Agility Contacts

whatevah

Why? I don't get it. Why would you praise the dog for all 4 on the floor in a time trial?

It's not teaching the dog to make contact but stop after the piece of equipment has been completed?

It's kind of got the same concept as 2o2o. It's just another way to get the dog past the contact zone. I personally wouldn't do it though, as my dog would probably find that jumping off before the yellow zone, and landing in a drop like position is faster. You have no definate way of knowing that your dog will stop, its easier to just have running contacts.

IMHO

I wouldn't do it either. The dog in the clip has obviously been taught using a nose touch. I think it's dangerous & I have seen somersaults as a result & heard of back injuries...why would you want your dog shifting weight forward when they should be shifting weight back?

Everything I have ever heard about 4 on the floor is that it often disintegrates rapidly as there is not a precise position for the dog. They start at the bottom of the obstacle, then one metre away & then 2 etc.

I'm sure you could train this properly to make it exact, but I still think it's a dangerous behaviour, especially if you are asking for speed.

Edited by Vickie

Everything I have ever heard about 4 on the floor is that it often disintegrates rapidly as there is not a precise position for the dog. They start at the bottom of the obstacle, then one metre away & then 2 etc.

You can see this in the clip.

• 4 weeks later...