Opinions On Clippers

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ML, unless you have a genuine need for cordless clippers (eg using them nowhere near a power point) I'd be inclined to buy one's with a cord. I love my Andis clippers and wouldn't change brands (I've had Wahl before)

However, a rechargeable battery will shorten the life of the clippers considerably. Same thing goes for power tools I'm told. They won't be as powerful off mains power either.

Edited by poodlefan

These seem similar, only a few dollars cheaper: http://www.freewebs.com/clipperbladesharpening/clippers.htm.

Can't vouch for the clippers themselves, but I've bought different clippers, blades, had blades sharpened from Colin with zero hassles and extra helpful advice. He's on DOL, also- Nicestmann77. He's an ex-groomer, so should be able to tell you whether or not they're suitable for the jobs you want to use it for. I use higher power type, but I shear 2 poodles every month or so :o . People seem happy with Clipperworld, also, but I haven't bought there b4.

Hi ML,

I havent used this one, but being a trimmer AND rechargable, it may not have enough power to clip - say - pregnant tummies of breeds with thick hair. I have tried the cheaper clippers in the past and found they didnt cut though the fur of my low-shedding dogs - not even for a trim.

I have used the top of the range Andis cordless (once). I liked it as it was quiet and easy to use. It is about $600 though.

I have myself the corded Andis 2 speed - it is perfect :).

If you get it, let us know how it goes.

How do you know what clippers to buy? to completly clip a dog, there seems to be too much choice and i have no knowledge.

Does anyone use scissors? for triming and scissoring? what brand and what style?

Hmm, what's the difference in a "trimmer" and a normal set of clippers?

Generally, they are smaller with a narrower blade and less powerful. The blades tend to be fixed rather than interchangeable. I'd not use them to try and clip coat, rather just whiskers, ear hair etc.

How do you know what clippers to buy? to completly clip a dog, there seems to be too much choice and i have no knowledge.

Does anyone use scissors? for triming and scissoring? what brand and what style?

Tell me about it! All I want is something to replace the human set that I made blunt from using it on the dogs :) and it's all too hard.

I know I don't want the "Pet Trimmer" set for $30 in BigW and that I am not a professional so I don't need to be spending hundreds of dollars but apart from that I've no idea. I just want the best value (quality for price) set of general use clippers. *scream!*

Ask us :).

I use the Andis two speed clippers for my dogs, and I use scissors for their muzzles, legs, and eyebrows.

The clippers are fantastic - light, quiet and powerful. The Wahl straight scissors I have are great (6"), but the curved blade ones (also Wahl) are awful and only mash the hair rather than cut it :thumbsup:

Some links:

http://www.clipperworld.com.au/shop/index....mp;productId=34 (Andis 2 speed)

http://www.clipperworld.com.au/shop/index....p;productId=127 (wahl 6" scissors)

Tell me about it! All I want is something to replace the human set that I made blunt from using it on the dogs :) and it's all too hard.

I know I don't want the "Pet Trimmer" set for $30 in BigW and that I am not a professional so I don't need to be spending hundreds of dollars but apart from that I've no idea. I just want the best value (quality for price) set of general use clippers. *scream!*

ML, I'd suggest if it's only for "general trimming" then buy a set of brand name, single speed clippers. Andis make them. They'll last longer than any cheapie and that's good economy. Two speed are great for doing fiddly bits like faces and feet but if you aren't doing that (not much call on a BC or Bull Mastiff :thumbsup: ) then single speed will suffice.

(Andis 2 speed)

:thumbsup: I can not justify $255 (the sale price :) ) on a set of clippers that would spend 99% of their time in the cupboard. Isn't there something that will work but not cost over $100?

ETA:

you can't sharpen the human set?

:) Probably, but they go blunt very quickly.

Two speed are great for doing fiddly bits like faces and feet but if you aren't doing that (not much call on a BC or Bullmastiff ) then single speed will suffice.

:D

I trim whiskers with scissors but if it's easier I'd use the clippers. Otherwise as I said, it's for very infrequent need to shave tummy hair of BC bitches or when a dog (rescue or the mob) gets a hotspot or a sore that needs the immediate area clipped to heal quicker.

Edited by molasseslass

(Andis 2 speed)

:) I can not justify $255 (the sale price :thumbsup: ) on a set of clippers that would spend 99% of their time in the cupboard. Isn't there something that will work but not cost over $100?

Realisticly? No.

How about $239... that'll get you Andis single speeds. :)

http://www.itsadogshop.com/category36_1.htm

Here they are for $233

http://www.gonetothedogs.com.au/shop/produ...p;ProcessType=1

Edited by poodlefan