Winter Is Setting In

Collie_lover

I will be getting a puppy in about 2 months and am worried that with winter coming it is going to be extremely cold for my new pup! I live with my parents whom wont let animals inside the house and possibly wont let a puppy stay inside during the night for the first couple of weeks. If this is the case what would be the best thing to do? Ive thought of getting her a kennel and putting heaps of blankets with one of my worn t-thirts. Also thought of a hotwater bottle or even one of those heated mats. If i did that i would have to enclose the cord within PVC piping or something so if she chews it it wont be a problem. What do you think?

I know what you mean about going nuts - I picked Benson up on the 8th of April (he is 9wk and 4 days old today) and I didn't sleep properly for the last four days prior to getting him. I would wake up in the middle of the night and not be able to get back to sleep cause I was so excited! So can I suggest if this starts happening to you get some sleeping pills cause you are going to lose approx an hour or two of sleep every night for about the first 2 wks :laugh:

Ok I don't know much about Rough Collie's but they seem like they have a heavy coat and once a little older would be able to sleep in a kennel just fine outside with blankets and heat pillow if its really cold. Though I am no expert. Do a google on Hound House's and here is a site that shows a heating pad with no cords http://www.itsadogshop.com/prod1405.htm. Also tell you folks to let you have the pup inside in a carboard box next to your bed for the first week at least! I understand re no inside dogs as I rent and the landlord has said outside only. Hence I didn't want to spend more money on a crate as he need a kennel to sleep in when going outside.

Good luck with the olds and tell them you will get a waterproof bottom in the cardboard box so there are no accidents - Benson woke me up by scratching the box if he need to go!

Susan & Benson

post-16055-1177550218_thumb.jpg

If your parents won't let you have a new puppy inside the house in Melbourne in winter, I don't think you should get the pup! It would be way too cold for the poor little mite outside. It maybe able to sleep outside when it gets older, but not a little baby puppy in the winter.

Invest in a crate, they are invaluable when you have a pup. The pup will be able to sleep inside without making any mess (well they will make mess but it will be easy to clean up in the crate). I am involved in dog rescue and have had up to 16 dogs at a time here :laugh: and have fostered a few puppies. The little puppies always sleep inside in a crate. The crates also come in handy if you want to allow your dog to have inside time when it is older, but don't want it getting into mischief. It also provides the dog with its own space, somewhere to go to when it wants time-out, it is like a safe place for the dog. To make it that way you must never put the dog in there for punishment, and make it cosy and inviting. Feed the doggie treats when it is in the crate and put some toys in there, maybe a cover over the top for warmth and security. (A proper fitted cover is best, I have tried draping a sheet or blanket over the crate and some naughty puppies manage to get hold of them and pull them in through the bars).

sorry i just relised how new you are to the forums - maybe you could tell us a bit more about your circumstances and what you want tot do with the pup :laugh:

just so we can get a feel for how pup will fit in with your lifestyle, might make it easier to make more appropriate suggestions :)

sorry i just relised how new you are to the forums - maybe you could tell us a bit more about your circumstances and what you want tot do with the pup :rofl:

just so we can get a feel for how pup will fit in with your lifestyle, might make it easier to make more appropriate suggestions :rofl:

Hey Akitaowner!

I am getting a sable/white rough collie bitch to be my best friend and to show. She is hopefully going to be born this weekend :laugh: thats if there are enough girls in the litter for me to have one...there is a long list :rofl: . *Crossing my fingers*

I live with my parents in suburbia melbourne with a decent size backyard and good fencing. There is also two under cover entertainment areas. Im am 21 years old and havnt had a dog for 4 years! I have been beggin for 4 years but it has paid off!! Its not that my parents dont like animals its just that when i was young our house was like noahs Ark, and they wanted some "time off". My mum is very fussy when it comes to keeping things clean!!! actually she is physco about it!. But anyway I am excited because they have finally given in to me!! :)

My 'pup to be' is out of Ch. Kazjs Strike A Pose and Ch. Kazjs Finbar. It is funny though the bitches call name is the same as my name..."Katie" :rofl: I have also brought on of those grooming suitcases and have nearly filled it. I still need to get a crate, kennel, bowls, hydrobath, dryer, collar and lead. I have already got heaps of toys consisting of a kong and a few squikies. Anyway thats enough bladdering! I cant wait and already cant sleep at night cos all i do is dream about having my puppy!! :rofl:

Dam can be found: http://www.dogzonline.com.au/breeds/profile.asp?dog=18681

Edited by Collie_lover

You must be so excited!

I was in much the same situation as you when I brought my kelpie home but managed to convince the parents that crating inside at night initially was an acceptable option. Another option for making the transition to the outside is a coat - I knocked one up out of an old polar fleece jumper, pup loved having it on and it kept him nice and warm during those cold Melbourne nights. He was sleeping outside (in a kennel with a couple of wool blankets and a comfy bed) from 12 weeks of age.

Hi all,

I have a Airedale terrier pup that will be 10 weeks old next Saturday.

Is it ok to start the crate training now? Or do you need to wait a couple of more weeks?

Also from what I have read there are conflicting reports aboout how to ctrate train. One account said slowly train them to get used to the crate while another said it is ok to put it in as long as you get up for toilet breaks in the night.

Never having owned a dog before it does get a bit confusing whilst trying to do the right thing. She had been sleeping in the laundry but was making a huge mess hence the crate.

Too cold outside for a puppy with a Melbourne winter. Would your parents agree to inside, in crate? I can understand their concern about mess, but if mess was confined to crate?

Apart from freezing, a pup alone outside will also be likely to howl/ cry/ bark.

About the airedale pup- pup won't be able to hold it all in all night, so toilet breaks required. Idea is that pup will make a fuss as it doesn't want to soil it's "den" (crate) and you'll get up and take it outside.

Collie_lover that sounds like one spoilt pup that isnt even born yet!!! ensure you get a crate big enough for an adult, i used a plastic stack box in the back of mine wheni got my babies so it could grow with them.

Hi all,

I have a Airedale terrier pup that will be 10 weeks old next Saturday.

Is it ok to start the crate training now? Or do you need to wait a couple of more weeks?

Also from what I have read there are conflicting reports aboout how to ctrate train. One account said slowly train them to get used to the crate while another said it is ok to put it in as long as you get up for toilet breaks in the night.

Never having owned a dog before it does get a bit confusing whilst trying to do the right thing. She had been sleeping in the laundry but was making a huge mess hence the crate.

10 weeks is fine - all my pups get crate trained as soon as they get home at 8 weeks :thumbsup:

Basically you cant put a pup in a crate and leave it there nd expect it not the want out - after having the freedom of running aorund all the time. so gradually introduce pup to crate - can be done in a day, put treats etc inside and leave door open pup will soon go and investigate sit next to the crate - positive associations :laugh: praise pup when he goes inside - sit quitely and still while treating etc close the door for a few sec and open a again - go with how pup reacts. eventually extend the time closing the door still sit with pup - increase to leaving pup in crate while you do some things nearby where they can see you. in between each stage take pup outside for toilet and play. pup in crate and leave room - pup will prob cry a bit, do not return until pup has stopped - even stopped for a second is ok. stand behind a door or somewhere pup cant see you - talk to pup but no visual etc talk calmly smoothly and quietly - maybe at this stage turn a Tv or radio on to confort pup and leave for longer periods

make sure you not only putting pup in crate when your leaving....negative association :laugh:

maybe when you have a shower etc feed pup in crate - they soon come to love it and will even put themselves to bed in it if given the opportunity :o