New Puppy Arriving Saturday!

Mil

Hi I'm really excited because after waiting and researching and waiting for so long, we have a gorgeous 10 week old bichon puppy arriving on Saturday. :confused: I'm just hoping for some help about when he first arrives.

He is flying so we don't know how he will be when we get him and don't want to scare him after such a long flight. Will he be scared of these two new people? or just happy to get out of the crate and go home with us? Also I thought that maybe we should take him straight to a patch of grass to go to the toilet after his flight, but then remembered that he isn't fully vaccinated yet, so we shouldn't put him down. Should we just try and drive him home quickly? Any suggestions?

Also I wondered if he might be messy from being in a crate so long. If he is, would it freak him out too much if we gave him a bath on his first day? We really want him to be happy and unfrightened and settle in the best he can.

Thank you so much for any help and advice, we desperately want to do the right thing for him on his first day.

Mil

Hi Mil, congratulations on your puppy. Is your pup being sent with any towels or sheets in the crate? When we got our pup out of the crate he had wet it (after 4 hours in a crate I'm not surprised) When we got home I put the soiled sheet in the dryer and then put it in his bed. That way way he still had all the familiar smells around him. He will be a bit shell shocked anyway

I have been fortunate enough to go meet my puppies first before they are flown so I have an advantage there but I suggest just talk friendly and calmly and the puppy will come out to you. We took our pup for a short walk in a grassy carpark area at the airport so he could stretch his legs and maybe relieve himself. Just be careful and make sure there are no faeces and don't let him pick anything up. Hobart airport is pretty quiet :D Or if you don't live too far away from the airport, take him straight home and just leave the door of the crate open. He will come out when ready.

I probably wouldn't bath him straight away. Let him settle first. If he has a dirty coat just wipe it with a damp towel.

Generally pups fly very well .I would most certainly take a wet flannel & towel just incase an accidient has aoccured.If the pup has messed itself & is dirty then most defiantely wash it.

For me i would just drive home but if you feel the need to walk aften at the airport there are areas more away from frieght(where the dogs walk) to take it,remember it most likely wont be lead trained .

Dont go over the top when you pick the pup up be very calm & react quietly but with confidience & when you get pup home do the same.Take pup outside & walk around calmly & again with confidience in your voice tone the pup will be looking for the people to trust & the quicker they trust the quicker they ajust & settle over do it & the up can retreat.So many people drag pup out the crate & go over the top & it is just all too much for the pup .If its a little fazed it will bounce back quickly but your reactions can most certainly make it more stressful

Kaos was flown from Melbourne and we had no problems :) He was happy to see us when he got out of the crate, I took him for a toilet walk before the ride home (from memory he didn't go), and was certainly curious in the car ride home :D I brought a collar and lead with me to the airport as I knew he would be naked.