Win A Kelpie

well, i was waiting for someone else to reply, but no one did :laugh:

So, i am not commenting on peoples different ideas on giving a dog as a prize.

It looks like a really nice little working pup. There is no doubt that it is coming from very good lines. It will be one very lucky farmer who gets this little dog, as it will be very handy.

I hope they really check out the potential winner...and that little pup doesnt end up in a suburban back yard.

Luckily, they are only advertising in country newspapers, so only mainly farmers will see it.

Just to add, working Kelpies can live a very fullfilled life in "a suburban backyard", it depends on the owners devotion and willingness to work it. Very hard to find such owners though, so hopefully it will go to a farm.

I can't see it - it says I have to be a member.

How are people going to win the dog?

I hate the whole idea of people "winning" pets of any kind, and I actually thought it wasn't allowed ??

DOL'ers managed to help get a magazine to cancel their prize of a pet last year

http://forums.dogzonline.com.au/index.php?...c=58872&hl=

Maybe post this in general too ?

Edited by wagsalot

This prize is not a "pet". It is a very worthwhile prize and any farmer wanting another dog would welcome it. They wouldnt enter it if they werent after another worker.

For farmers, it is no big deal bringing in another pup. They dont have to rush out and buy new collars, beds, crates etc. Its very different to bringing a new pet into the family.

This prize is not a "pet". It is a very worthwhile prize and any farmer wanting another dog would welcome it. They wouldnt enter it if they werent after another worker.

You'd hope not, anyway. To be honest, I'm a little ambivalent about the idea of offering a dog as a prize. It will probably get lots of entries, and is great advertising for the breeder. And hopefully the dog will go to a good home where it will be appreciated and looked after.

But I don't think we'd let any of our pups be sold that way (as a prize)- there are lots of people (farmers and others) we wouldn't sell dogs to, because they don't train them or treat them well. I'd hate to think what we'd do if it turned out the competition winner was someone we wouldn't sell to normally. Its the same reason we probably wouldn't ever sell a dog through the Casterton auction, although I think there you have the option of withdrawing from sale at the last minute.

Nice pup, anyway. And I agree about the suburban home- some active city homes are excellent placements for working-bred dogs.

I can't see it - it says I have to be a member.

How are people going to win the dog?

Wagsalot, you can see the video of the pup working by clicking on the advertisement to the right of the page (or sign up as a member to read the full details).

You can win by sending in a coupon from one of a group of rural magazines.

I see no problem with this competition at all, it is only being advertised in rural papers (haven't seen it in the WT) and farmers aren't the type of people to enter such competitions on a whim. If the dog was surplus to requirements then chances are it would be sold to someone who did need a good dog.

and at least the competition is aimed at the right people unlike the dreadful one last year that was aimed at teenage girls who like the look for a fluffy until they actually have to pick up their poop or they spew or do something that even cute fluffies coz they are dogs do.

most farmers would be rapt to win this prize, from memory Casterton kelpies are very well known and sought after.

Given the prices for a top dog have gone to $7K, and the lowest prices for potentials with some experience is about $700+, i reckon most farmers would be very happy ;)

Whether its advertised at the right people or not, I still don't think any animal should be able to be won as a prize.

Give the farmers money so they can go buy the dog themselves, but not as a prize.

Anyone can enter the comp, so theres no guarantee what kind of home this poor dog will end up in.

Agreed. Offering a dog as a prize is wrong, no matter what.

It's not about who is 'likely' to win, and what they're 'likely' to do with the dog.

It's about making the dog a prize in a competition.

I can't believe so many were outraged to the point of blackmail for the last comp, and yet here are heaps of people who think it's okay this time around?!

I know of farmers who will shoot a dog in the paddock if they don't do their job any more. But because they're 'working dogs' that's okay by you people?

Spend enough time in the agriculture field and you will come across competitions to win stud cattle, horses/ponies, a stud ram/ewe. The "general public" i.e non-farming community rarely even hear about it because its never advertised outside it. You wouldn't enter a competition to win a stud heifer if you didn't have anywhere to put her, or a competition to win a stud service with nothing to use it over.

Same with a working dog, unless you have the work or requirement for it, you wouldn't enter. Farmers don't tend to "impulse buy" a working dog.

Completely different target audiences!

And where did anyone say in this thread about shooting them? :mad

Same with a working dog, unless you have the work or requirement for it, you wouldn't enter. Farmers don't tend to "impulse buy" a working dog.

Completely different target audiences!

And where did anyone say in this thread about shooting them? :mad

There are no limitations to whom can enter this competition. You don't have to justify your reasons. It doesn't matter who you think the target audience is - the fact is you can't guarantee a good environment for the dog.

Shooting them? Happens all the time. I live semi-rural and know at least two people who do this.

It doesn't matter who you think the target audience is - the fact is you can't guarantee a good environment for the dog.

The competition is being advertised ONLY in very rural orientated papers. Not even in the WT. Don't know too many non-farming people who read the StocknLand... or any of the other papers its being advertised in for that matter.

The competition is being done to advertise the Casterton auction.... know what happens at Casterton? You rock up, look at the dogs, watch them work, register yourself as a bidder and buy yourself a dog. You can't guarantee a good environment for the dog.... but then again you can't do that regardless. Look at how many breeders on this forum have sold dogs to "loving homes" only to have the dog returned to them or worse still sold on!

If you've watched the video at all and know anything about working dogs, you'd see a young pup thats going to be a pretty handy dog when he's older. He's also been trained by a well known trainer who has previously sold dogs to $7000 at Casterton. Most farmers I know will pass a dog on (i.e sell or giveaway) if they have no further use for it - no-one wants to see a good dog shot. In fact my Dad picked up his best bitch like this, and sold her on a few years later when he retired from farming and she couldn't hack town life.

IMHO this kelpie has a far better chance of ending up in a good environment than your average pet shop puppy....

Very well said Feralpup.

I wish this thread had never been started. Firstly, because it is advertising to a totally innapropriate audience and secondly too many people, who have no agricultural background or working dog experience, will give their emotive slant on it.

I just hope no one innapropriate sees this here, enters it, and ends up winning a beautiful working dog that they will have heaps of trouble with due to having no work for it.