Effective Anti- Chew

Danois

Hi

I need something to apply to paint work to stop Angus from chewing the walls - I now have 5 patches. It seems to be a new bad habit - 3 of the marks have happened in the last week.

Not good when it is a rental...

post-14529-1179410551_thumb.jpg

post-14529-1179410571_thumb.jpg

OMG you poor thing... I'm in a rental too, and Jak used to scratch underneath the doors (mainly when she was in the bathroom overnight). Actually that was one of the reasons I bought her a crate, she can scratch that all she likes otherwise damage to the actual house can wind up being very expensive!!

Maybe you could try spraying the surfaces with Aerogard as Gretel has suggested, or there are other products you can purchase at pet stores etc. Not sure what they're like on paintwork though.

I sympathise :-(

Visit your local horse or stock feeds place and buy one of the products they use to stop horses biting everything. ZI think the stuff we used is called Crib Stop but its pretty old.

In fact I'm going to give the Aeroguard a try :thumbsup:

Hi

I need something to apply to paint work to stop Angus from chewing the walls - I now have 5 patches. It seems to be a new bad habit - 3 of the marks have happened in the last week.

Not good when it is a rental...

post-14529-1179410551_thumb.jpg

post-14529-1179410571_thumb.jpg

Hahah. My cats do that too. I use a squirty gun with a little vinegar mixed into the water. But I have to be sneaky and catch them unawares, or they don't associate the behaviour with the punishment.

I wiped the wall down with white vinegar this morning as an interim measure and then the idiot went and licked it... :mad

How does he do it - he rubs along the wall with his mouth open - they are at his head height. I think the second photo might have been from his nails as it was by the skirting board.

Thanks for the suggestion. I have Bite Free (same as Aeroguard) here and will try that.

<I wiped the wall down with white vinegar this morning as an interim measure and then the idiot went and licked it... >

:laugh: mmm tasty! One of mine used to lick the bitter bite as it ran down the woodwork - ugh!

got a funny story about this.....

Had a black lab puppy (he is now 12) that chewed everything that stayed still long enough including eventually 2 bricks out of the side of the house and half of a concrete step.

After chewing all the chair legs and couch I went to the vet and got something galled No-Gnaw or something similar.

I sprayed everything he liked to chew with it.

Couple hours later he is still happily chewing everything and driving me spare.

Cursing the useless stuff I thought it must not work and so put a bit on my finger and licked it (to check it did really taste yuk)....

........not only did it taste yuk but I had a blister on my tongue for more than a week.

The lab didn't seem to mind the bad taste and burning sensation!!

He grew out of it when he was about 6yo.....and he developed a taste for chilli's so much that he would jump the fence and eat tem off the neighbours plant. Now he just chews rocks (big ones) and has nearly no teeth left!

Some dogs were just born to chew!

One large crate will fix that. If your not around and he's not outside, crate him. Hopefully he'll forget all about the walls as he'll have chew bars/bones in the crate and they'll keep him happy.

Good luck..................... :)