Taking One Dog Out Of The Yard

I own 2 german shepherds and as fox terrier.The main problem is with the foxie who carries on barking and howling when i take one or both the shepherds out of the yard for a walk.I left one of the shepherds with him this morning thinking that if he had company he may not carry on but i was wrong.He barks and howls constantly the whole time i'm gone.This isn't a new problem,he's always done it but as we've moved closer to neighbours it is a problem now

Anyone have any suggestions,i'm sure it will drive the neighbours mad as we have only recently moved here

julie

What's he like if you take him for a walk and leave the others at home?

Hi Erny,

he loves to go for a walk himself and is as good as gold,(no barking or howling) when he's walks and i reliase its just that he wants to come but thats not always possible,not enough hands for 3 dogs at once! but i need to stop the carry on thats he's doing or i'll be getting a call from council

thanks for any advice

julie

Your Leadership is intact? .... Assuming "yes", but don't dismiss it if it is not as this is can be an important component of dogs 'creating'.

On the assumption it is all in order there, what about crating the foxie (even indoors) and leaving him with a bone to gnaw on while you are gone.

ETA: I jumped a step in my line of questioning ..... :)

If you are there but one or all of the other dogs are not, what's the Foxie's behaviour like?

Edited by Erny

Your Leadership is intact? .... Assuming "yes", but don't dismiss it if it is not as this is can be an important component of dogs 'creating'.

On the assumption it is all in order there, what about crating the foxie (even indoors) and leaving him with a bone to gnaw on while you are gone.

ETA: I jumped a step in my line of questioning ..... :)

If you are there but one or all of the other dogs are not, what's the Foxie's behaviour like?

i will try the crate with him, and a bone just have to get one as only have larger ones for the shepherds.

I'm never actually had either of the other dogs go anywhere without me as they're my dogs so if they go for walks or in the car i'm the one doing it so if they're gone,i'm gone as well.Might have to get someone else in the family to take the 2 shepherds out and see what happens

thanks again

julie

i presume the foxie has always lived with the GSDs....

its prob sep anxiety from them .... i didnt some work with my girl when i first got her to avoid that issue - involved seperating them at all times when i was not physically in the room/yard - i did it from a baby and she now 10 months - very few issues with taking 1 out and not the other. they will bark a couple of times (to express their displeasure!) and then shut up.

yep ttry crating and distraction - does foxie cry if you let the other 2 in and not him or visa versa.

i presume the foxie has always lived with the GSDs ... its prob sep anxiety from them ....

It is possible (hence my last question to the OP) but not necessarily probable.

My girl Bella does exactly the same thing when I take Roggie out for a walk - I have to walk them separately because, if together, it's a competition to see who can yank my arm out of its socket the fastest. If i take Bella first, Roggie has absolutely no problem and will happily be distracted by a pig ears. When Roggie goes out & Bella has to stay behind, there's whining & carrying on & "look at meeeee! Pay attention to MEEEEEE!"...no amount of piggy ears can ease the pain of being left behind!

Teaching quiet has worked with me and leaving my husband with a water squirt bottle. After a couple of WELL timed water corrections, they learn.

When I train others, that is another story. A few intermittent extra water squirts are required!!!!

i presume the foxie has always lived with the GSDs ... its prob sep anxiety from them ....

It is possible (hence my last question to the OP) but not necessarily probable.

He haesn't always had these 2 gsd's for company.When i got him i had another gsd who died of old age than i had a period of time with just him before i got my 2 girls.

He doesn't have a problem with them coming in and him being left outside which is a very common occurrence as he is a leg cocker so not allowd inside.Took one of my gsd for a walk today while hubby was home and while he didn't bark and howl,just did some whining hubby said he runs from one side of the yard to the other constantly

Will get a supply of large bones and crate him to see if that works

julie

I guess you need to determine if the racket is b/c of sep anxiety, or jealousy. Like LL, the problem I have with my dogs is definitely jealousy, dogs B and C are pissed that A is out of the pen and having fun and they aren't, so they voice that opinion. Like LL I solve it by correcting dogs B and C for their inappropriate vocal behaviour. Squirt bottles and water bombs are good for this.

Yes its separation anxiety.

Just inregards to the crating, please crate train the foxy well Make sure the crate is not seen as punishment. If the foxy loves the crate, see it as a den, then it will work beautifully. I'm new at clicker training but would think that clicker training can be a great aid in crate training.

My kelpie yelps and howls when I take my Westie to the groomer.

But I found that if she gets to actually see the Westie get in the car AND ALSO get to watch the car drive off, then she settles nicely and snoozes around the house until the Westie comes home.

He doesn't have a problem with them coming in and him being left outside which is a very common occurrence.

Ok - that's a start to narrowing it down to something more conclusive.

Took one of my gsd for a walk today while hubby was home and while he didn't bark and howl,just did some whining hubby said he runs from one side of the yard to the other constantly

Was that behaviour in relation to YOU and ONE of the dogs leaving, or just one of the dog's leaving?

You can narrow things down even further if you can arrange for someone other than you or your OH leaving. IE Someone outside of the family takes the dog out.

Chances are it isn't separation anxiety. But it's not completely ruled out. Nor is 'anxiety' of some sort ruled out yet.

Out of the 3 dogs, who is top dog?

How long before the whining etc. began after you and/or the other dog/s leave?

How long before the whining ceases?

All these sorts of questions go towards more firmly determining cause.

Edited by Erny

He doesn't have a problem with them coming in and him being left outside which is a very common occurrence.

Ok - that's a start to narrowing it down to something more conclusive.

Took one of my gsd for a walk today while hubby was home and while he didn't bark and howl,just did some whining hubby said he runs from one side of the yard to the other constantly

Was that behaviour in relation to YOU and ONE of the dogs leaving, or just one of the dog's leaving?

You can narrow things down even further if you can arrange for someone other than you or your OH leaving. IE Someone outside of the family takes the dog out.

Chances are it isn't separation anxiety. But it's not completely ruled out. Nor is 'anxiety' of some sort ruled out yet.

Out of the 3 dogs, who is top dog?

How long before the whining etc. began after you and/or the other dog/s leave?

How long before the whining ceases?

All these sorts of questions go towards more firmly determining cause.

thanks for your imput Erny,

will arrange for someone else to take one of the gsd's out without me although at this stage it will have to be one of my kids as we have just moved here and i don't know anyone else here and see what his behaviour is like.

I know before we moved here we lived on a battleaxe block and had gates across the driveway and the foxie would usually sit at the gates waiting for me to return,sometimes most of the day although did not carry on like he is when i take one of the dogs out,just used to sit there!

One of the gsd is top dog although i think somtimes he likes to think he is,i only think this in the fact that wherever they have squatted to do a wee he will go over and urinate in that spot,sometime even doing it on them while they are still going! is that him is trying to be top dog?????He gets feed last and is not allowed in side or on any furniture.

thanks again for everyones ideas,hopefully we can fix the problem before anyone complaines

julie

I have a similar problem with my male Pei

As long as he does not see me leave he does not carry on. I put him in his crate upstairs with a bone or pig ear and he is fine

If he sees me go out the door with the female or sees me walk off up the street he howls until I come home