Website For Dog Plant Allergies

Jia Nugget

Hi all,

Sorry to post twice but didnt have much of a responce last time..

I am looking for a Website that offers free advise on Plants/Grass/Shrubs etc that can cause allergies in animals

Preferably one with a picture of the plant, the climate it grows in and a description..

If anyone has come accross something like this please help me...

We have just purchased a new home and as she has allergies we would like to atleast try and eliminate the bad plants

Cheers......... Chop Chop!

post-11173-1177206297_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jia Nugget

Hi all,

Sorry to post twice but didnt have much of a responce last time..

I am looking for a Website that offers free advise on Plants/Grass/Shrubs etc that can cause allergies in animals

Preferably one with a picture of the plant, the climate it grows in and a description..

If anyone has come accross something like this please help me...

We have just purchased a new home and as she has allergies we would like to atleast try and eliminate the bad plants

Cheers......... Chop Chop!

Hi, I don't have that site for you sorry, but years ago worked at the Herbarium for the Qld Dept of Environment and they often offered advice on poisonous plants and probably would have offered advice on high risk allergy plants as well. If you could find your State government department for Environment (sometimes called Natural Resources) and call them, they would be able to put you onto one of their botany departments and I am sure they will recommend a good website (they may even have one) or a publication that lists the plants and photos. I'm guessing the info may be different for different states. Now you have me thinking and I am going to try to track something down so that I can remove any poisonous plants before I get our next puppy. Will let you know if I find anything.

These were from google

http://www.aspca.org/site/PageServer?pagen...pcc_toxicplants

http://www.ansci.cornell.edu/plants/dogs/index.html

http://www.ttlntl.co.uk/2/Health/poisonplants.htm

Your local library will probably have books on the subject and they are more likely to have photos.

Hi, I found this list of publications you could try to hunt down:

Covacevich J., Davie, P. and Pearn, J. (editors), 1987, Toxic Plants and Animals: A Guide for Australia, Queensland Museum, Brisbane.

Dowling, R.M. and McKenzie, R.A., 1993, Poisonous Plants: A Field Guide, Queensland Department of Primary Industries, Brisbane. I am going to try and hunt this one down, because the field guides have phots as well as details.

Everist, S.L., 1978, Botanical affinities of Australian poisonous plants. In "Effects of Poisonous Plants on Livestock", edited by R.F. Keeler, K.R.van Kampen and L.F. James, Academic Press, New York, pp.93-100.

Everist S.L., 1981, Poisonous Plants of Australia, Revised edition, Angus and Robertson, Sydney.

McBarron, E.J., 1983, Poisonous Plants: Handbook for Farmers and Graziers. Inkata Press, Melbourne.

McCaughey, H., 1980, Is it Poisonous? Poisoning Prevention and First Aid. A Lifesaving Manual, Angus and Robertson, Sydney.

I was warned by my vet that Cycads are extremely poisonous causing liver failure in dogs, and seem to tempt them as well. Cycades are a spikey fern x palm looking plant, they are feature in a lot of pictures with dinosaurs.

Will let you know if I find a supplier of this publication - I was surprised that the gov sites did not seem to have a listing online.

Cheers

Is Moses in a boat plant the same as Moses in a cradle? ie Tradescantia spathacea ?

If so are all dogs allergic to it? We have a heap of it in the garden at the moment and my one yr old Rotty has itchy paws that are getting little sores on them? and I am wandering if I have stumbled across the culprit?

Cheers Al

Is Moses in a boat plant the same as Moses in a cradle? ie Tradescantia spathacea ?

If so are all dogs allergic to it? We have a heap of it in the garden at the moment and my one yr old Rotty has itchy paws that are getting little sores on them? and I am wandering if I have stumbled across the culprit?

Cheers Al

It can cause skin irritations in people so probably dogs as well

See

http://www.floridata.com/ref/T/trad_spa.cfm