Eating Everything Outside

Mil

Hi we have had out 10 week old bichon puppy for 4 days and he is gorgeous. :laugh: Except he is thoroughly frustrating us because we take him outside for a run around and a game and all he does is eat everything in sight. So we spend the whole time digging various nuts, bark etc out of his mouth which he hates obviously (we're not too keen on it either). Today he is actually grabbing something, putting his ears back and running from me and eating it. I'm really worried that it is going to make him sick because for every 5 or so things we get out there's one that he swallows before I can get it.

We just want to be able to go outside and have fun and also not watch him every second, and especially for him to be able to go outside by himself sometimes. Do you have any ways of stopping him? Will he get sick? Is it because it is a new garden? Is it just something that he has to grow out of (preferably very quickly)? Sorry that's a lot of questions any advice would be great. Thanks.

Sounds like he has taught mum a fun new game of chase. :D

I would try a raking the garden of what you can get rid of.

Put plenty of toys out that you would like him to chew on around the yard.

Instead of playing chase try to distract him with a squeaky toy or a ball.

Make the things you want him to do or have be more fun than the thing you don't want him to have.

Hope this helps

Sound like your little one has turned the whole thing into a game.

"I grab something then mum and dad chase me around to get it back off me".

This is a favourite game puppies will play, but becomes a bad habit really quickly, and can result in a dog that steals everthing, just for a game.

Whatever you do, DONT CHASE HER.

You need to get her to come to you. You may need food, a very favorite toy (perhaps with squeakers etc). Anything that she will value more than the thing she has. Get her to came to you, take the item off her with NO FUSS. Get her to sit or whatever trick she knows. Wait a moment then give her the food or a quick game with the toy.

Then do your best to limit her access to anything that may be harmful if swallowed until she learns that this is not a worthwhile game.

Thank you so much for your quick replies.

I am not a fan of this new game that he has invented :love:

We have tried giving him other toys instead, but the toys that he loves inside hold absolutely no interest when he is outside and he just gives me a look of "really? that's what you're offering?".

I understand that you say to not chase but he tends to not come when I call if he has something in his mouth, well not until he has already eaten it anyway. I'm worried about all the things that he could be eating if I don't catch him in time. Will he get sick? :love:

Ah yes raking the garden. We have only just moved in and we had no idea about all the things hidden under the leaves etc. And he wants to eat everything! Once he just had a clod of dirt! We can't get rid of it all. It's a big daunting task, I think we are going to spend our whole Easter raking. :D

I just read the post. Thank you Roo. Wow it both inspired and terrified me. I've never had a dog before, and it's all very overwhelming. I just don't know where to start with the training, and like it said, I'm really worried that everything we've done in the last few days might be training him in ways that we don't want. Reading about it and doing it are completely different! I so badly want to do a good job...

I just read the post. Thank you Roo. Wow it both inspired and terrified me. I've never had a dog before, and it's all very overwhelming. I just don't know where to start with the training, and like it said, I'm really worried that everything we've done in the last few days might be training him in ways that we don't want. Reading about it and doing it are completely different! I so badly want to do a good job...

This is where puppy school comes into its own. A good puppy school will teach you how to help your puppy through normal pup behaviours and tackle the more common training issues.

Learning about training, and maintaining physical control over your pup until he is trained to be more reliable in his behaviours, are the two most important things you can do to help your pup through his babyhood, into adolescence and into maturity.

I'd suggest keeping him on-lead when outside; playing with him somewhere other than the yard (if you have a large family room or similar, that's a good alternative); and teaching him the basics now. That's sit, come, wait and leave it. Four basic commands that are easy to teach and may save your pup's life. :D

little Josie is doing this same thing,just picking up evrything she finds,just like a crawling baby that gums everything in site.She is so proud when she finds a big stick and actually brings it to me.lol

Cheeky girl.Can't wait for puppy school as it has been years since I had a puppy and there is so much to remember.

Mil, I have a Bichon too, now 7 months old. I remembered those old times when she ate something from the garden and worried me, but fortunately, it was ok, except a few occasions where she vommitted and having diahorrea. Whenever I saw her having something in her mouth, I will give her a kibble and then she will split out the things in her mouth.

Here is the toxic plant listing

http://www.sniksnak.com/plants-toxic.html

Have your Bichon start digging holes yet? Mine start the digging project when she was 10 - 12 weeks.

oh yeah...he started digging a few days ago :rofl:

He started off digging with his face :rofl: but he is now much more efficient with his front paws :rofl:

He seems to like sitting in his dug up area too, and chewing on everything he digs up.

So does the digging and eating everything lessen?

oh yeah...he started digging a few days ago :D

He started off digging with his face :D but he is now much more efficient with his front paws :rofl:

He seems to like sitting in his dug up area too, and chewing on everything he digs up.

So does the digging and eating everything lessen?

Yes, if you begin with the right training. Re-direct him to dig where you want him to dig, by giving him a sandpit and putting lots of interesting toys and food treats in it. How many activity toys has he got every day? How often do you rotate them? And how many training sessions are you doing every day? How many walks does he get each week and do you take him to the same place or do you vary it sometimes?

All the above will help. Doing nothing will harm the dog and your relationship as he's looking to you for guidance and the right things to keep him occupied. If he's not getting that, as you've seen he WILL make his own fun and that could hurt him. :)