Why Is My Puppy Suddenly Sad

Reddii

It had to come....after night 1 in his new home CK the perfect dog had been a delight up until the last two nights.

He is now 18 weeks old and has been with us for about 6 weeks. Both CK and our little girl Xena (10.5 months & both BC's) have been sleeping in their crates (inside for the last 3 weeks) pretty much since he arrived and I got sick of telling them to stop barking at possums. Every couple of nights he has yapped early in the morning when he needed to go outside for a pit stop, which is fine at his age I guess.

Two nights ago though he had a yap and I got up and let the two of them out for a few minutes. CK had a big drink, then did a pee so I brought them back inside and they went back to bed - both know the command and happily go to their crates, they even come to the back door when it is bed time (they go outside after we come home from our evening walk for 20 mins before they go to bed.)

This was when the trouble started - he began to yap and cry after he went back to his crate I left him for about 5 mins and then went to see what was wrong - no more noise - then after another couple of minutes he began to whimper, but stopped it shortly after. When I got up in the morning he had peed in his crate - It was dry when I got up to him, I know this because it is the first thing I check.

Last night we had 2 repeat performances of the above - less the pee in the crate.

When do I begin to consider this a problem (2 nights, 3 nights........??????) or have I just been spoiled and have to let it run its course?

If it is a problem what can I do about it?

Thanks in advance.

Tony

HI Tony,

I'll take a guess. 18 weeks old, i would say hormones and teething kicking in.

Sore gums, teeth and a general unwell feeling all over.

It makes them do weird and wonderful things.

Has anything else been changed in the house?

Diet, routine etc?

HI Tony,

I'll take a guess. 18 weeks old, i would say hormones and teething kicking in.

Sore gums, teeth and a general unwell feeling all over.

It makes them do weird and wonderful things.

Has anything else been changed in the house?

Diet, routine etc?

We did go away for the weekend just gone and they spent a lot of time in their crates at the 'dog friendly' accomodation, but without a problem

Hormones and teething could be the problem - I hope. Diet has changed a litle as well, but it's always fairly varied. Perhaps a change back and then see.

Cheers.

Tony

You let him out of the crate the first time he yaped, to go to the toilet.

He yaped again, and after feeding him water, left him in there

maybe he was trying to tell you he needed out?

mmmmm......maybe, but i'm not sure. He went out side, had a drink, went to the toilet, then back inside. Maybe too much detail, but it was a LOOOOOOOONG pee as well.

Will keep a bleary eye on it and see how it all goes.

Cheers.

T

Not sure where you live but the nights have been getting colder

Maybe he is cold

nah....we live in Brissy, Tuesday night was a bit cool, but last night was pretty mild again. They are sleeping inside and we are still sleeping with only a sheet and the windows open.

Last night was better, but not perfect.

he yapped at 11:30pm, as agreed OH got up, went out to the crate, put the lead on him (no eye contact, no voice), took him outside where he sat on the grass/toilet for 15min (still ignored and on lead), no toilet, no drink, was taken back inside, let off the lead and he ran straight beck in to his crate, not another sound until morning - go figure.

Malina thinks he got the message that it was not time for a pat or play and was disappointed that they both didn't get outside. We'll have to wait and see what happens tonight.......

Always have a thermometer handy! If you think a puppy is off colour, take its temperature. Record details of your dogs' temperatures, heart rates, pulse rates, gum colour & respiratory rate when they are normal so that you have an indication when things are not right :thumbsup:

Well it seems that he was just fretting a little. I've been feeding him in the crate and treating lots at bed time so that when he gets in there are some great treats and a few ice cubes for him to munch on. Basically gone back to how we crate trained out other little one - also been more careful with the Toilet Time before bed.

Not a peep for the last two nights and he now RUNS to the crate when he comes in for bed.

All seems to be OK fingers crossed.

Tony