Opinions On Clippers

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What about wiping dogs eyes?

I was told to use baby wipes, should i? or should i be buying dog (aristopet) eye wipes?

I use a damp cotton pad... :) There is no way I'd put a baby wipe near a dog's eyes.

Edited by poodlefan

That's the point for me though Monie, my dogs don't go to the groomers. The things I need the clippers for is not regular grooming - in fact it's not "grooming" at all - it's just a useful thing. I can use scissors to hack away the hair for any of the jobs I need clippers for, it's just that it's quicker, easier and looks nicer to shave with a set of clippers. But my "luxury" budget for this item does not even come close to what has been suggested.

Hey ML, I got to clip nearly a whole Border Collie once!! A 10# blade does a nice job.

Am I supposed to think that is a good thing? :)

Because one of my favourite rants is about @$%##s who shave double coated breeds like the BC.

Edited by molasseslass

This wasn't meant to be a wind up ML. In this case the dog's coat was harsh and discoloured due to months of extensive medication for haemalytic anaemia. It was only shaved to reveal the new healthy coat growing back. I've only done it once and I have no problem with the reason for which it was done.

It was done at the request of the dog's owner who has put show, obedience and agility titles on the 6 or more BC's they've owned. This is the first time they've ever had a dog shaved.

I suppose that still makes me a #@#@ in your eyes?

Edited by poodlefan

This wasn't meant to be a wind up ML.

Good to know, I had thought it was.

I suppose that still makes me a #@#@ in your eyes?

:) If you like.

But if you actually wanted to know, then no, of course it's not that simple. :thumbsup:

And besides I said a "@$%##" :)

Ok then, how about these ones:

http://www.horsesuppliesdirect.com.au/prod2412.htm

($137, corded, for trimming dogs and horses, made by Thrive (I had some thrive clippers - very sturdy)

These ones are currently at $59 on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/DOG-CLIPPERS-ELECTR...1QQcmdZViewItem

The casing is exactly the same as my Thrive 900 clippers, but the brand is different? The list of features is also very similar, as is the items you get in the box. You'd need to check them out, but if they are the Thrive ones, they are definatly worth the money, and will last you a lifetime. the seller is also selling them called 'miniature horse clippers' - they mean that the horse is miniature I think!

If you are still interested in teh cordless ones, find somewhere near you that sells them, and take your dog in to try them out :wink:. They may well be fine for what you want.

What about wiping dogs eyes?

I was told to use baby wipes, should i? or should i be buying dog (aristopet) eye wipes?

I always use baby wipes now and always did when I worked in a grooming salon. But this is a personal choice and some people choose not too so completely up to you. Cheers

I wouldnt use them because they have soap in them (be careful of the new anti-bacterial ones too - I wouldnt like to put those chemicals near eyes)

I use cotton make up remover pads and either:

- tear stain remover

- water

- pooch face wash from Alt

• 9 months later...

i am looking for a cheap pet trimmer for my maltese dog. The pro trimmers out there are around $250 which is beyond my price range.

Where can i find a second hand one? rather than a cheapie $30 from BigW that will only last 1 cut

The reality is with clippers the cheaper they are the more often you have to replace them as there engines blow up quickly & die.

Most do not have interchangable blades & infact many of the blades lenghts either scalp the dog or take nothing off at all & then owners end up paying for the groomer to go over it again.

The cheapies have no power for full body clips so its takes forever.

Once the blades are blunt with some of the cheapie brands you can not sharpen them so you hav eto buy a new pair & others you can sharpen but cant buy replacements.

Now with some of the ceapies if your paying to resharpen the blades often then it wont take long for the expense to go past buying the quality ones in the first place.Many also cant be serviced or able to buy replacement tongues for when those parts brake.

The oster,andis,wahl you can service easily ,buy all the replacement parts(tongues etc etc).

I cant help with the $250 brand as ours cost over $1000.

As a groomer for over 15 years a good brand will last forever our first osters are still going strong after 24 years

If you keep your dog matt free I think these ones would be ok

http://www.freewebs.com/clipperbladesharpening/clippers.htm

Colin is also a member on this forum

yes i saw these while trying to find more info on clippers and they look really easy to use and pretty good quality for domestic use

has anyone used it before.. please give me some feedback..

the website has a u-tube link and it looks so easy

If you keep your dog matt free I think these ones would be ok

http://www.freewebs.com/clipperbladesharpening/clippers.htm

Colin is also a member on this forum

yes i saw these while trying to find more info on clippers and they look really easy to use and pretty good quality for domestic use

has anyone used it before.. please give me some feedback..

the website has a u-tube link and it looks so easy

i agree with settrlvr. You are better off saving the extra and buying a clipper that will last and do the job more efficiently. You can buy a Wahl KM SS clipper for $170 and this is a professional quality 40W clipper that has standard blades that can be sharpened, and parts and service readily available.