Winter Soon And Pup Needs A Lasting Kennel

flycow

Hello all, as topic, any suggestions?

The weather is getting colder and my 10month old Diva is ready for a 'house' of her own. She sleeps in her playpen with bedding since young and I'm thinking of getting her a 'house' soon. I haven't decide on a kennel or crate thus I said house. :thumbsup:

Diva is a light chewer so I want something that lasts. When she has her hessian beddings, she will suck on the corners and pull out the threads over a period of time then chew the foam and sometimes eats them. If she has a blanket she will suck on them too and pull the threads. With the clamshell she will leave ugly bitemarks around the edges. But she will take at least a month to go through each item, so I'd say she's a light chewer.

My current options and their pros and cons are,

1) Plastic Kennel (AUD250) -

Pros, just need to add bedding and it's all cosy.

Cons, will have unsightly teethmarks all over and won't last years.

2) Crate (AUD150) -

Pros, lasting and portable everywhere, holidays and indoors.

Cons, will have to add a thick blanket cover and probably tied them around the crate to keep out the draft. Pup will always pull in the cover and chew or pull at the threads. So blanket has to be replace often.

3) Wood (AUD 400) -

Pros, cosy and solid, only need to add bedding

Cons, difficult to clean/scrub, retain smell, pup might chew the edges and swallow the timber.

Can dolers let me know what you think? I just want (hopefully) to spend a one time investment and not continuously replacing the kennel every few months, so don't really like the plastic ones. But I haven't decide and is open to all suggestions. Please help. Thanks! :rofl:

Hey there

Check out the hound house's my girlfriend who is a vet got me onto them. The awesome thing is that the mat can be removed during summer to let puppy have a cool nights sleep. I haven't got one of the snuggle pads yet but if we start getting cooler nights I am thinking of investing in one.

http://www.houndhouse.com.au/custom_dog_kennels.htm

http://www.itsadogshop.com/prod1405.htm

Good luck!

Susan & Benson

post-16055-1177641480_thumb.jpg

Edited by First Time Puppy Owner

by the way if you decide to go with the wood ones go to bunnings they are way cheaper there - I saw a large kennel for $150.00 k!

I got that one... I stained it and now it looks better than a pet shop one. Very easy to put together. Sable is already taller than a standard lab and fits in just right.

He is a heavy chewer and has had a nibble around the door way but got board quickly and has left it alone ever since. It's really snug.

This is the best photo I could find... and yes he is in there!

post-15351-1177643524_thumb.jpg

i built my kennel recently - as i wanted double bunk accommodation!! :thumbsup:

all up cost about $150 so a smaller one should be way less. i painted mine - but my 2 arent chewers so no issues there.

Important things to consider:

Keeping pup off the ground - all kennels should have a raised floor for warmth

Size - dont get too big - takesmuch more energy to heat a big space in a kennel.

Materials - if you have a chewer ensure the wood is not treated in any way - it could be harmful to pup, id recommend cedar it wouldnt need any maintenance.

Cleaning - i cant envisage mine getting particularly dirty - its on the deck and my 2 are fairly clean *most* of the time!! you could hose/scrub out anything once a yr in the summer - im sure that would be fine.

Mav with is new house (i have 2 akitas - both 50kgs+ when full grown)

post-3230-1177643974_thumb.jpg

That looks great Rhi!

I went with the Hound house cause it weighs only 9kgs and I can fold it back down and take it with us when we go and stay at a friends place - once he he has had all his shots of course. :thumbsup:

post-16055-1177644376_thumb.jpg

I'd like to give him a bed like that but at the moment he is going through his naughty puppy stage and everything is a target, I can't imagine the fabric lasting very long. I think that style will be a great option for him when he gets older.

Back to the original post... His wooden kennel doesn't retain any doggy smell, the smells mostly come from his bedding. Easy to clean, just needs a sweep. Much better insulator from the weather than plastic.

Good luck.

Hey thanks FTPO, but houndhouse won't be suitable, my lab will shred it within an hour.

Akitaowner, LOVE LOVE LOVED your kennel! it's so pretty and special, wouldn't it be drafty with the two doors? OH and I are not good with our hands, and know nuts about tools, can't do one ourselves.

Rhi I'm considering the kennel you bought, I have a stain with a similar colour to yours, what kind of stain do you have? If I eventually buy it, I might just let pup have a chew until she gets sick of it, THEN I'll stain it.

BTW your pup looks cheeky, is he a staffy or lab? pardon me not very good at telling that from avatar. hee

Thanks all for the input, please keep them coming if you have some suggestions.

Timber for longevity - watch for treated pine, better to use a non toxic stain/paint on normal pine or similar. For chewers simply buy some strips of metal about 5cm wide and attach them around the opening. Much nastier to chew :laugh:. No reason to pay more than about $230 for a decent sized timber kennel with a metal roof though.

Plastic for easy care, moveability and cleaning. Look for a heavy top for good insulation properties. Can be sprayed with a bitter tasting substance to help avoid chewing if your dog responds to it. There are top quality large plastic kennels around for $150.

Crate is great for indoor and limited outdoor use. Even with a decent cover, I wouldn't leave mine in a crate outdoors. That's just me though.

Houndhouses are ace - but not for chewers! Even with bitter bite or similar they can be eaten! But for those who don't, wow they are good. My two girls try to fit into one extra large HH - imagine 2 adult St Bernards doing that. :thumbsup:

I read in another post in DOL, that you could use hay as a dog bedding, but was wondering if i were to use hay, how can i get rid of the smell of hay.

Is there another product that is similar to hay as i am allergic to hay as well ;/

My dog also have the problem of ripping up anything that is soft and fluffy. And i cant use the mat or towels that came with the plastic kennel that i bought from Bunings.

First time puppy owner and Rhi,

I was hunting for the kennel you guys mentioned today at bunnings in Melbourne, no luck. Can you guys let me know exactly which branch you saw it (in your state)?

Rhi do you have the measurements of the kennel?

Thanks!