Elongated Palates

~Anne~

This is a pic taken of a little rescue Pug that I currently have in seconds before her elongated palate was resected. I am horrified as to the amount of flesh that had to be removed to open up her airways but so happy the surgery is now done and I look forward to the improvement in her health.

The bulb type part is the excess flesh of the palate that is about to be resected to open up her airways. It is huge!

post-3413-1254215786_thumb.jpg

Yes, huge isn't it. She is still a little choked up and snuffly but this is mainly swelling as the sugery was only done Monday. The biggest issue with the little doofus is trying to stop her running and playing like a fruticake already. :rofl: I will forever be amazed at how quickly dogs bounce back from surgery!

Now, we just need to get her bladder stones and UTI sorted and she'll be ready to find her forever home.

Hi, I am interested in getting a pug sometime in the future, i have researched the breed a fair bit but will will doing much more before i actually get one, I am aware that they do have breathing difficulties due to the breed being brachycephalic...please correct me if im wrong i am a newbie when it comes to dogs, is this operation a common thing to have done to brachycephalic breeds or just in extreme cases?

I guess it depends on how you measure 'common'. :vomit:

In my view, it is more common than what I am comfortable with.

In having said that, I have had 2 rescues in this year who have had a palate resection, and approximately another 6 in total that were either diagnosed and we chose not to operate or were suspected but not officially diagnosed.

Im glad i have DOL as a info source, i haven't read about them having this done, i assumed it was something we just had to deal with and ensure the dog stays as comfortable as possible, it is unfortunate that it comes down to surgery for the little guys, but after all the swellings gone away and healing has begun , im sure it would improve there quality of life greatly, and as any animal does deserve a great life full of love and kindness, pugs seem like amazing dogs... I hope your rescue is doing better now :vomit:

She's doing wonderful now. Still a little congested but this is purely due to swelling after the surgery. The difference in her breathing is quite noticeable already.

I have met many Pugs over the years who have no real issue with their breathing. It does pay to choose wisely though and speak at length with your breeder about the issue. Brachy breeds are prone to these issues, regardless of how well bred they are simply due to their skull structure. A good breeder recognises this and implements strategies to keep elongated palates and other brachy sydnrome issues to a minimum. A bad breeder claims it rarely exists.

• 2 months later...