Innotek Dog Collars

Guest afton

Guest afton

I'm on a horse forum and some people are talking about using the innotek dog fence (zaps your dog, uses special collars etc., there apparently is a couple of voltage zap settings also). I personally hate this type of training or method of keeping your dogs in and the conversation is making me angry.

What are other dog people's opinions?

Kind Regards,

Afton

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have one, not innotek, but the same idea.....i love it.

My older dog is an escape artist from hell, i have a fenced yard that would keep in any normal dog...and many abnormal ones. But my 40kg Rotti x goes straight underneath it! And yes it does have concrete surrounds underneath the cyclone fence/wire, but he chews off the clips that hold the cyclone fence stuff to the bead wire at the bottom and rolls straight out. He doesn't do it for any particular reason other then because he can and i think somewhere along the line it became a game for him.

I have had my invisable fence for about 18 months now, and i can honestly say that i have probably zapped myself more then the dog has. He quickly learnt the boundry adn will back off when he hears the warning beep that the collar emits. Me on the other hand...well...the less said the better :laugh: There is a range of settings and my fence is set amongst the lowest as it didn't take much to teach my boy. The collar isn't exactly stylish but it does the trick and my dog isn't bothered by it.

I rent and so this boost to my fencing is great as i can take it with me when i move. I also have peace of mind as my dog isn't wondering the streets getting picked up by the Council, isn't running the chance of getting hit by a car, isn't getting into barneys with other dogs. He's not annoying neighbours or having kids (and their parents) think he's scary because he's black and tan.

I did a lot of research into the zappy fence idea and was very picky about the model/type i got. But i am happy with the one i have and my dog is safe and sound. I would not recommend them for every instance...but for me it's worked wonders.

Kit Kat what type do you use?? my friend is having a huge problem containing her GSD they have moved to rural and it has killed a sheep already :laugh: she has asked for any suggestions as she does not want to destroy it

This is a link to the company i went through. I'm not sure if they are interstate but check out their website and if it doesn't say then give them a call they should be able to perhaps put your friend onto someone in their vicinity :laugh:

I did try everything...i was at a point where it was either give up my boy, put him back on a chain or find something....so i did. The invisable fence has been a godsend, it's let me keep my dog as well as keep him safe.

As to boredom...nope, it was a game to my boy....for example, once i was out and playing with him for about an hour...he was puffed..and so was i. I went inside to get a drink and within 10 minutes the kids next door brought him home. It just became part of the game, he started doing it to my little side fence that i put in, it separates the front yard from the back yard. For ages i'd come home to find him in the front yard...for no real reason...because it was a good game, still do on the odd occasion as it's an unzappy fence and he likes to keep his escapist skills honed apparently :laugh:

EFS

Edited by KitKat

Guest afton

I just asked the RSPCA about these and in NSW it is ILLEGAL to use these types of devices!!!

Unsure about other states.

Kind Regards,

Afton

Hi

I used to ride trackwork and we had electric fences everywhere, not quite the same as the fences you are talking about but same principle. We had a horse spook one day and he went straight through it (three electrified wires these fences were designed to keep bulls in and packed a punch). Bluey knew it was there, but at that particular moment it wasn't a concern, for whatever reason (possibly because whatever spooked him was scarier than the fence). We also had horses get out sometimes :laugh: this is how I found out the fence had a good kick as the first time a horse got out I thought the fence was down NOOOO This is my experience with electric fences. I had one to keep my goats in, they have also got out, but that could have been cos we didn't have enough earths along it.

cheers

M-J

The RSPCA doesn't like the invisable fences....but i couldn't give a toss about what they think. I am acting in the best interest of my dog and that is all that matters, if they want to knock on my door and say i can't use one...then they are going to get fight on their hands.

These fences are illegal to import without a licence, adn in some states they may well be illegal but you can get around that with a vets recommendation usually. The RSPCA would like to be able to ban them nationally, as to if they will or not is another matter.

Hmm...nice choice for me....zappy fence which my dog doesn't push so doesn't get zapped thus it;s humane....or....on a chain for the rest of his days...or...third choice at the nice old age of 9ish he gets rehomed? hmmm...i'll stick with my zappy fence.

Oh...before i has my fence installed i asked to be zapped...it was quite a bit less then the static zap you might get after scuffling across some types of carpet and touching another person or some metal.

Guest afton

People who break their states dog laws regarding this need to be prepaired for the consequences and it doesn't take much for people to find out and the authorities to be informed. Sreaming blue murder or ignorance is no LEGAL defence.

Afton

I just asked the RSPCA about these and in NSW it is ILLEGAL to use these types of devices!!!

Unsure about other states.

Kind Regards,

Afton

are they illegal in NSW or is it just that the RSPCA doesn't recommend them

I wouldn't believe the RSPCA without being shown some sort of documentation.

Ask them to fax you the section of the act that says they are illegal just to be sure.

Edited by MaxSpots

They were illegal but aren't anymore

from the innotek website;

InAustralia, the misguided belief that the system was somehow harmful to dogs resulted in it being outlawed in New South Wales until last 3 years ago. Happily that law has been changed and when you consider that the output of one of these collars is 3,000 times less than an electric fence, itʼs about time

Sreaming blue murder or ignorance is no LEGAL defence.

I know where i stand legally...and i don't live in NSW...and if i need to i can get 'authorisation' from a vet. If required i can provide all i would need to plead my case if such a little thing was to go to court, which i doubt it would get to.

And personally....if people want to run around and stickybeak at my property to see what type fences i have, just to dob me into the RSPCA...they they need to get a life. Now if they were concerned about the health and well being of my dogs then that is another matter.

Edited as i just read MaxSpots replies :confused: thanks for that info :rolleyes:

Also..the RSPCA does not like the collars/fences and keeps stiring up the issue...and each time they have had their complaints refuted in court and the RSPCA''s complaint thrown out.

Edited by KitKat

Guest afton

I phoned Sydney Head Office and was told that most people think that they are legal in NSW where infact they are ILLEGAL in NSW (not that they don't like their use).

Afton

I phoned Sydney Head Office and was told that most people think that they are legal in NSW where infact they are ILLEGAL in NSW (not that they don't like their use).

Afton

basically the RSPCA is wrong, sorry, they don't like them so aren't going to tell people they are ok.

NSW

##Restricted - in accordance with the act in NSW an electronic underground fence must be used "inside a fence through which dogs cannot pass and that is not less than 1.5 metres high"

EDIT:

kitkat, there are no restrictions in QLD

unless this website is out of date

http://www.lovemypet.com.au/mall/state.htm

Edited by MaxSpots

okay - i wasn't going to respond... but i couldn't help it.

afton are you really interested in what is in the best interest of the dog or what is the letter of the law?

we all know the law can be ridiculous sometimes, so I think it is irrelevant to what I thought you originally posted about. In some states the COURT directs dog owners to use these fences... so there is also no consistency nationwide.

if you are interested in considering what is in the best interests of the dogs then abandon your argument along the legal lines. ANYTHING can be misused and be used to abuse a dog, including their normal collars (you just have to look in the rescue section of this website). Are we going to make those illegal?

I thought your original question was about the use in practice and the effects on dogs of these types of fences.

If an owner was some kind of freak and forced the dog into the zone where it was zapped repeatedly I would whole heartedly support your stance, but most dogs can figure it out... that's the idea... and then they don't go near them. if the manufacturers INTENDED for the dogs to be zapped repeatedly they wouldn't build in the noise warning for them to learn from.

Guest afton

I'm going on what the RSPCS say. Does what you have quoted say anything about collars that give an electric zap?

Also the case I'm talking about it appears they are using it in place of a dog proof fence and proper training as they only moved in 3 week prior. You can judge for yourself hope I'm allowed to post this link http://www.eques.com.au/forum/index.html and go to the update on innotek Dog Fence

afton

afton,

I haven't read your link yet

But the way I understand it is you do need to have a decent fence behind the electronic system. The zap is to stop them testing the fence and pushing or climbing it.

I didn't think it was designed to be used alone.

yes, The quoted bits are in relation to electronic collars and invisible fence containment systems

I was intending to keep out of this but

In my opinion owners which use this fence are the responsible ones !! - hello ? spending this much money to keep your dog safe and OFF the streets in my eyes responsible unlike those who let their dogs do as they please.

And I doubt VERY much that people who enjoy harming and being cruel to animals would outlay money to do so they will always find other ways unfortunately.

The RSPCA have conflicting views, they go on and on about lost dogs blah blah blah yet hate the use of this system which is at times the only way to keep escape artists safe from being lost at a pound.

Afton please get down off your soap box ...

Edited by Hazz