end OH had him off lead and Duke went better. OH did your exercise before we started ( with poles ) and Duke did well with him but I think OH was getting a bit confused :rofl:

We are also visual learners and any videos that you put up would be excellent and appreciated :rofl:

Just came back from Duke's first agility foundation training. It was very light with small and minimal jumping as he's only 11 mths but Oh and him were doing excellent. You were right, the handler and the dog have to have a connection and they do. Duke was watching him all night and towards the end OH had him off lead and Duke went better. OH did your exercise before we started ( with poles ) and Duke did well with him but I think OH was getting a bit confused :rofl:

We are also visual learners and any videos that you put up would be excellent and appreciated :D

COOL! :laugh: I'm glad they both enjoyed it.

Are you still coming on Sunday? If so, you can tell me all about it, I always have poles in the back of my car, so we could even do a bit while we're there... :o and... :o I think I will have to have a chat to your OH about your new dog :) He can't have all the fun!

One thing I have been doing with Chloe is sitting her down then holding a soft ball in front of her. I say stay and walk away backwards then in my girliest voice (I have been told I need to work on my Minnie Mouse voice...) I say are you ready then I gently lob the ball toward her and she catches it on the full most of the time. She then runs to me with the ball and we have a bit of a fun tug of war with it. Then we repeat. I have been increasing the distance and length of time with this and I have found that it is a really positive way to teach the "stay".

Now I have moved on with this so I sit her, then say stay, I walk away I say are you ready. Then I say OK and run toward a pole she runs around the pole and gets her ball. And a hell of allot of Minnie Mouse dad praise

What are your thoughts Gurus? :laugh:

will try and capture this on film for you all

Just came back from Duke's first agility foundation training. It was very light with small and minimal jumping as he's only 11 mths but Oh and him were doing excellent. You were right, the handler and the dog have to have a connection and they do. Duke was watching him all night and towards the end OH had him off lead and Duke went better. OH did your exercise before we started ( with poles ) and Duke did well with him but I think OH was getting a bit confused :(

We are also visual learners and any videos that you put up would be excellent and appreciated :cry:

COOL! :cry: I'm glad they both enjoyed it.

Are you still coming on Sunday? If so, you can tell me all about it, I always have poles in the back of my car, so we could even do a bit while we're there... :bottom: and... :rofl: I think I will have to have a chat to your OH about your new dog :rofl: He can't have all the fun!

Hi Vickie

Will PM you.

:(

I take it back, I just watched his other clips where he is running full courses with it at about 8 weeks. The guy is a dickhead. I feel sorry for that puppy :cry: ...and when you watch him run his other dog he is a crappy handler anyway.

So much for me trying to think on the bright side :cry: .

Yep, if you want to see what not to do and how to confuse your dog in one easy lesson, watch this guy.. :bottom:

One thing I have been doing with Chloe is sitting her down then holding a soft ball in front of her. I say stay and walk away backwards then in my girliest voice (I have been told I need to work on my Minnie Mouse voice...) I say are you ready then I gently lob the ball toward her and she catches it on the full most of the time. She then runs to me with the ball and we have a bit of a fun tug of war with it. Then we repeat. I have been increasing the distance and length of time with this and I have found that it is a really positive way to teach the "stay".

Now I have moved on with this so I sit her, then say stay, I walk away I say are you ready. Then I say OK and run toward a pole she runs around the pole and gets her ball. And a hell of allot of Minnie Mouse dad praise

Sounds good, especially the going around the pole bit, whatever works is good.

Yes please to video! We'd love to see it.

I have been working through this DVD with Tia

Product #: GamesToEnhanceTrainingDVD

Playing structured games lets you and your dog have fun while establishing fundamental skills such as control, patience, and learning. The 16 games included on this DVD are for dogs of all ages, no experience necessary. These are great games for those who want their dog's education to be fun and want to enhance the learning and performance of dog sports such as obedience, agility, flyball, and tracking. 1 hour, 22 minutes long, DVD only, NTSC format. © 2006

Game 1: Tug

Interact with your dog with a toy. Eventually this interaction is a reward for your dog.

Game 2: Give

Teaches your dog to release the toy.

Game 3: Trading

Gets your dog to switch from one toy to another

Game 4: Turn

Helps your dog learn to turn both left and right.

Game 5: Over/Under

Teaches your dog to duck under and to go over.

Game 6: "Ketch" Me

Teaches your dog to run up to your side on the left and right

Game 7: Mistake Game

This desensitizes your dog to words that you say when you make a mistake.

Game 8: Tag 'Em

Get your dog's attention

Game 9: Toy to Food/Food to Toy

Allows you to switch between food and toy rewards during training

Game 10: Fetch

Teaches your dog to retrieve a tossed item.

Game 11: Send

Teaches your dog to retrieve a placed item.

Game 12: Race

Builds ground speed and helps your dog get used to you moving with him in a straight line.

Game 13: Drive In

Teaches your dog to come quickly into you.

Game 14: Look Back

Allows you to reward stays from behind the dog.

Game 15: Transition

Gets your dog's focus on you, then off you and teaches body awareness for handlers.

Game 16: Directionals

Teaches your dog Left and Right directionals.

We are up to Game 5.

Yep it is step by step, the first game tug is the longest part of the video. She also mentions different methods for different type of dogs such as hard mouthed, soft mouthed. She starts off with the beggining method then goes onto the advanced method. Yesterday I taught Tia to switch between different toys, and introduced the word.

This site here has some very interesting articles about Agility Being Good for Dogs, read part 1 & 2, and let me know what you think.\

http://www.silvia.trkman.net/ also scroll down to the videos, has great running contacts, also check out the tricks, even a border riding a skateboard.

This site here has some very interesting articles about Agility Being Good for Dogs, read part 1 & 2, and let me know what you think.\

http://www.silvia.trkman.net/ also scroll down to the videos, has great running contacts, also check out the tricks, even a border riding a skateboard.

I'm pretty sure she is coming to Australia this year, should be awesome!

I have to share this funny thing from yesterday, since it is foundation related.

I was showing Border14 & OH how I teach a rear & front cross. First Trim & I demonstrated a rear cross just on the ground, on a verbal & then purely on body language. All was good. :laugh:

then...I tried to show the same thing with a front cross. LOL, problem was that my verbal command for a rear cross is "cross", so as I was trying to demonstrate a front cross...everytime I said the word "cross" as part of "front cross"...she did a rear :rofl: .

She is such a funny girl, she did it not once, not twice but many times, LOL. I am still laughing about it remembering it now. I am sure I have confused the hell out of B14 & OH :) . Honestly I felt like we should have been one of those old fashioned acts at a circus, with me dressed as a clown.

Moral of the story...is not to change words...it is to appreciate your beautiful dogs & maintain the ability to laugh above all else.

Edited by Vickie