Gunky Ear

I was giving my dog an ear rub and realised his ear was full of dirt, mixed with wax. It wasn't like this before I took him to the groomers last week for a bath (surely they'd have said something if it was?) nor was it like this yesterday. He's not had ear infections before, as far as I know (I adopted him at 10 and a half last June) and this does not seem at all infected. Doesn't smell, it's just gunky. I've tried to clean out as much as I can without hurting him but I'm a bit wary of going further in case it is infected. He's only been shaking his head since I started cleaning it. At first I thought it was a lump coming out of his ear but nope, just dirt mixed with wax. I have Ilium Oticlean as an ear cleaner which has been good so far but again, I'm a bit wary of using it in case his ear drum is hurt. Vet visit tomorrow, I think. Any suggestions in the meantime?

Edited by Sheridan

have any Malaseb on hand? Make a mix 1 part Malaseb and 30 parts water and syringe it in and squish it around, then wipe out as much as you can with a cotton ball. this will help start to kill any infection if there is one.

Edited by shmoo

The dilution rate for Malaseb is 1:50 with luke warm water - it wont hurt an ear drum.

Just keep in mind that if you clean out all the goop tonight that it may make it difficult for your vet to get a swab to examine microscopically tomorrow.

Edited by Rappie

The dilution rate for Malaseb is 1:50 with luke warm water - it wont hurt an ear drum.

Just keep in mind that if you clean out all the goop tonight that it may make it difficult for your vet to get a swab to examine microscopically tomorrow.

i hear 1:30, 1:40 and now 1:50... whats really right? is there anyway i can find out?

Edited by shmoo

No Malaseb, no syringe. He's shaking his head a lot now so I've dislodged something.

ETA: he's not upset or in pain, it seems. And there's still enough in there to swab. :dropjaw:

Edited by Sheridan

I'd not being doing anything prior to visiting the vet. Leave the ear as is. It will be easier for the vet to make an accurate diagnosis or swab it if it isn't full of chemicals.

Yes - sorry - I agree. If you do decide to go to the vets just leave it :dropjaw:

i hear 1:30, 1:40 and now 1:50... whats really right? is there anyway i can find out?

Contact Dermcare and ask :dropjaw:

It was previously 1:30, but last time I spoke to the rep they had been trialling 1:50 and it worked just as well.

Straight from the rep, as Rappie said 1:50 is fine. Better for us as the Malaseb goes further :mad

Sounds like the groomer let too much water in the ear/didn't dry it out properly, next time you take the dog there emphasis that he may be prone to ear infections. I've worked in places before where groomers may aswell have just stuck a hose in the dogs ear :dropjaw:

Edited by Dru

Well, we toddled off to the vet this morning. The vet's concern was that there might be a grass seed in there as he's seen quite a few recently. He pulled a pile of gunk and hair out (no grass seed) and has given me some antibiotic ear drops and wants me to wash the ear out each day, plus a cortizone tablet for three days. We have to go back on Thursday so he can make sure the ear is getting better. Cortizone tablt wrapped in a Ziwipeak treat all gobbled down.

. He pulled a pile of gunk and hair out

The groomer should have been pulling out all the hair.......

Admittedly, I didn't point out the ears and didn't tell them to do that. He was there for a bath but the vet thinks they didn't dry the ears properly. I used to use this great powder stuff to pull out ear hairs but haven't seen it for ages. Can't remember what it's called.

Edited by Sheridan

. He pulled a pile of gunk and hair out

The groomer should have been pulling out all the hair.......

While I do agree with you....it can depend on the area. I have a vet in my area who requests that groomers do not pull the hair out, insisting it causes infected ears.

I s'pose it depends on the groomer then? As I do the ears for just baths. Ears and nails always get done, I also encourage clients to drop in free of charge for in between ear shaves/plucks and nail clipping.