Dog Show Newbie

The Spencinator

Ok guys I'm new to the whole show scene but would like to go to a couple of dog shows and check them out. Hopefully this is the right place to ask my questions. First of all, am I allowed to just rock up? I assume you don't have to actually be showing a dog to enter the grounds? Also, how do I find out when shows are on and which breeds are going to be at said shows? I'm looking for shows close to Adelaide if anyone can help me out. Is there any etiquette I should know about? I would like to avoid putting my foot in it if at all possible :laugh:

Thanks guys :)

Yes, you can just show up to watch. I'd definitely recommend going to get an idea of how it all works. If you join Dogs SA you will receive monthly magazines listing upcoming shows. Most shows are all breeds- there will be a judge listed for each group, otherwise the listing will say whether a show is just for a single group or breed. A lot of dog shows in SA are at SACA park in Kilburn. I'm a newbie to the show ring myself (haven't shown for over a year though!) and have found a lot of people to be very friendly and helpful. Best not to talk to folk if they're about to go in the ring, but otherwise exhibitors are usually happy to chat in my experience.

Probably talk to your dog's breeder, I'm sure they will be happy to give advice. :)

Edited by grizabella

If you go to the DogsSA website under the events link choose upcoming events and you will find a list of upcoming shows, their locations and start times. If the show is a breed or specialty show there will only be certain breeds attending, but at the main all breed shows you will get a selection across all breeds depending on the entires on the day. Don't crowd exhibitors if they have a dog under their care no matter where they are on the grounds. They may be training or trying to get the dog to toilet before ringtime even if they are way down the back somewhere. Just ask politely and be willing to come back to them later if that's what they'd prefer.

Hang around somewhere near the ring where you can hear the steward for a little bit (just stay out of the way of the exhibitors), it will give you an idea of what is going on. It will also be incredibly confusing listening to what they call but after a bit it starts to make sense!! Often there are people who have finished showing their breed or whatnot who are hanging around the rings watching what is going on and some of these people may be happy to explain what is happening in the ring.

Ok guys I'm new to the whole show scene but would like to go to a couple of dog shows and check them out. Hopefully this is the right place to ask my questions. First of all, am I allowed to just rock up? I assume you don't have to actually be showing a dog to enter the grounds? Also, how do I find out when shows are on and which breeds are going to be at said shows? I'm looking for shows close to Adelaide if anyone can help me out. Is there any etiquette I should know about? I would like to avoid putting my foot in it if at all possible :laugh:

Thanks guys :)

You can use this MOST valuable part of this site

https://www.dogzonline.com.au/event-diary/

All the States list their events.

It states what groups ( of breeds) are going to be judged.

This is only my 2 cents, try to avoid talking to strangers who have a dog on lead as they are about to go into the ring ( to be judged). Many are concentrating on other matters.

Dress for the weather and not for fashion. Can be very hot over Summer. Dont take a dog with you.

I hope you enjoy finding out about showing. Your breeder should be an aid as well.

I'll look forward to updates too.

:D

I think the biggest mistake I made, and I've seen others do, is mess up the hair of the dogs with elaborate coats and clips! Don't be offended if people won't let you pat their dogs even when you ask nicely as it is hours of work getting them looking how they do.

I would take a chair to sit on and get a program so you can see what is going on too.

Have fun