New Here, Just Some Q's

littlered07

Hi I'm new to this forum and am getting my puppy in 7 weeks! Yes he/she is only 1 week old now, a red & white border collie pup. I don't find out which pup of the litter is mine until they are 7 weeks so I don't have a name chosen as of yet. Anyway, I also have an 8 year old male kelpie (neutered) and he's great! I really want to do obedience and agility some time in the future with this new pup.

I just have a few questions, I'm really sorry if this is annoying to everyone. First, what size crate should I buy? I was thinking the 36" but then someone said the 42" would be a better size (more roomy) for an adult bc so now I'm really confused and would hate to buy a crate only to find out that it is going to be too small. Second, does anyone know approximately how much it would cost to fly the pup from SE QLD to Townsville? I can't seem to get an accurate estimate from anyone and am still waiting (over a week now) for AAE to return my call with a quote. I just want to be prepared early for the cost of it. I'm just so excited! I've already bought a toy for the new puppy and am eyeing off some cool looking collars at work right now (i'm a vet nurse). Hopefully I'll have some pics of the pup soon!

Hi Littlered07

Congratulations, you must be very excited about your new puppy.

Have you tried Jet Pets for a quote to fly the pup. I used them last year and found they were good.

I would go for the crate that will fit an adult border and block off part of it while the pup is young, so he/she feels more secure. I love my crates and wouldn't be without them now :laugh:

Hey, congrats on your new puppy :champagne: I can't wait to see some pics. I love the look of red and white BC's, they're so striking!

We have a 36 inch crate for our Puli pup which should be just the right size for him when he's fully grown. I personally would get a 42 inch crate for a BC. It will be quite roomy but I think it will be more comfortable than a 36" one. I would really suggest you find a way to block off some of the crate (because it will initially be very large) so that he won't go to the toilet in the crate.

Our breeder went through Dogtainers for shipping our pup apparently they have the best prices around. :cheers:

-Elise

Hi. I posted about crates, too.

http://forums.dogzonline.com.au/index.php?showtopic=93474

http://forums.dogzonline.com.au/index.php?...st&id=73986

http://forums.dogzonline.com.au/index.php?...st&id=73988

The crate I have came with a partition to close off part the crate. 42" is very large and 36" was suggested by someone with labradors. A BC is smaller than the average standard poodle and I'd suggest a 36" would be big enough. Depends how big your room is :dropjaw: .

I've flown WITH my dog b4 and it was <$100 from Sydney-Brisbane return. I think it's a fair bit more if it's dog only.

Edited by Poodle wrangler

I have an average sized BC girl and she has a 36" Vari-crate. Its perfectly sized. When I went to buy a crate I asked around the BC breeders and friends on what size crate I needed and that was the recommendation.

Hi littlered07

COngratualtions on your new puppy :dropjaw: I know you must be very excited but dont worry the 7 weeks will fly past so quick. :eek:

ANd of course when he/she arrives we would all love you to post some photos becasue DOLers love puppy photos dont we guys :):rofl:

I have PMed re crates

CHeers

I really want to do obedience and agility some time in the future with this new pup.

does anyone know approximately how much it would cost to fly the pup from SE QLD to Townsville? I can't seem to get an accurate estimate

Congratulations on your new puppy.

We have a 36" crate which is ok for our small girl but most of our guys are more comfortable in the larger ones.

We used Jet Pet, Dogtainers, Ozpets, Qantas and we have found that if you ring around and get quotes and let them know if someone will do it cheaper they will often drop their price too.

We just had a BC pup (also red) come up from Brisbane to Mackay his flight cost me $140.00

the same company first quoted $185.00

http://www.dogs4sale.com.au/Freight_Transport.htm

Look forward to seeing you down the track at Townsville obedience Club.

We come up for there trials.