Night Time

FGM

As some of you know I have a new puppy.Josie is 9 weeks old now and a maltesexshih tzu.At night I have been waking up

taking her to the toilet,she then has a little play then back to bed.I would like your opinions wether or not this is the right thing to do or should I take her to the toilet and then put her straight back to bed.I am not worried about getting up at all but don't want to get her into a routine of doing it for the rest of her life,I

thought as she got older she would sleep longer and be able to hold her wee lolnger aswell.

Do you think I should be trying to put her into some type of routine for night time?

Any help or ideas are apreciated.

Thanks

IMG_0026.jpg

Edited by FGM

During the night, (from the time YOU go to bed and the time YOU get up) you should only take the pup outside to toilet and then straight back in. No conversation, no nothing. Just use your toilet command (mine is "do wees") once she has wee'd then priase her, but no playing. Then walk her straight back in the crate and say 'good girl' and close crate and go back to bed. (if you have trouble controlling her and her desire to play, put her on a lead)

In the morning, if she wakes first, take her out again and repeat above, but put her back in the crate, untill YOU get up. This will establish a bullet proof routine. Keep everything consistant and you will have no ongoing problems.

Do not be tempted to relax this if she gets up at say 5am and you get up at 6am. Make sure she is not allowed out of her crate until you want to get up. You are the leader and you lay down the rules. This is just my view, (some people , don't worry if the dog wakes up and hour or so before them and put them outside to play. totally up to you)

Good luck.

Roo

This is what I thought I should be doing,but it is so hard.Will try from tonight onwards.Last night she woke at 3am and I took her outside she did a wee and then I put her back in the bathroom where she sleeps.

I think I need to be stronger,thanks for the advice guys,its good to hear it from other people.Guess I will be getting more sleep now.lol

This is what I thought I should be doing,but it is so hard.Will try from tonight onwards.Last night she woke at 3am and I took her outside she did a wee and then I put her back in the bathroom where she sleeps.

I think I need to be stronger,thanks for the advice guys,its good to hear it from other people.Guess I will be getting more sleep now.lol

Keep in mind, being firm does not mean being unfair.

I would also get a wire crate if you can afford one. Best thing I ever did.

Cheers

Roo

ok,so I warned everybody about the crying that might occur to try and Josie to sleep through.Well you wouldn't believe it she has slept through for three nights in a row,no crying at all and one wee onher training pad.What a cutie pie.She has been getting up at about 5:30 and I don't mind as it gives me some quiet time before the rest of the house gets up.I have been making sure she plays before bed and then we go outside for toilet were she does a wee and a poo.Whata good little puppy.Still bracing myself for a night of crying though,might be a delayed reaction coming.lol

Thanks for all your help guys,hoping to get a crate next week aswell.

ok,so I warned everybody about the crying that might occur to try and Josie to sleep through.Well you wouldn't believe it she has slept through for three nights in a row,no crying at all and one wee onher training pad.What a cutie pie.She has been getting up at about 5:30 and I don't mind as it gives me some quiet time before the rest of the house gets up.I have been making sure she plays before bed and then we go outside for toilet were she does a wee and a poo.Whata good little puppy.Still bracing myself for a night of crying though,might be a delayed reaction coming.lol

Thanks for all your help guys,hoping to get a crate next week aswell.

Great news. Well done. Erik is the first dog I have use a crate with, and to be honest I just don't know why I didn't use one previously. A great investment.