Puberty Blues

~JoLu~

Hi DOLers !!!

Just wondering when doggy adolescence starts??? Jonty has started to show some :thumbsup: changes in his behaviour this week such as:

- when we're out walking and he spots someone, instead of going into wigglebum mode, he's started to do the "I'm a big dog stand";

- he's started lunging at moving objects (ie. joggers, cyclists, ducks etc.);

- he's tried his best to get up on the "good" couch with OH and I all week (had to revert back to food reward training to get him back on his beanbag);

- been waking three / four times a night. Not to go out, just wants a pat, annoy the cat, wander around the house, back to bed;

- he has been poking Maya the cat with his nose. Previously they had a love/hate thing going on. Now all he wants to do is nose-butt her until she goes away

- the weird thing with the heater last night.

There have been some positives, I find he walks better on his lead (except the lunges), as he is staying close to me. Also, his sits when we stop to cross the road have improved (maybe this just clicked in his head :) ).

Anyhoo, just wondering what DOLers experiences have been with teenage dogs (especially large breed, entire, male hounds). What should I expect, how long will it last, should I re-stock the bar now :mad

Thanks,

MP

Edited by maya papaya

How old is he? I would be looking at reassessing your leadership tactics, and if he's pushing to get up onto the couch I wouldnt be luring and treating him.

If he's wandering get a crate. You are not there to control his actions and he'll start getting into mischeif. Crate until he gets let out in the morning for toilet.

I would get really black and white - consistancy is the key to riding out adolescence with a chance. He's going to start pushing the boundries and want to do his own thing. As for the lunging, I would be making him sit when you sight the object and reward him for remaining calm. Dont feed him before you go for a walk and take really really tasty fresh treats (like Kabana, sausage, hot dogs etc) and when the object goes past WOW BIG REWARD for not having a go at it. He will just want to chase and catch, its a matter of supressing that drive until you tell him its OK to show it.

Try an entire male mastiff ... eerrggg .. I have a well stocked bar because I have an entire bitch and another desexed dog too :thumbsup: I'm a masochist hehhe

Thanks Nekhbet for your reply. Is is very appreciated.

Jonty is nearly 8 months old. I wasn't sure when doggie puberty starts. I've read it can be later in large breeds.

I have to say over the weekend, that his behaviour has improved. He is still getting on the couch, however a firm "off" has been enough to get him well ... off :thumbsup: and he was also pretty good on his walks. I don't know if the improvement is because we've been at home with him though.

I did think about crate training (it's not too late at 8 mths???). I thought this would also come in handy should we go on a dog friendly holiday as he could take his den with (hmmmmm).

He gets fed after the walk and is very food motivated (spends most of his walk trying to eat everything), so taking tasty treats along will probably work really well. I'll try that with him on his arvo walk and see how we go.

Any idea on how long this lasts, or is it a "how long is a piece of string" question :)

Thanks

MP

Bella has just started adolescence too...she's 8 months old now and I've simply started being more disciplinary (OH doesn't help though :dropjaw: ).

Nekhbet has good advice. You really have to be consistent to crack this one. (don't tell anyone, but that's where we're having trouble :mad )

EFS

Edited by TessaBella

Bruno is going through a similar thing at the moment, and he is also an entire male ridgeback. He's been very dominant of late, trying to push me off the couch, squeezing in next to me to shove me over, or getting very very sulky if he doesnt get his way with everything. Only started about two weeks ago, and I'm being quite firm with him. His sulks can last for hours! He has also been pulling clothes off the line for the 1st time in his life, and eating his toys (see thread in general!). He has "good" days and "naughty" days, and I'm hoping he gets over it soon - or just goes into his kennel and turns the music up loud (like every other normal teenager hahaha!)

Well, I've been trying my best to be a little miss dominatrix :love:

Actually, what you say Bruno06 is true of Jonty also, he can be very dominant at times and then a complete and utter sook the very next minute ;) BTW I hope Bruno is much better after the "Teddy Incident".

Ah, TessaBella, yes I have no trouble being consistent - it's trying to get OH and the 2 skinkids to be consistent thats an issue :mad .

I filled up my pockets with tasty treats to try Nekhbet's suggestion to stop him lunging at joggers on our walk this afternoon and wouldn't you know it - there was not one jogger, cyclist, runner - NOTHING!!!!! I may have to take OH next time and he can be the "test subject" :love:

We did some obedience training in the park instead :dropjaw:

The little boy is now curled up asleep looking just like a sweet innocent little angel (fallen angel that is :love: ).

Edited by maya papaya

Hi DOLers !!!

Just wondering when doggy adolescence starts??? Jonty has started to show some :dropjaw: changes in his behaviour this week such as:

- when we're out walking and he spots someone, instead of going into wigglebum mode, he's started to do the "I'm a big dog stand";

- he's started lunging at moving objects (ie. joggers, cyclists, ducks etc.);

- he's tried his best to get up on the "good" couch with OH and I all week (had to revert back to food reward training to get him back on his beanbag);

- been waking three / four times a night. Not to go out, just wants a pat, annoy the cat, wander around the house, back to bed;

- he has been poking Maya the cat with his nose. Previously they had a love/hate thing going on. Now all he wants to do is nose-butt her until she goes away

- the weird thing with the heater last night.

There have been some positives, I find he walks better on his lead (except the lunges), as he is staying close to me. Also, his sits when we stop to cross the road have improved (maybe this just clicked in his head :mad ).

Anyhoo, just wondering what DOLers experiences have been with teenage dogs (especially large breed, entire, male hounds). What should I expect, how long will it last, should I re-stock the bar now ;)

Thanks,

MP

With my first dog it started at 15 months. He started going for other dogs, especially the ones younger than him and testing my leadership. As it was first I was totally oblivious to this and although he was an awesome dog I had some leadership troubles all the way to the very end. I recommend dog training school. I have started my new pup at 4 months and we will continue to go for a very long time. I am with the others training and consistency will get you the results you want. Good luck!

Thanks MP, Bruno has recovered after the "giving birth to a bear" incident! I dont have an OH or skin kids to worry about, so it's just me and Bruno, which sometimes exacerbates our power struggles! One day he's such a polite, obedient snuggly little man, next day he's a bitey, naughty, smartass teenager! Just think it comes with the age.

... One day he's such a polite, obedient snuggly little man, next day he's a bitey, naughty, smartass teenager! Just think it comes with the age.

Hmmmmmm. One day (a loooooooooooooooong time ago) whilst I was being a typically horrible teenage girl, my mother said to me " I hope you have a teenager someday just like you, so you know what I had to put up with".

Here I was thinking I had beaten the "curse" by not having any kiddies (my OH has 2) - only for the curse to manifest itself in the form of a wrinkly, wrigglebum Ridgeback :dropjaw::mad !!!!!

Bloody mums - always right in the end ;) :love:

Funny isn't it? This sort of behaviour started with my lad at about 4 and a half months :( He was a right little bugger but lots of consistent training and exposure to his triggers has seen him right. At 6 months he still has his moments of madness but is much less persistent. Good luck - it's all pretty normal, I think...I always try to remember that it doesn't matter what Ziggy does as much as how I respond to it :D

Funny isn't it? This sort of behaviour started with my lad at about 4 and a half months

So it can start as early as 4 months? Herwin has been really difficult for the last week or so. He's been running away from us when he's been naughty because he knows that he is going into timeout (and even when we want to wipe his muddy paws :) ). He has also started biting a lot all of a sudden. We thought we had it under control and then he's started as badly as he ever did (and then running away :rofl:) as well as doing all the little things that he knows that he's not allowed to do all the time. I was shocked last night when he actually started trying to hump my husband's leg :) . He's too young for that sort of behaviour isn't he? Don't tell me my sweet little puppy is turning into a teenager already? And if he starts at 4 months does that mean that he is a teenager for 8 months?? or will we have a lovely well behaved adult at 8mths old? :p

teenage adolescence starts at different ages depending on the breed. My DDB was a sweetheart when he arrived at 7 1/2 months, and didnt try anything really till about 12 months old. At 18 months he was throwing a couple of temper tantrums, and at about 22 months he REALLY threw the tanties. Boy was he sorry :)

Just because your dog starts earlier doesnt mean its an adult earlier. Sometimes its not adolescence its simply inconsistancy in training or between different family members. If your pup is running away from you how have you been behaving? If you are cross the pup learns its better to run away, or you have turned it into a game. Humping can be an excitement thing too, very few puppies have major challenge issues at 4 months.

Funny isn't it? This sort of behaviour started with my lad at about 4 and a half months

So it can start as early as 4 months? Herwin has been really difficult for the last week or so. He's been running away from us when he's been naughty because he knows that he is going into timeout (and even when we want to wipe his muddy paws :p ). He has also started biting a lot all of a sudden. We thought we had it under control and then he's started as badly as he ever did (and then running away :o) as well as doing all the little things that he knows that he's not allowed to do all the time. I was shocked last night when he actually started trying to hump my husband's leg :rofl: . He's too young for that sort of behaviour isn't he? Don't tell me my sweet little puppy is turning into a teenager already? And if he starts at 4 months does that mean that he is a teenager for 8 months?? or will we have a lovely well behaved adult at 8mths old? :D

This is only my experience with my lad...but after working very hard for the last few months (consistent training, consistent training and above all else consistent training :) ) I have such a lovely young gentleman on my hands. He's a ripper pup - and is learning to channel his energy and enthusiasm for life into behaviours that I find appropriate - lots of positive reinforcement (clicker training is handy), fun toys as a reward for coming back, loads of interaction, plenty of sleep (underestimated IMO) and sufficient exercise without overdoing it. I've had numerous comments from Dal owners in the street on how well behaved he is for such a young lad. Even a show judge stopped me at the beach one day to comment the same - it makes all the hard work worthwhile...especially when you know your pup will be welcomed at the local cafes....although he's still a bit restless and loves to give our resident felines a hard time :)

ETA: sometimes it's as simple as a new toy! My pup tires of novelty very quickly....even rotating toys doesn't always work...just went out and bought 3 reasonably cheap toys (Ziggy helped to choose of course) and he's in heaven now! He'll get one at a time...

Edited by The Spotted Devil