12 Week Old Puppy

RoxyJasmineAnnie

We have had Annie for two weeks now, she is a border collie. She has settled in wonderful with Roxy and Jasmine. Shes very smart!! We were wondering just one thing she does wheneva we pat her she holds onto our jumper and sucks on it? Does anyone know why she would be doing this? Should we start saying "no" or is it just a puppy thing?

Thanks

I found it to be a comfort thing.

My hand reared boxer bitch still does it now at just over 2 years old. I think its gone from comfort to grooming with her, cos im her mummy lol

I wouldn't worry about it. if she progresses to biting, teach her either 'ouch' or 'no'. our dogs respond to 'ouch' very quickly and go back to licking.

Hope that helps

Jenna

Just don't make a big deal out of it and it won't become a problem. If it does start to get out of hand, or if she ignores you when you say, "that's enough," gently remove the sleeve from her mouth, get up and walk away without a word. She will soon learn how much you will tolerate. If you make a "thing" out of the behaviour, it will become a "thing." :eek:

I'd try to stop it.

When we got jazmin, she had a habit of sucking thing like a puppy... Well, she was a puppy at the time. She would get a corner of a pillow and suck it, and work her paws on it like it was her mum...

We figured she would grow out of it.

She still does it today, and she is eleven.

I have a 13 year old cattle dog who has a blanky she sucks! Very cute seeing this tough old girl sucking on her blanky then falling to sleep with it. If it's not hurting anything and makes the pup happy, OK. If it bothers you you may have to tell her argh! each time.