Training On Quail

Thanks for the pics. I love seeing dogs do what they were bred for.

Is your IS working bred or is there no difference in working/show?

Mine are working bred. There is (unfortunately) a huge split b/t working and show Irish, much more so in the case of the Irish than in most other gundog breeds. Irish are such good looking dogs, they've starred in films and books, been owned by US presidents and widely used in advertising campaigns. All of which means there was/is a tremendous amount of breeding for looks, with no thought to working ability, a sure fire way to destroy a working breed.

Edited by Working_Setters

Ok, thanks for that. I thought your dog looked like it had less coat than the show ones. Great looking dog.

All of which means there was/is a tremendous amount of breeding for looks, with no thought to working ability, a sure fire way to destroy a working breed.

I feel your pain :kissbetter: . Too many breeds have had a showing/working split. Such a shame.

One of my dogs is as ugly as can be but boy can he work!!

Hi W-S,

You trialling this year? I am desperate to get to a trial and see what goes on. Unfortunately, no Spaniel/Retriever Trials are being held in NSW any more so not looking good for me and my pup... :(

I thought your dog looked like it had less coat than the show ones.

The working IS are smaller and have WAY less coat than the show IS, however it must be said that my bitch, Prika, is a little too finely structured and a light coated, even for a working IS. My male, Zach, has a better conformation and coat, (actually I think he's very good looking). He'll give you an idea of a typical working IS, see a couple of pic of Zach HERE

Hi W-S,

You trialling this year? I am desperate to get to a trial and see what goes on. Unfortunately, no Spaniel/Retriever Trials are being held in NSW any more so not looking good for me and my pup... :(

Hi Tangwyn,

I've not trialled so far this year as due to the drought no P/S FTs have been held so far this year, however I'm hopeful that with the recent rains to much of SE Oz, we'll be holding trials over the next couple of months.

There aren't any Spaniel/Retriever trials in NSW at present as there are too few rabbits to run them on. However there are indications that rabbits have developed a level of resistance to Myxo and Calicivirus, and that it's the drought that's currently holding rabbit numbers in check. With good winter/spring rain we could see an explosion of rabbit numbers, which while terrible for the environment and farmers, would see the return of Spaniel/Retriever trials to NSW (and Vic, SA, Tas, Qld).

There is also the possibility that a Spaniel/Retriever trial will again be held on pheasants, as was done in SA last year. Lastly there are plenty of retrieving trials running (with spaniels/retrievers competing) that you could watch if they interest you.

Lastly, if you're interested to learn more about Spaniels/Retrievers hunting rabbits, PM your details, including location, I'll see if I can put you in contact with a working Spaniel/Retriever person in your area that might take you out in the paddocks and show you the ropes.

As a die hard working line person, I enjoyed the link. Thankyou.

Mind you I am in a bad mood. A highly regarded successful trainer and trialer suggested one of my labs, was too much dog for me at the last trial. Grrrrrrrrrr.........they are fighting words (but the advice has urged me to prove him wrong).

thankyou for sharing working setters :mad I had never seen what a working line IS looked like, there is always something strange to me seeing the "working " type of breeds it's like a piece of the past is still with us today, as so many breeds have changed dramatically in looks its nice to see what they would have more closely looked like originally as working dogs with shorter coat, ears, looks functional..I think they look awesome :mad

Mind you I am in a bad mood. A highly regarded successful trainer and trialer suggested one of my labs, was too much dog for me at the last trial. Grrrrrrrrrr.........they are fighting words (but the advice has urged me to prove him wrong).

Ouch. If anyone can prove him wrong, LL, you can!

I'm looking forward to meeting this dog - he sounds like a real cracker!! :mad

Tangwyn,

He has redeemed himself at training since the weekend mini disaster. Maybe I have finally gotten over his high naughty behaviour LOL.

Nevertheless no further trials for him until I have total control.

Gee.........total control..........that might mean no more trials ever.

BTW, our mutual friend thinks he is drop dead gorgeous.....or rather drop dead ugly. Threatened to take him to the Victorian Labrador show. Now that would have been funny!!!!!!!!

BTW, our mutual friend thinks he is drop dead gorgeous.....or rather drop dead ugly. Threatened to take him to the Victorian Labrador show. Now that would have been funny!!!!!!!!

I take it he has the compact body-type of the typical US fieldbred Lab then? :D I bet he would have outmoved those poor little stumpy legged show Labs though!! :(

I bet he would have outmoved those poor little stumpy legged show Labs though!! :(

He is a mover I can vouch for that!!

LL - I've had much the same sort of trouble with Zach recently, beautiful control and the appearance that all is well. Then introduce the extra excitement of strange dogs in the field, and bang it's like he can't he the whistle anymore. Proofing for realistic trial-like conditions can be a challenge (pain in the a$$ :D )

Setters, that is one HUGE tongue. Dont think Ive ever seen a toungue hang out so far. Do they do that all the time, obviiously she had been working, but wow :rofl:

Magnificent looking :(

I know this probably seems like a really stupid question. :D

Setters, that is one HUGE tongue. Dont think Ive ever seen a toungue hang out so far. Do they do that all the time, obviiously she had been working, but wow :(

Prika's "foot-long" tongue is only evident when she's hot from running, else she's a perfectly normal looking setter LOL. Not all setters have such huge tongues, in Prika's case it runs in the family and she got hers from her Dam, pictured below.

post-6621-1179869318_thumb.jpg

Edited by Working_Setters